Etiquette question

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm playing in a fourball tomorrow with the club captain and the Rabbit's captain. Do I refer to the captain as Mr Captain all day or just the 1st time I addrsss him ? how do I address the rabbit's captain ?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just relax with them and when you introduce yourself to them im pretty sure their not going to introduce themselves as Captain x and captain y....

Also use the occasion as topic of conversation with them....
Im sure they'll be alot more approachable than you realise.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shake hands upon meeting as usual,address them as mr captain and mr rabbits captain. You have done your bit then .It should be first names from there on.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Habbit drilled in from a summer or two as a kid at a bit of a stuck up club, I call everyone sir unless I know them well.

Played a match with the captain and called him sir after the initial introductions "mr captain" etc.

Played my regular four ball partners dad a few weeks later, called him sir all the way round.

Cant help it, any senior or person older than me is automatically sir

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice to see in this day and age SB. ;)

Would take the title with respect on the first tee. After that I'd probably tell you to call me by my first name.

That is what most people do, if they introduce themselves and say "call me X" I wont bother, most of the senior players like being called "sir".

I think once I start to look older maybe they thing it is a bit strange but I am only 26 and I look a lot younger so it isnt so bad,.

I find that a majority of rounds I only call people sir if they are a senior, anyone who isnt mostly only happens when it feels right ie during a rules check or conceeding of putt in matchplay etc, for general chat and banter it is usually first names.

I think matchplay should always be sir, its a time where it is also a mental tool as well as good etiquette.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
address them as Mr Captin? are you kiddin? this is a golf club not the army. get yourself out of their arse and stop boot licking before you come down with cherry blossom poisoning.

first name plane and simple.

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, most helpful. I already know the rabbit's captain from the gym.

FFBrown, at our club the Captain is supposed to be addressed as MR CAPTAIN. If you have a problem with a club having rules like that, join another club.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Cant help it, any senior or person older than me is automatically sir

[/QUOTE]

If you call me Sir, you will get a kick up the jacksie !! :( :( :( :D

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have this rule too and i call the Captain by his first name. The Captain before the current one didnt really like it but life goes on and the current Captain doesnt mind as long as your not shouting abuse at him :D :p

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I am 58 and would always want to be called by my shortened name - Chris

I dont expect anyone, 26 or any age, to call me Sir on the golf course. I really thought those days had gone.

By the way, just before I wrote this, our club Captain phoned me over a matter I asked about the other day and I wouldn't have dreamt of calling him anything other than by his christian name and when he phoned he gave both
his christian and surname when I answered.

Chris

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always called him Mr Captain when I first spoke to him and then his name afterwards. I don't see it as any big deal at all. It's really just observing a bit of tradition.