Elite…. a small group of people within a large group who have more power, etc

justagolfer

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Oh Ethan...I don't do huffy, nor for that matter girney or moaney. I do reasoned debate combined with honest strait talking and the occasional barb to attract the readers attention.

How in this instance does the location of the statements define how they should be interpreted? All I wanted were the views/opinions on the various statements either in isolation or as a whole. We both know it is a view held by many that golf suffers from elitism. So whether GW the Star or the Guardian should not influence the readers opinion. All the more reason for not stating the “where “ in the first place. But now every one knows and from the 17 responses we get 3 that make some meaningful comment on the question under debate. The remaining 14 or so speak volumes about the mentalities of many who prowl these sites.

Have a nice Christmas

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh Ethan...I don't do huffy, nor for that matter girney or moaney. I do reasoned debate combined with honest strait talking and the occasional barb to attract the readers attention.

How in this instance does the location of the statements define how they should be interpreted? All I wanted were the views/opinions on the various statements either in isolation or as a whole. We both know it is a view held by many that golf suffers from elitism. So whether GW the Star or the Guardian should not influence the readers opinion. All the more reason for not stating the “where “ in the first place. But now every one knows and from the 17 responses we get 3 that make some meaningful comment on the question under debate. The remaining 14 or so speak volumes about the mentalities of many who prowl these sites.

Have a nice Christmas

More, people, myself included, might have contributed if your response to Homer's question was so confrontational. You see, if you want people to discuss stuff with you, it's usually a good idea not to be so condescending. Frankly, I doubt your capable of reasoned debate so I won't bother.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I presume that the OP's still banned from the HDID forum as he's on here questioning peoples mentality.

If he keeps moving to different forums he might find one eventually which matches his own mentality.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I’ve save the best for last. """"They have dress codes, rules and etiquette demands""" Don’t know whether to laugh or cry. So we who cherish all that is good about golf should abandon our standards ( whatever the dress code may be at each club ) and let the troglodytes in.

Yes, certain golf “clubs” are exclusive both in cost and behaviour and why not. Does a man not have the right to choose who he associates with and how that association is conducted. Or like much of life today do we drag everything down to it’s lowest common denominator. And ask yourself would that be good for golf ?

I read the letter and though it made some decent points. Silly dress codes and at times, antiquated rules on etiquette are not what is good about golf. I have been asked to buy white socks as my socks I had on for a game of golf in 28 degree heat were light grey. And trust me, my immediate through was not that this is what is great about golf.

And I don't suppose the irony dawned on you, who I have to assume is a member of a golf club, are referring to people as troglodytes yet you are attacking someone who called the game elitist?

And as for "Yes, certain golf “clubs” are exclusive both in cost and behaviour and why not". Well one reason why not would be that golf has a history of racism and misogyny, which in my book is not a good thing. And the fact that these certain golf clubs are now letting in black people and even some have gone so far as to allow boys without a winkle who have lady bumps instead (well not all golf clubs, but you can't rush this equal opportunities thing as it may be a passing fad) is very good for golf.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
And anyway, this was not the best letter in Golf World this month. I most enjoyed the one from a Brendan Hayden who got so upset that he had to email the magazine. And the topic he was so upset about was that in the pictures of the recent Ryder Cup celebrations, Darren Clarke was photographed with a beer and a cigarette in his hand. Which Mr Hayden thought was a very poor reflection on a potential Ryder Cup captain.

I don't know about you, but I am also shocked to find out that Darren Clarke likes a drink, and the least GM could have done is pixilate the beer out.:eek:

I tells you, it must have been a very slow month for incoming letters to Golf World........

justagolfer

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
.No one said it was the best letter ..Hacker... I said it was the letter of the Month....Please don’t put out false information.

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
And anyway, this was not the best letter in Golf World this month. I most enjoyed the one from a Brendan Hayden who got so upset that he had to email the magazine. And the topic he was so upset about was that in the pictures of the recent Ryder Cup celebrations, Darren Clarke was photographed with a beer and a cigarette in his hand. Which Mr Hayden thought was a very poor reflection on a potential Ryder Cup captain.

I don't know about you, but I am also shocked to find out that Darren Clarke likes a drink, and the least GW could have done is pixilate the beer out.:eek:

Sounds a bit elitist to me, surprised the OP didnt complain about that letter too

justagolfer

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It’s as I said. Hawkeye… “”The remaining 14 or so speak volumes about the mentalities of many who prowl these sites.”” .. So you reply …I should, ""Not to be so condescending. Frankly, I doubt your capable of reasoned debate so I won't.

Anyway have a nice Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

justagolfer

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
PhiltheFragger.......Oh yes he did....but will GW publish my response?

Still, wishing you a merry Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I read it as I subscribe to Golf World. TBH it was one of the most ludicrous letters I have ever read. £20 per round and clothing costing hundreds, what a load of rubbish it wouldn't have even been printed in GM.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
£20 per round and clothing costing hundreds, what a load of rubbish.

I know, you can't play a round on a half decent course for under £30 nowadays.

And to be fair to the guy who wrote the letter he said equipment and clothing costing 100s of pounds. Which it does, not just clothing, which does not. Unless you are a fan of Galvin Green.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s as I said. Hawkeye… “”The remaining 14 or so speak volumes about the mentalities of many who prowl these sites.”” .. So you reply …I should, ""Not to be so condescending. Frankly, I doubt your capable of reasoned debate so I won't bother.””

Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawkeye, People like you truly are the most unthinking incompetents..

Anyway have a nice Christmas.

If it wasn't for forum rules, I would have posted the first message I wrote.

You see the thing about Internet forums is you have to use the written word to get accross your personality, attitude etc. it's not the same as face to face conversation where you can use expression as part of the conversation. People will make judgements based on what you write and how you respond to people. You don't strike me as unintelligent and I get the impression you are quite articulate. I therefore have to form my opinion of you by your response to others posts and based on your responses to certain things on here, particularly your response to Homer's perfectly reasonable question, I have to form the assumption that you are of a certain character that I can't describe without getting a slap on the wrists by the Mods.

Still, once people here have had enough of you, or you've been banned, you'll no doubt be off to another forum bothering someone else, can't come soon enough.