Elon Musk

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Preferred if he spent the Twitter money on making his cars look better ;)
Nothing wrong with the external 'look' imo. Lack of the usual 'face' could be contributing. I'm not keen on the monstrous screen inside though.
It's the recent change to BMW's 'face' that I'm more inclined to give the thumbs down to. Though if it helps engine cooling, then c'est la vie.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did he not already pay about $10b in tax last year. While it made him the highest taxed individual in history, I am assuming those 10b could be easily distributed to every American and still have change. So did the IRS do that? Imagine if someone in the UK paid that kind of taxes. The chancellor would be camping outside his house.
Non Doms get away with it...:cool:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
interesting.. have put it on my lunch time reading list today.
first reaction... it sounds logical, but when you depict a series of non-coinciding events on an axis --> the axis will be called 'time' (in theory you could call it anything). Same way as distance is a gap between two non-overlapping objects either linearly (x axis) or height (y-axis)
Will read it and come back

It appears that he has considered time travel.
Elon Musk Would Use a Time Machine to Warn His 20-Year-Old Self Against 'Dumb Things' (businessinsider.com)

So what would I have told myself at 20? Has to be don't take up a game you can't lick (golf).

I accept that time does not exist because it is always local and never universal.
It's a bit like quantum decoherence where the landscape is fuzzier the closer you get to it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It appears that he has considered time travel.
Elon Musk Would Use a Time Machine to Warn His 20-Year-Old Self Against 'Dumb Things' (businessinsider.com)

So what would I have told myself at 20? Has to be don't take up a game you can't lick (golf).

I accept that time does not exist because it is always local and never universal.
It's a bit like quantum decoherence where the landscape is fuzzier the closer you get to it.
Until you stop distorting what you quote, your utterings will continue to be 'totally worthless and dangerous diatribe literary events'!
He was specifically asked what he'd tell his 20yo self to do if he had a time machine!

On a 'positive' note...that 'time may not exist' concept has been around for quite a while. I believe it was one of the possible topics my late bro was consideration for a PhD under Prof Kerr when the latter returned to NZ. He became a meteorologist instead!

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
On a 'positive' note...that 'time may not exist' concept has been around for quite a while. I believe it was one of the possible topics my late bro was consideration for a PhD under Prof Kerr when the latter returned to NZ. He became a meteorologist instead!

Being a meteorologist is a great profession for someone who doesn't believe in the concept of "time" . All you need to say is "it's gonna rain" but not needing to say when !

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Being a meteorologist is a great profession for someone who doesn't believe in the concept of "time" . All you need to say is "it's gonna rain" but not needing to say when !
His particular area was not weather as such, but in calculation of the effects of the many variables/requirements relating to industrial chimneys!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
On a 'positive' note...that 'time may not exist' concept has been around for quite a while.
Yes if time baffled the ancient Greeks (Antiphon an example) then it has indeed been around for 'quite a while'.
It also baffled earlier cultures who thought time might even be cyclic and not linear.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think you need to brush up on Einstein's theory of time and gravity known as General Relativity.
It means they are only metaphors for the curvature of space.
Or you could try the brilliant John Wheeler.
"Matter, charge, electromagnetism and other forces are only manifestations of the curvature of space."

In other words, nothing other than the warping of space-time actually exists.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you need to brush up on Einstein's theory of time and gravity known as General Relativity.
"Matter, charge, electromagnetism and other forces are only manifestations of the curvature of space."

Yes, but you have to remember that it's physicists - ie people who need help tying their shoelaces - who tell us this ...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Are you telling me that if spacetime wasn’t curved magnets wouldn’t stick to my fridge and my toaster wouldn’t work?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yes, but you have to remember that it's physicists - ie people who need help tying their shoelaces - who tell us this ...
But my favourite person ever was Einstein, a man who used thought experiment to change the way we think of the world.
Will Elon Musk still be remembered in a 100 years time?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Preferred if he spent the Twitter money on making his cars look better ;)

especially the entry level versions common as family cars and business fleet vehicles. To have them available in such basic colours is crazy, an easy start point would be an upgrade colour pack!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But my favourite person ever was Einstein, a man who used thought experiment to change the way we think of the world.
Will Elon Musk still be remembered in a 100 years time?
I think he will be remembered in the same way as the great Victorian engineers. He is revolutionizing the car industry, space, anything he is involved in. He is a radical thinker with bottomless pockets, a very interesting combination.

There are times when his brain and his mouth don't engage together but overall he is a positive influence. We need people like him in the world.