Electric Trolleys and Lithium Batteries

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm going to be using my soon approaching birthday to purchase an electric trolley.. i've read numerous threads here but still can't make my mind up as to whether i should go lead acid or lithium battery?

I'm pretty set that i'll be getting a Motocaddy S1 so it's just people's opinions on the battery.. Having spoken to the guys at American Golf they insist that a lead acid will have a problem 1 month after the warrenty and that Lithium is the way to go.

Cost is a consideration but both within budget.

My club is pretty flat and not too long so would a lead acid wear out as quickly if maintained properly?

Thanks

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've got a 5 year old Powakaddy with 2 lead batteries that I alternate, both still going strong with no problems whatsoever. Sounds to me like AG are just trying to scare you into spending extra cash.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
My husband recently found that lithium batteries can cut out mid round if subjected to a jolt (like a tree root) and nothing will get them going again until a full recharge

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lithium for me. No question. Lighter, charge quicker, 5 year guarantee. cost is an issue, but if you play enough they pay for themselves and well worth the investment.

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's only really a two year guarantee really though isn't it? I have read about the cut out too. Given the price difference is £150 it's nearly the cost of a lithium battery it seems sensible to go lead surely and then replace with a lithium after first cut out. By this point they would hopefully be cheaper.

Is it purely the battery that is the liability in lead ones or is it a different trolley? From a reliability point of view is it just the battery that needs to be considered?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lithium for me as i play about 4 times a week, seemingly the more you discharge and recharge lead acid ones the shorter the life span.

The previous 2 lead acids I've had only lasted about 14 months each, i still use the old one if i'm only playing a few holes.

My lithium has fell off quite a few times with no problems . The guarantee is full for 2 years, then on a reducing sliding scale for the next 3 years. You also need a special charger for lithium so i was told.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a lithium, it does 36 holes easy and charges in 2 or 3 hours, never had a problem with it cutting out, except when the connection get loosen, but it just a case of pushing it back in. I have probably had around 400 rounds with it without issue.

The only minor downside is that if you do run it right to the end of the charge you don't get much of a warning before it goes.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I work in research and development for a company that uses thousands of lead acid, ni cad and now lithium batteries. Most of the above is fairly accurate, lithium charges much quicker, last longer, needs a different charger to match the battery (so don’t be tempted to use a lead acid charger) they’re smaller, lighter, more environment friendly . They are pricey but I can see lead acid being outlawed one day. Lithium runs longer with more power, but you don’t get much warning as the battery drops off much quicker than other types of batteries where the power drops more gradual.

If you can afford it Lithium is the way to go.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A question for those who have 18 hole Lithium batteries.

How many holes have you played beyond the 18 before it runs out of puff?
The most I've played on the same day was 22 with no sign of any problems. I have also played 9 holes one day then 18 the next on the same charge with no problems.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I work in research and development for a company that uses thousands of lead acid, ni cad and now lithium batteries. Most of the above is fairly accurate, lithium charges much quicker, last longer, needs a different charger to match the battery (so don’t be tempted to use a lead acid charger) they’re smaller, lighter, more environment friendly . They are pricey but I can see lead acid being outlawed one day. Lithium runs longer with more power, but you don’t get much warning as the battery drops off much quicker than other types of batteries where the power drops more gradual.

As soon as the warranty becomes a proper 5 yr warranty rather than a 2 yr warranty with partial add ons for the next 3 years I expect a lot more people will be prepared to move across, personally couldnt justify the extra money based on the warranty when i last looked

D

Deleted Member 1156

A question for those who have 18 hole Lithium batteries.

How many holes have you played beyond the 18 before it runs out of puff?

I managed 39 from a 18 hole LEAD battery when I forgot to change it at lunchtime :eek::D

Morning match went to the 19th and afternoon to the 20th.

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
My lead acid battery is 2/3 years old and still comfortably does 36 holes. It does however take a while to charge.

How long does it take to charge a lithium after 18 holes?

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Couldn't justify the lithium model at this point, will do in 15 months time when the lead battery fails!
Bought the s1

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played today with new member who has electric trolley repair business.

He's not convinced by the lithium batteries and at this stage recommends the lead acid. He also alluded to the possible banning of lithium as that aren't recyclable so end up in land fill and are very toxic.

By far the best trolley is a Motocaddy in his opinion.

D

Deleted member 15344

My lead acid lasted about 18months before it started to struggle

Had my lithium 2 years now and goes 36 holes with ease.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I spoke to Motocaddy the other day and they said that giving the lithium battery a little charge over lunch should see me to the end of 36 holes, I had pointed out to them already that I only play 36 holes once a month on 6 occasions per year.

Although looking at the posts above I might just chance it and see where it runs out.......... thankfully the next 36 holes does not involve scaling the north face of the Eiger!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Not too sure about Lithium being 'environmentally friendly'. A bit like saying Nuclear Power (of which I'm an advocate) is environmentally friendly!