EG App - Remove Round?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
For the first time I played the other day on my own and used the app to keep score. Then I realised this was a mistake as I can't get someone to attest the round. I latterly received an email asking me to complete the round or face a penalty. Any suggestions on what to do?

MACM85

Visit site
Guess email EG and own up to the mistake and ask for them to delete it. Hopefully they see that it was a honest mistake and don't put a penalty round on.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
For the first time I played the other day on my own and used the app to keep score. Then I realised this was a mistake as I can't get someone to attest the round. I latterly received an email asking me to complete the round or face a penalty. Any suggestions on what to do?
Email your handicap sec explaining that, they can delete it and save you from a penalty score

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What, actually, is a penalty score..?
I get that you get one if you sign in and don't return the numbers but what is it..?
A level par round? Or 30 over?

MACM85

Visit site
I get that you get one if you sign in and don't return the numbers but what is it..?

We had a chap walk in this past weekend and the penalty score was maximum score per hole in line with his handicap. I don't understand the logic as surely you're just giving shots back and potentially not penalizing the golfer.

RichA

Visit site
The app won't allow me to keep score on my own. It won't start the round unless a playing partner is entered.

Swango1980

Visit site
The default penalty round is SUPPOSED to be equal to a score that would be equivalent to a player playing to their course handicap. That way, it is more neutral, in the sense if a player does this frequently, the automatic process doesn't start giving them a ridiculously low index (if the penalty scores are low) or a ridiculously high index (if the penalty scores are high). However, the handicap secretary would still need to know the reason why no score was submitted, as a different penalty score might be necessary to counter what the player might have been trying to influence (not sure how igolf will monitor this, especially with persistent offenders).

That being said, if a player actually submits a score, but it is not attested by a marker, then I believe the penalty score is simply the score that was entered? However, the fact that it is a penalty score, I guess, highlights there is an issue with it, so any handicap secretary can easily identify this, especially with persistent offenders, and try to get to the bottom of it.

wjemather

Visit site
Ask them what the penalty is.... that would be interesting! :)
I depends on the method of registration and scores entry, and the reason for failure.

If registration and score entry is done via the MyEG app but is not attested, the actual score gets submitted to the system and marked as a Penalty Score.
If no score is submitted, and the reason for failure to submit is invalid and there is no manipulation, a Penalty Score equal to playing to handicap is entered.
If there is manipulation, then a Penalty Score equal to the highest or lowest score differential is entered.

wjemather

Visit site
We had a chap walk in this past weekend and the penalty score was maximum score per hole in line with his handicap. I don't understand the logic as surely you're just giving shots back and potentially not penalizing the golfer.
That is more likely a result of the competition software (incorrectly) submitting "all zeros" which gets converted to nett double bogeys for handicapping. This should be remediated by the handicap committee.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The default penalty round is SUPPOSED to be equal to a score that would be equivalent to a player playing to their course handicap. That way, it is more neutral, in the sense if a player does this frequently, the automatic process doesn't start giving them a ridiculously low index (if the penalty scores are low) or a ridiculously high index (if the penalty scores are high). However, the handicap secretary would still need to know the reason why no score was submitted, as a different penalty score might be necessary to counter what the player might have been trying to influence (not sure how igolf will monitor this, especially with persistent offenders).

That being said, if a player actually submits a score, but it is not attested by a marker, then I believe the penalty score is simply the score that was entered? However, the fact that it is a penalty score, I guess, highlights there is an issue with it, so any handicap secretary can easily identify this, especially with persistent offenders, and try to get to the bottom of it.
This is complete nonsense, but seeing as who posted it, it's no surprise. Just ignore this, it's so wrong

D

Deleted member 29109

How do you accidentally use it to keep score? Don’t you get some kind of a warning when signing in that you must complete the round and so on?

D

Deleted member 3432

What are you on about. Explain? Given that you are probably the least respected poster in this forum by anybody who knows anything about rules and handicaps, that is rich coming from you

Maybe have a read of your post, great explanation of a penalty score but of absolutely no use to answering the question asked by the OP ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Maybe have a read of your post, great explanation of a penalty score but of absolutely no use to answering the question asked by the OP ?
The OP had already been advised to speak to his handicap secretary. However, Imurg then posted (Post #6) asking what a penalty score was. OK, I did not reply directly to that post, but hopefully the fact that my post was less than an hour later, anyone reading it would be able to interpret who I was replying to.

That said, BB said nothing about me not answering the OP, but that my statements were rubbish, I'd simply like to be given more constructive feedback, If everything I said was rubbish (which it is not), I'd like him to tell us all how exactly it is wrong, and what the right answer is. Since I was talking about automated penalty scores, then I guess I could have caveated what I said as to what MyEG does (I'm in England, so what I am used to). I appreciate there are many global pieces of software, and they may do different things. If BB is based on Scotland, and the Scottish version does something different, then I've absolutely no problem in him clarifying that. Just like I've no issue with someone based in the US explaining what theirs does.

There is nothing I said that contradicted what wjemather stated in #10 by the way.