Eliminating spin on bump and run shots?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last week in a effort to be mire creative around the green I dropped the 52* wedge on a few occasions to try bump & runs. Now as a junior these were always a favourite of mine but no matter what club I used I found my bump and rubs were not running. Ok our greens were soft but everything from stock 46* wedge down to 7i would bounce and check almost instantly.

I would say my technique was pretty quite with the hands, weight on the front foot with a pretty level back and through swing, 

Any tips on generating more roll with bump and run shots?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No divots, and I'm assuming anything from ten yards up to the fringe. A perfect example is I was just off the fringe with about 40 feet to the hole, got a 7i out, few practice strokes with plenty of swing power to get part the hole, chipped to about 25 feet hoping for 10 foot of roll, instead it pitched checked and stopped within 3ft. Leaving a long put which resulting in a up and down in 4 :(

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No divots, and I'm assuming anything from ten yards up to the fringe. A perfect example is I was just off the fringe with about 40 feet to the hole, got a 7i out, few practice strokes with plenty of swing power to get part the hole, chipped to about 25 feet hoping for 10 foot of roll, instead it pitched checked and stopped within 3ft. Leaving a long put which resulting in a up and down in 4 :(

How high are they going?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you have got your distances the wrong way round. For B&Rs it should be on the ground rolling more than it's in the air.
In your example you've lofted it over 1/2 the way to the flag.

Even if you have to get down to a 5 or even a 4iron, the softer you have to hit it will also help take the spin off.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I know 3 feet isn't much but I'd say it's a bit high.
If I'm chipping around the fringe, about a foot is the highest it will get.
The rest sounds ok, just soft greens and pro V1s?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to have this problem, I had the clubface open and got a little bit of wrist. I cured it by taking my putting grip and closing the clubface a little at address. Now they are sweet :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Was getting quite a bit of check today with my 52 and a ProV but the greens are really soft so it's not surprising.
Give it a month or two and you'll be moaning that they don't stop!! :D :D :D :p

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I bump and run a proV1 with a 54 degree wedge. Never gets more than a foot off the deck. Either your greens are puddings, or your greens are puddings.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think you have got your distances the wrong way round. For B&Rs it should be on the ground rolling more than it's in the air.
In your example you've lofted it over 1/2 the way to the flag.

Even if you have to get down to a 5 or even a 4iron, the softer you have to hit it will also help take the spin off.

^
^
^
Wot he said.

You are not 'bump and running' you are chipping.

Bump and run = 6-iron, two feet airborn and 24 ft of run.

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As JustOne and Robobum said, I would also try and get the ball running as fast as I can, so if I'm quite close to the edge of the green take a longer club, say 4i or 5i, and even then it would be marginally back in my stance, hands forward, weight mostly on left leg, and then use more of a putting stroke.

I just want to get the ball landing on the green as quickly as possible, and let it run out the rest of the way.

Easy back and through.