European Super League

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think they should start in the championship, but they wouldnt be there long.

Both massive clubs, with EFL money theyd have bigger budgets than they do now, they'd both get promoted within 3 years I reckon. Wouldnt be suprised if one went up first try! Its a poor championship at the moment.
I think this is about right. Current Celtic & Rangers sides are probably mid-Championship standard, but given the size and stature of the clubs, if you plonked them into the English leagues they would soon attract better players and be established Prem sides in a few years I think.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having been at Old Trafford the last time Celtic visited I can tell you the atmosphere generated by their fans was incredible but, at times, toxic. I’ve not felt that level of intimidation at a ground since the bad old 1st Division days of being a United fan at away games when, at times, I was genuinely frightened. I recall having a pane of glass pushed out and onto us in a pen, coins and seats hurled at us and, on one forgettable FA Cup trip to Highbury in the 80’s, having home fans urinate on us from an upper concourse. The Celtic game and atmosphere, at times, reminded me of those days.

Having also policed over a hundred games over the years, including in the EPL, I am now reasonably switched on to when the level of toxicity I experienced at that Celtic game is likely to spill over to issues outside a ground which require police intervention.

I’m not sure the police would be too keen to have the Old Firm travelling down here every other week.
Fully agree. I went to see a Celtic European match that was moved to Old Trafford because, if my memory serves me correctly, Celtic were banned from playing it at home. In those days there was a certain amount of camaraderie between Celtic and United fans so we were supporting Celtic. It was absolutely horrendous. The crowd were like animals. The opposition keeper was assaulted. United were playing an away European match, I think in Scotland and every time United scored the Celtic fans booed.
I can’t honestly remember the result but I am not sure it was good for Celtic. Either way I have never felt as uncomfortable in a football ground and came away with a real dislike for Celtic.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I think they would turn the ‘big 6’ into a ‘big 8’ with 2 teams missing out each year fairly randomly decided.
I think they would have an advantage over teams like Bournemouth, Swansea, ... based on location. The UK is fairly spotty, football wise. London, Manchester/Liverpool (yes, I lob them together as region), and there might be a gap further north. Glasgow.

I still would not admit them, play your way up from the bottom if you want to join. Why should they have more rights than Brentford?

D

Deleted member 16999

What would happen to Scottish football if the 2 big clubs join down south...?
Great question, plus why should any team governed by a different FA be fast tracked in to our leagues at the expense of English teams?

D

Deleted member 15344

What would happen to Scottish football if the 2 big clubs join down south...?
Prob the same as what would happen if the big 6 left the Prem - it would drop in quality and would be competitive to start with until a couple teams became a bit more stronger than the others

It’s never going to happen then going straight into the Prem - they have no right to do so

But what I think would be good is if they merged the two league cups to make it cup between all the teams in England and Scotland - worked in Rugby and would be a starting barometer

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Hopefully you will realise that I made the very same point myself on at least two occasions.
You are simply incapable of conducting a reasonable discussion or even understanding a simple point made in a discussion especially if it differs even slightly from your own.
FYI every discussion does not need to be an argument.
You clearly have a problem with me, even though you don’t know me, have never met me and know nothing about me. We had this before and you said you would try to do better. Empty words.

Please, just leave me alone. Ignore me. Don’t answer my posts and don’t refer to me. Don’t PM me. I am not interested in your opinion, don’t bother yourself with mine.
And for the love of God, stop trolling!

I suggest you stop posting or quoting if you do not want replies to your opinions, this is a forum for discussion and no offense, if you post people will reply so best you sit in the corner quietly.

There was no trolling in any of his posts...

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suggest you stop posting or quoting if you do not want replies to your opinions, this is a forum for discussion and no offense, if you post people will reply so best you sit in the corner quietly.

There was no trolling in any of his posts...
Honestly, I simply wouldn’t answer any of his posts if they weren’t in reply to mine. I have previous experience and it’s not pleasant. He answered my very innocuous post and came straight out with the assertion that I didn’t understand how the Premier League works. It’s all there, you can read it. After that I think I have the right to reply, which I did, politely. Unfortunately the conversation decended from there so I asked him to just leave it and that I would do the same. Sadly it seems he was unable to do that. I ignored his response, so he referred to me in a post to someone else. I answered him and requested he leave it again and he wouldn’t. That is classic trolling. I am sorry if you disagree. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.
I have been on this forum for 8 years and I have had some great debates and indeed some right ding dongs in that time, particularly over Brexit. Never have I had to speak to a moderator or had to put a fellow forummer on ignore. Not once.
If I am honest, I haven’t posted on here for some while because the last time he had a go the moderators had to get involved by PM. The episode was unpleasant and upsetting. We worked it out between us by PM but TBH I didn’t want to risk a repeat episode. I was right to be cautious. It happened on practically the first post I made since.
Such unpleasantness sucks the enjoyment out of the forum. That’s why political posts were banned, I am sure. Part of me thinks I should just leave it, part of me questions why I should be bullied off posting. You say, I should sit in the corner quietly. Why should I? Is his opinion worth more than mine? Honestly, I don’t mind arguing with him. I will stand my ground. I don’t mind alternative opinions. I just don’t think every discussion needs to be an argument and I am pretty sure other forumers don’t want to read two people having a go at each other.
I am sorry to put this in public, but you did ask and I am going to defend myself.
Now, I am not sure if you have seen it, but a moderator has asked us to leave it. So that is all I am going to say on the matter and as far as I am concerned the matter is closed.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The clubs outwith the new/old firm would all be jumping up and down with sheer bliss and start enjoying a much fairer and competitive league.
Attendance figures would improve and clubs will become richer.

Sounds like the small pond rejoicing at the departure of the big fish... :LOL:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Prob the same as what would happen if the big 6 left the Prem - it would drop in quality and would be competitive to start with until a couple teams became a bit more stronger than the others

It’s never going to happen then going straight into the Prem - they have no right to do so

But what I think would be good is if they merged the two league cups to make it cup between all the teams in England and Scotland - worked in Rugby and would be a starting barometer
Thats a good idea. They need to do something about the league cup, at the moment its just a poor relation to the FA cup that no one gives a rats about until they get to the semi final