European Tour drops British Masters.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
The European Tour has dropped the British Masters from its schedule this year, since the event's sponsorship deal ended last year they havent been able to find a new sponsor.....which means The Belfry is now not a venue used by the European Tour.

Such a shame that this truly magnificent course and HQ of the PGA is no longer on any of the 'proper' tours.

I think the owners of The Belfry (Quinn Hotels) need to step up to the plate and do something about this drastic decline of what is surely a huge part of English golf's heritage as to see it falling by the wayside like it has is not pleasant :(

andyd

Visit site
Such a shame to see this event dropped from the schedule. I was fortunate enough to work at 3 British Masters when i was a greenkeeper at the Forest of Arden and they were always great events with a good turnout from spectators.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it had been on the cards for a while but how many tournaments does that leave on the tour in England? It can't be many and as the current HQ for the PGA it doesn't set a good example especially as Germany has a couple as does Spain

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
which means The Belfry is now not a venue used by the European Tour.

Good, it's not a great course compared to many others that have been overlooked for tour events.

I'm not sad..... :)

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm annoyed by this only because I went on the Sunday last year, which was in fact my birthday, and had a great day out. The Belfry was a reasonable distance from where I am and I would most likely have gone this year as well. It is a shame as the tournament used to draw a reasonable crowd, and a good set of players. (Westwood, Fdez Castano, Mcilroy, Singh etc)

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Not may HJS as the English Open has been dropped too by all accounts :(

Dave - how can you say that about a course steeped in such history, and the venue for 4 fantastic Ryder Cups?

The Belfry is to english golf what The Maracana is to Brazilian football.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think its a disgrace that England now only hosts one tournament on the European tour (BMW - I think). How can a country with a multitude of decent tracks fail to get a significant sponsor and organise a worthy tournament. I don't actually buy into the recession argument either as other country's are in the same boat. It says a lot about the way our game is being managed if it has come to this.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played it and didnt rate it either.

Sure its a nice course, but there are lots better in the Uk, loads.

Fulford, Ganton, Woodhall Spa..........could go on & on.......

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave - how can you say that about a course steeped in such history, and the venue for 4 fantastic Ryder Cups?

The Belfry is to english golf what The Maracana is to Brazilian football.

Rubbish. It not a great course, the pro's don't like it a great deal. It "muscled" in on the whole RC thing to the detriment to previous far-more-worthy venues. Birkdale, Lytham, Walton Heath.....

These courses lost out to the money and might of the Belfy....good matches or not, victories or not, they (the organisers) should never have lost sight of where the RC should be held.....at the great historic courses of England, Scotland, NI and Wales. No-one had a look in until now....

Roll on 2010. RIP Belfry......

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
There's 3 events in England now HJS:

BMW @ Wentworth
European Open @ London Golf Club
Seve Trophy, this doesnt have a cenue listed however it is normally at either Wynyard or Slaley Hall.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The trick is, it has a half decent hotel. People playing, and press/tv guys need a hotel. Woodhall is a fantastic course, but the local amenities are rubbish wrt holding a tour event.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I stand corrected on the number of events but even show for a country with as many good courses as we have I still think we need an English Open. We are the only main European country now (with the exception of Northern Ireland) that doesn't hold a national open on the European Tour.