European Tour drops British Masters.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The trick is, it has a half decent hotel.

That is open to debate as well....

It is a shame but I agree the Brabazon, although holding a decent history (for 2 holes anyway), is by no means a top class course. The draw of the Tour to Asia, Africa etc means the slightly dated UK courses and facilities simply cannot compete. This may be a wake-up call that history counts for nothing.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can think of a number of top courses that seemingly have seen little of the big events over the last 20 yrs some have had a mention already. There have been new courses appear in recent years and no doubt may get a crack at hosting with the right money/backing thrown in. Its a shame really, perhaps annual rotation between more top courses would be better no matter what the tournament.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
From what I read, both the English Open and the Brit Masters should be back next year. St Mellion for the English and TBC for the Brits.

Hope its not too far from me as I like going - go back to the Forest of Arden!!!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Tbh the European tour is trying to attract USPGA players and with that they want 25+ degrees of sunshine with zero change of rain consistantly over the program, could that be anything to do with it?

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
which means The Belfry is now not a venue used by the European Tour.

Good, it's not a great course compared to many others that have been overlooked for tour events.

I'm not sad..... :)
Completely agree. Vastly over-rated becasue of the 10th & 18th. Anyone remember a single other hole on the course? Thought not.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com

Good, it's not a great course compared to many others that have been overlooked for tour events.

Completely agree. Vastly over-rated becasue of the 10th & 18th. Anyone remember a single other hole on the course? Thought not.

Are you asking from the perpective of someone who has played it or just watched?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played it..... :)

It's a good course, but not great i.m.o.

Sadly, for me and other grass roots Birmingham golfers (I was one) it just got so damn big for it's boots.

The Forest of Arden went the same way.......

When I was organising society days out for "serious" players in the Birmingham Alliance (the muni's) we had to look elsewhere in time....such a pity.....

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No matter what people think of the track itself it is a great spectator event there at the Brabazon/Belfry. And I for one will morn its loss from the calandar. It was also an event of exemely good value to attend for events & central to the UK, with good communications leading to the site, was ideal.

I really think its a sad loss. Yes, perhaps the British Masters could be held at numerous locations across the country & in some respects if it isn't going to be held at the Belfry its an event that needs to take place somewhere. I will freely admitt to being slightly selfish as the Belfry is almost on my doorstep. & I really think many events these days seem to take place in the South East & surounding London, which alienates & ignores the rest of the country. The North West Have some great tracks & events & the British Open for one tends to visit all the usual suspects. It is refreshing that the British Masters has for so long allowed itself to be tied to the Central Region of the Midlands & the Belfry, which was used on several occasions for the Ryder Cup.

Come on European Tour Buck up your ideas & return the British Masters & Return it to a Good course in the Midlands region. The Belfry May have been Ideal, but I can think of Many excellent courses around the Midlands, though not all with the facilities the Belfry has.

Sad loss :(

Vincent

Club Champion
Visit site
I went to watch the British Masters for several years when it was at Woburn.
I would love it to get back there some day. Great track, has sufficient room for a European Tour event and is reasonably easy to get to being 20 minutes or so off the M1.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I can remember numerous holes around the Brabazon, it has some great spectator holes, each with a different challenge & feature. The staff have recently re-designed certain holes to add even more individuality to certain holes.

I've followed numerous groups around the Brab' on all days for at least the last 3 years, so probably have as much of an idea of how it plays & where to find the best vantage points (& there are many) around the course. When I & the other half walk the equivelent of at least two maybe nearly three rounds a day when the Masters is on, it soon becomes clear that its more than a 2 trick pony.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to watch the British Masters for several years when it was at Woburn.
I would love it to get back there some day. Great track, has sufficient room for a European Tour event and is reasonably easy to get to being 20 minutes or so off the M1.

Although Woburn is clearly in the London Commuter belt it at least is on the better side for the Majority of the UK to get to & I would happily drive down for an even there.

But knowing what the M1 can get like around Milton Keynes I have a few reservations, but as I say, would still consider going there happily for a few years.