Electric Trolley

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Interested to know how people felt after transitioning from carry / Push to an Electric Trolley. I know it can only be an advantageous step but was the difference negligible or night and day toward?

I play on a course that is flat front 9 and then steep up, down and side to side slopes on the back 9. A push trolley would be fine for the front 9 but I would rather carry than push up some of the steeper gradients on the back 9.

My lower back has never been the greatest and I’ve put a little timber on over the last couple of years.

I can’t help but think the additional energy, and likely lesser lower back ache would be a huge advantage on the closing holes. I’ve played 45 holes over the weekend and my back is still shot from carrying.

I've had a quick browse and whilst I was initially drawn to the Motocaddy / Powakaddy they jump in price when you start adding lithium batteries.

I stumbled across this, seems a decent deal for a reputable brand, any comparable trolleys out there at a similar price point?

https://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/18-hole-lith-hillbilly

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I picked up a PowaKaddy second hand on eBay with an unbranded lithium battery for £90. That was 2 years ago and zero problems, touch wood. I too had lower back pain carrying and it’s gone. I only notice it now if I play 3 days in a row in the summer. I can heartily recommend it, though I still enjoy carrying a half set of carrying if I’m only doing 9 or a practice. Competition time and it’s trolley every time, no decisions about what to leave behind - everything including the kitchen sink goes in.

However lower back pain can be lots of things. For me it was the fact that sitting at a desk all day means my hamstrings became very short and tight. I try to stretch them whenever I can. I’m not a gym person and wouldn’t say it’s a regular thing but I’m just aware of it and try to keep them from seizing up again. It’s made a huge difference- though carrying a half set for 18 will always remind me I don’t do it enough. Electric trolleys are the dogs bits. Go for it

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i switched about 5 years ago because i was finding i was running out of energy on the back 9 in particular 16,17 and 18 i felt exhausted and my score on those holes suffered. went to a tour bag and i can pretty much get everything i need in it and then the same again;) so are never caught short needing drink or waterproofs and cold gear.

I brought a top of the range motocaddy, but if i'm honest it was a bit of waste as i don't really use any of the extra features apart from the stop watch looking for balls in matches.
I would recommend a basic model they just does stop and goes, but would go with Lithium, lighter and lasts longer.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had had a motocaddy s1 for a few years now and never had a problem,agree lithium pricey but been a good investment for me at least,I love it and won’t look back.Having said that I often play bounce games and winter golf with a pencil bag and half a dozen clubs for ease and lightness but if it’s a full bag it’s gotta be a power trolley

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still carry, push trolley and electric trolley and like you my lower back is not the best. The electric trolley is definitely much much better than carrying or using a push trolley. I would advocate a lithium battery too its lighter and generally easier to deal with.

Personally I have had the basic M series from Motocaddy for about 8 years now, its not let me down once !!

I only carry or push now if I think it will be beneficial for the course or if there's a trolley ban.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I picked up a PowaKaddy second hand on eBay with an unbranded lithium battery for £90. That was 2 years ago and zero problems, touch wood. I too had lower back pain carrying and it’s gone. I only notice it now if I play 3 days in a row in the summer. I can heartily recommend it, though I still enjoy carrying a half set of carrying if I’m only doing 9 or a practice. Competition time and it’s trolley every time, no decisions about what to leave behind - everything including the kitchen sink goes in.

However lower back pain can be lots of things. For me it was the fact that sitting at a desk all day means my hamstrings became very short and tight. I try to stretch them whenever I can. I’m not a gym person and wouldn’t say it’s a regular thing but I’m just aware of it and try to keep them from seizing up again. It’s made a huge difference- though carrying a half set for 18 will always remind me I don’t do it enough. Electric trolleys are the dogs bits. Go for it

Thats a bargain, I might have to keep an eye on the bay.

I have a litte pencil bag that will come out in the summer as I go straight to the course from work which is less onerous, just at the minute theres a lot of weight being carted around which is doing me no good. I have always enjoyed carrying and will do during practice rounds with less gear.

Unfortunately my bad back comes from being a gym goer, I have sciatica so I have to stretch and swim a lot to help keep it at bay as much as possible otherwise I become a bit of cripple.

The problem i've found recently is that the front 9 is a doddle as its flat and I can maintain a good posture however with the hills on the back 9 i find myself slouching somewhat whilst carrying which starts to pinch the nerve. My thinking with a trolley is I can maintain a good posture at least and it should do more good than harm.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I was really unsure about an electric trolley a few years ago and bought a reconditioned model to see if I could get on with it. First time out I couldn't believe how less tired I felt at the end. I was convinced after one round & soon after bought a brand new model. I have a remote & love it. A mate of my recently went electric & complains that having to hold it all the time, bent over, hurts his back. It's not everyone's cup of tea but the remote means very little bending over & manoevering of the trolley. Alternatively, look at the GoKart with the sensor handle, which matches its speed to your walking pace.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where are you based? I have a Motocaddy M3 Pro with 36 hole lithium that I may be getting rid of in the next couple of days....it's just a nightmare to try and send.

I am on a flat track, and an electric trolley is a waste really

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a 2nd hand powakaddy and unbranded battery about 5 years ago. Probably the best bit of kit I've bougt over the years. Can pack everything in without worrying about weight. It gave up the ghost after a couple of years so i bought a brand new basic model Powakaddy but opted not to fork out for the lithium battery... seeing as the lead one is included in the original price it seemed a rip off to fork out extra. When the lead one goes I'll replace it with a lithium one.

My only gripe with the Powakaddy is that the handle is quite low, and the brolley attachment is quite short, so combined, when you put a brolley up, unless your quite short, you can't see under the brolley unless you tilt it back. Other trolleys I have seen have taller handles which means the brolley is much higher and youbdont have to duck to see where you're going.

I still carry a half set in a pencil bag onbyhe summer and occasionally use my stand bag if I don't need all my wet kit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I found a huge difference. I have a basic GoKart with lithium battery and it suits me fine. Easier on my lower back, I don't reach holes 14 / 15 and feel tired in my shoulders any more. Make the change, I don't see a downside.

Fabia999

Visit site
I wanted to an electric trolley as I have a bad back.

I tried to keep the cost down but eventually ended up getting the s3 pro. They had a good deal where you got a cart bag included. It's a big initial cost but it takes that extra pressure off and totally worth it imo.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Trying to walk up a hill pushing a trolley is hard work. There’s no way I could walk upright with a good posture going up any sort of hills and that coupled with having asthma / COPD made it hard work. Electric for me all the way.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My only gripe with the Powakaddy is that the handle is quite low, and the brolley attachment is quite short, so combined, when you put a brolley up, unless your quite short, you can't see under the brolley unless you tilt it back.

Fair point. Fortunately I’m a hobbit. Worth considering if you’re tall 👍🏻

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
[QUOTE="Maninblack4612, post: 194397I have a remote & love it. A mate of my recently went electric & complains that having to hold it all the time, bent over, hurts his back. It's not everyone's cup of tea but the remote means very little bending /QUOTE]

Worth bearing this point in mind.If you can, try a mates for a round or so, you may find a similar problem.
I had an electric one some years ago, and I found that it gave me a bad back!
Explanation was that the constant reaching for the controls, especially when reaching to stop it, must have been at the wrong height or something, because when I carried ( in the winter), then the back mended.
When I returned to the electric trolley, the bad back returned.
I have now returned to golf and tried pulling a trolley which knackers me after 9 holes, so it's buggy or electric remote for me.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I have a very old Powakaddy Classic (£25 from Gumtree!). Pretty skint all the time, will be absolutely gutted when it gives up the ghost. Pretty much all our courses in Devon are very up and down. Really helps with my lower back pain!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Budget options- offmetrolley and caddymatic are definitely worth a look. I have one, my mate has the other, both done everything we've needed so far.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
See how I get on over the weekend, Just got a S3 Pro as it seems a no brainer really.

Old man has got back into golfing so see how he finds it too as he has a bad back occasionally post round.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Trolleys don't need to be remote controlled for you to walk alongside or behind it. They run on their own once activated! No need to touch it whilst in motion except to switch off, change speed or nudge direction. Saves the back!

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gokart are great. The auto speed is best with no knobs,buttons or switches to get wrong. I use lead acid batteries, just replaced old one that did seven years playing four times a week.