European Super League

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
so the new champions league format (superleague in all but name)

They would seriously struggle to get out of the championship. I don't mean that in a nasty way but that league is tough and full of very good teams

Look how long Leeds took to get back !
Exactly.

I suppose it would be fun watching them get relegated in their first season. After decades of winning everything, can you imagine how their fans would cope with being beaten every week.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They would seriously struggle to get out of the championship. I don't mean that in a nasty way but that league is tough and full of very good teams

Look how long Leeds took to get back ![/QUOTE]

Very good teams like Fulham, Palace, Bournemouth, Sheffield Thursday, West Brom etc etc...........aye right.:love:

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Very good teams like Fulham, Bournemouth, Sheffield United. aye right.

Very good teams like Fulham, Palace, Bournemouth, Sheffield Thursday, West Brom etc etc...........aye right.:love:

In the Premier League they aren't the best. But do you honestly think Rangers and Celtic are the same standard? They could be with investment. But as they stand, in my opinion they would seriously struggle to get out of the Championship or stay in the PL if thats where they were put.

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh not again ?‍♂️ - Rangers and Celtic will only want to move to the Prem to get more money , it’s not going to happen unless they want to start from the bottom and work they way up - I suspect both would end up being mid table teams

As for the Super League

Time to move on now until the next time it comes up - which will be the 4th time

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
In the Premier League they aren't the best. But do you honestly think Rangers and Celtic are the same standard? They could be with investment. But as they stand, in my opinion they would seriously struggle to get out of the Championship or stay in the PL if thats where they were put.

I think they should start in the championship, but they wouldnt be there long.

Both massive clubs, with EFL money theyd have bigger budgets than they do now, they'd both get promoted within 3 years I reckon. Wouldnt be suprised if one went up first try! Its a poor championship at the moment.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Seriously ........ATM Rangers and Celtic are better than the teams mentioned, maybe similar to Palace.
With the extra cash involved they would be top six within the EPL in a couple of years
FGS Bournemouth with its crappy wee ground and fan base survived for quite a while in the Premiership and Ollie McBurley is worth £20m in your little bubble.:love:

D

Deleted member 16999

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56842442

Apparently it’s not over, the 12 Clubs involved have a “binding” contract and they’ve been working on it behind people’s back for nearly 3 years!! I guess that takes the no fans, covid argument off the table!

Absolute no trust with these Clubs!

This needs sorting once and for all, those Clubs need to guarantee to drop this ESL monopoly and work with and within existing structures or all these apologies that have come out are worthless.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56842442

Apparently it’s not over, the 12 Clubs involved have a “binding” contract and they’ve been working on it behind people’s back for nearly 3 years!! I guess that takes the no fans, covid argument off the table!

Absolute no trust with these Clubs!

This needs sorting once and for all, those Clubs need to guarantee to drop this ESL monopoly and work with and within existing structures or all these apologies that have come out are worthless.

I obviously don't know the details but from my point of view Perez is a desperate man who is trying to keep the project going as Madrid are in a world of financial trouble, he has also been made a laughing stock because of this whole thing so his pride has taken a battering. I am not convinced the clubs would have signed a binding contract before the annoucement was made given the likely legal battle they were going to face from the EPL, UEFA etc etc.

D

Deleted member 15344

I obviously don't know the details but from my point of view Perez is a desperate man who is trying to keep the project going as Madrid are in a world of financial trouble, he has also been made a laughing stock because of this whole thing so his pride has taken a battering. I am not convinced the clubs would have signed a binding contract before the annoucement was made given the likely legal battle they were going to face from the EPL, UEFA etc etc.

The Super League talk has been going on for decades. It was first muted in 1992 I think it was -then 1998 again , then I think about a decade ago

Whilst UEFA continue to display their issues and their own money grabbing and incompetence then the clubs will continue to look towards ways to challenge them - the Super League talk is never going to go away , it will either be used as leverage or one day it may well replace UEFA CL

D

Deleted member 16999

Totally agree and easily sorted, get the 6 PL Clubs to clarify the situation.

There were reports on Sky the contract was 177 pages long and a discussion as to whether they’d signed a contract or an intent.

Shouldn’t be too dificult to sort out.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Seriously ........ATM Rangers and Celtic are better than the teams mentioned, maybe similar to Palace.
With the extra cash involved they would be top six within the EPL in a couple of years

At the expense of whom?

There is no way either club would squeeze out Man City, United, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal (yes, really!), Leicester and perhaps a handful of others.

Celtic and Rangers are the stand out teams in an appallingly uncompetitive league, and their performances in Europe year in, year out are indicative of how they would perform in the Premier League. Yes, I accept that their financial situation would change with the money available to them, but both are absolutely miles away from being top six sides. Miles away.

D

Deleted member 16999

The Super League talk has been going on for decades. It was first muted in 1992 I think it was -then 1998 again , then I think about a decade ago

Whilst UEFA continue to display their issues and their own money grabbing and incompetence then the clubs will continue to look towards ways to challenge them - the Super League talk is never going to go away , it will either be used as leverage or one day it may well replace UEFA CL
Then these Clubs need to work within their own leagues/FA’s etc to sort UEFA out, not break away on their own.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hopefully @Sweep has got the message by now.(y)
Hopefully you will realise that I made the very same point myself on at least two occasions.
You are simply incapable of conducting a reasonable discussion or even understanding a simple point made in a discussion especially if it differs even slightly from your own.
FYI every discussion does not need to be an argument.
You clearly have a problem with me, even though you don’t know me, have never met me and know nothing about me. We had this before and you said you would try to do better. Empty words.

Please, just leave me alone. Ignore me. Don’t answer my posts and don’t refer to me. Don’t PM me. I am not interested in your opinion, don’t bother yourself with mine.
And for the love of God, stop trolling!

D

Deleted member 15344

FGS Bournemouth with its crappy wee ground and fan base survived for quite a while in the Premiership and Ollie McBurley is worth £20m in your little bubble.:love:
Replacing which team ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Hopefully you will realise that I made the very same point myself on at least two occasions.
You are simply incapable of conducting a reasonable discussion or even understanding a simple point made in a discussion especially if it differs even slightly from your own.
FYI every discussion does not need to be an argument.
You clearly have a problem with me, even though you don’t know me, have never met me and know nothing about me. We had this before and you said you would try to do better. Empty words.

Please, just leave me alone. Ignore me. Don’t answer my posts and don’t refer to me. Don’t PM me. I am not interested in your opinion, don’t bother yourself with mine.
And for the love of God, stop trolling!
More rubbish, grow up, I have absolutely no issue with you, I simply disagree with you on some parts of this debate!

I responded immediately with the facts about Utd and rather than acknowledge or accept you were wrong you threw your teddy out.

Obviously more posters clarifying the Utd situation wasn’t for my benefit.

And again, if you respond directly to me, expect a response, you have that control.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What they could or could not do given mountains of cash is pretty irrelevant. There is no desire in the English leagues to bring them in, from fans, teams, police!, anyone. It's rolled out every so often by the Scottish media, possibly the 2 Glasgow teams, but down here it is tumbleweed stuff.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
What they could or could not do given mountains of cash is pretty irrelevant. There is no desire in the English leagues to bring them in, from fans, teams, police!, anyone. It's rolled out every so often by the Scottish media, possibly the 2 Glasgow teams, but down here it is tumbleweed stuff.

Having been at Old Trafford the last time Celtic visited I can tell you the atmosphere generated by their fans was incredible but, at times, toxic. I’ve not felt that level of intimidation at a ground since the bad old 1st Division days of being a United fan at away games when, at times, I was genuinely frightened. I recall having a pane of glass pushed out and onto us in a pen, coins and seats hurled at us and, on one forgettable FA Cup trip to Highbury in the 80’s, having home fans urinate on us from an upper concourse. The Celtic game and atmosphere, at times, reminded me of those days.

Having also policed over a hundred games over the years, including in the EPL, I am now reasonably switched on to when the level of toxicity I experienced at that Celtic game is likely to spill over to issues outside a ground which require police intervention.

I’m not sure the police would be too keen to have the Old Firm travelling down here every other week.

DCB

Visit site
Behave yourselves gents, you need to agree to disagree on this one, it's an emotive subject but please, behave properly to each other.