Energy company gone bust

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening all

I'm in a rented house, been here 7 months with gas and electric supplied by Avro energy - who went bust last Wednesday.

Email today from octopus energy advising that ofgem have put them in charge of all the Avro customers..... We don't have to stay with them, but have to at least wait until they have taken over supply.

I compared the electric and gas rates to my current deal and this is what I found:

Electric is 50% more expensive
Gas is DOUBLE the price.

We currently pay a combined £83 per month for a 3 bed house, 2 adults and a child with us at work/school 5 days a week.

I know gas is at a premium at the moment... But surely not everyone is paying £150ish a month for energy?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Company I was with went bust last year. Was paying £60 for gas plus electricity. Now paying £90. I expect I will be paying £120 soon. 3 bed detached.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening all

I'm in a rented house, been here 7 months with gas and electric supplied by Avro energy - who went bust last Wednesday.

Email today from octopus energy advising that ofgem have put them in charge of all the Avro customers..... We don't have to stay with them, but have to at least wait until they have taken over supply.

I compared the electric and gas rates to my current deal and this is what I found:

Electric is 50% more expensive
Gas is DOUBLE the price.

We currently pay a combined £83 per month for a 3 bed house, 2 adults and a child with us at work/school 5 days a week.

I know gas is at a premium at the moment... But surely not everyone is paying £150ish a month for energy?

I'm with octupus

Very cheap when I signed up

I pay £160 a month (choice as I'm well in credit) but that covers the car aswell

Prob could get it down to nearer £130 a month but want to have a reserve for these type of situations

We are very high use house tho on none charge days 20-25kw usage on charge days 45 kw

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I should add

Electric right now through them I pay 14.12p (5.5p 0130-0630)

Gas 2.51p ... However quotes atm come up 25p electric 5p gas

But they don't advertise go for the car and when I look it still says 5p night 15.5 day so will have to see

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I should add

Electric right now through them I pay 14.12p (5.5p 0130-0630)

Gas 2.51p ... However quotes atm come up 25p electric 5p gas

But they don't advertise go for the car and when I look it still says 5p night 15.5 day so will have to see

Ball park what I'm seeing also

Old gas 3.01... new gas 5.98
Old electric 17.11 new electric 25.5

Best get the Mrs to order an extra thick onesie this year.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ball park what I'm seeing also

Old gas 3.01... new gas 5.98
Old electric 17.11 new electric 25.5

Best get the Mrs to order an extra thick onesie this year.

Have you tried others? I know that edf was 19p for electric

With octupus the good bit is the fix but with no pen to leave (is that still the case?)

As march the cable from France gets fixed so electric should drop back to more the 15p region .

My gas runs out Nov but electric is Feb so I'm hoping by then I can wing a month

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quotes for my usage suggests that Octopus is about £20 pm dearer that EON for any new customers. EDF are £48pm dearer (£200 exit fee). BG £35 (£100 exit). OVO £50 (£60 exit)
I think Sainsbury's are backed by EON and are giving 12000 Nectar points for signing up.

Best bet is to wait for the Ofgem process to complete (credit balance refund guaranteed) and then check prices for a switch. Some suppliers seem to have a leave "no penalty tariff" at present.
Octopus had the best Which? customer service rating.
Outfox the market seems to be the cheapest but they are smaller.

Last edited:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quotes for my usage suggests that Octopus is about £20 pm dearer that EON for any new customers. EDF are £48pm dearer (£200 exit fee). BG £35 (£100 exit). OVO £50 (£60 exit)
I think Sainsbury's are backed by EON and are giving 12000 Nectar points for signing up.

Best bet is to wait for the Ofgem process to complete (credit balance refund guaranteed) and then check prices for a switch. Some suppliers seem to have a leave "no penalty tariff" at present.
Octopus had the best Which? customer service rating.
Outfox the market seems to be the cheapest but they are smaller.

Sainsbury's is British gas btw

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did a quick quote yeah, but honestly I'm never entirely sure how much energy I use and as Avro went bust I can't see my usage statements..... So a bit in the dark.

I'll wait for the ofgem process to happen and then shop around, octopus did strike me as being a bit toppy on the pricing!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did a quick quote yeah, but honestly I'm never entirely sure how much energy I use and as Avro went bust I can't see my usage statements..... So a bit in the dark.

I'll wait for the ofgem process to happen and then shop around, octopus did strike me as being a bit toppy on the pricing!

Octupus were one cheapest around.. I do wonder if the taking of customers automatically they all put their prices up .. just seems the timing ...

Have u got emailed statements of usage?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sainsbury's is British gas btw
From their website

Sainsbury’s Energy is a trading name used under licence by E.ON Next Energy Limited. Registered office: Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry

The E.ON group is based in Essen, Germany

Last edited:

Miller

Visit site
Martin Lewis is recommending that people take photos of their meters and get statements (and any credit) before their energy company goes completely belly-up. It's always possible that a company might stop paying their bills and their website might disappear.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Martin Lewis is recommending that people take photos of their meters and get statements (and any credit) before their energy company goes completely belly-up. It's always possible that a company might stop paying their bills and their website might disappear.
That's just what Ofgem and the new suppliers are advising.

The Avro site is not showing previous Statements or Meter Readings. This has been showing for some days
We're unable to retrieve your data at this time. We've added your request to the queue, check back in 15 minutes.

From Octopus
My advice to you is for now, please keep your meter readings and have proof (photos). We'll be in touch with all the customers transferring over and once all the data has been uploaded and checked in our system, we'll send you out a statement of where you were up to with Avro and then we'll go from there.

Last edited:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From their website

Sainsbury’s Energy is a trading name used under licence by E.ON Next Energy Limited. Registered office: Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry

The E.ON group is based in Germany

I stand corrected. They were British gas when I was with them few years ago

Looks like they change supplier more often than I do

Founded in 2011, Sainsbury's Energy is a virtual utility provider in partnership with nPower who offer gas and electricity. Sainsbury's no longer have face-to-face salespersons in-shop but there are leaflets and posters etc. advertising Sainsbury's Energy in its supermarkets.[149][150] Sainsbury's Energy was previously supplied by British Gas; the agreement ended in 2019 with nPower commencing supply from February.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Avro aren’t the first, and certainly won’t be the last. The Ofgen price cap for gas is currently lower than the unit cost of gas these companies are paying, so it’s no wonder some are going under. The price cap is being (next month I believe) so most will have increased bills if not straight away but definitely when their current deal ends.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Worth having a look at Utility Warehouse. They gave me a really good deal, matching the previous fixed rate dual fuel tariff I had been with from British Gas for the last year, i.e. didn't suffer from the increase in wholesale costs. Yes, to get the best deal I had to switch home broadband too, but they even covered any penalties to break my existing (Sky) broadband.

We now pay c £130 p.m. for a 4 bed detached house (wife and I are retired so at home most of the time).