Edzell and Forfar golf clubs

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm playing Edzell (twice) and Forfar towards the end of August and wondering if anyone has played these courses recently and can give me any heads up to what they are like.

I had a look at Edzells flyover and the course looked like it had a lot of undulating fairways and some undulating approaches to some greens so maybe quite tricky.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm playing Edzell (twice) and Forfar towards the end of August and wondering if anyone has played these courses recently and can give me any heads up to what they are like.

I had a look at Edzells flyover and the course looked like it had a lot of undulating fairways and some undulating approaches to some greens so maybe quite tricky.

Sorry haven't played these, but Edzell is mentioned on the top 100 website under Scotland, so is obviously a cracking course and well maintained.

Also note the James Braid redesign. Basically he is a big risk / reward guy. So usually most holes will ask you to play 1 big shot to bring birdie into play. But you could play it conservatively and make an simple bogey. Often a gulley off the tee, or a burn to carry. Alternatively a raised / plateau green that need an accurate approach. Not usually both on the same hole.

A yardage book may be worth investing in.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Both are great courses and Edzell has loads of bunkers so watch out. I am sure you will not be disappointed with any of them

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry haven't played these, but Edzell is mentioned on the top 100 website under Scotland, so is obviously a cracking course and well maintained.

Also note the James Braid redesign. Basically he is a big risk / reward guy. So usually most holes will ask you to play 1 big shot to bring birdie into play. But you could play it conservatively and make an simple bogey. Often a gulley off the tee, or a burn to carry. Alternatively a raised / plateau green that need an accurate approach. Not usually both on the same hole.

A yardage book may be worth investing in.

Thanks, yardage book will be a good idea

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Both are great courses and Edzell has loads of bunkers so watch out. I am sure you will not be disappointed with any of them

Thanks, I did notice Edzell seemed to have a lot of bunkers, I've played many courses around Scotland and learnt the ones with a lot of hard bunkers is to play not to go in them.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forfar is a smashing course - wends its way through pine forest & heathland. Always worth playing if you're in the area. And keep your eye out for red squirrels - its the last place l saw one ...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played both last September on our Jolly.

It was OK, but TBH i was a little disappointed with Edzell. quite a a few blind shots. Greens were not great and all the pins looked like they had been in the same place for weeks, judging by the amount of wear around the hole. Hotel was good and we were well looked after and the clubhouse to was nice.

Forfar i thought was a great layout, heathland course and by far my fav of the courses we played that week. first is a bit quirky but after that pretty straightforward. there was plenty of run and the greens were good even after the wet few weeks before last years visit. Of the courses we played this is the only one i would go back and play

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

It was OK, but TBH i was a little disappointed with Edzell. quite a a few blind shots. Greens were not great and all the pins looked like they had been in the same place for weeks, judging by the amount of wear around the hole. Hotel was good and we were well looked after and the clubhouse to was nice.

Forfar i thought was a great layout, heathland course and by far my fav of the courses we played that week. first is a bit quirky but after that pretty straightforward. there was plenty of run and the greens were good even after the wet few weeks before last years visit. Of the courses we played this is the only one i would go back and play

Sounds like you struggled round Edzell, it's a good course but tricky if your not hitting it well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sounds like you struggled round Edzell, it's a good course but tricky if your not hitting it well.

no played quite well, just didn't float my boat. didn't think much of the last few holes either TBH a few quite samey... but then i'm not that much a fan of parkland

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Edzell I would have to agree with you. Played it about 15 years ago and it was absolutely tremendous, course was in fantastic conditions, greens were brilliant. Returned two years ago and was disappointed in it, untidy in places and the greens were nowhere near as good as they were. It is a fun course with some very good golf holes.

Not played at Forfar.

Visit site
I've played Edzell many times, usually September, when the greens may have been hollow tined.
Always a fabulous day out, with lots of varied holes. I did notice last September that the greens were unusually slow, but there may have been a good reason for that.
I played Forfar for the first time last year, and really enjoyed it. Our little group all agreed that we should visit it again. We were made very welcome, good food, good Pro Shop, great course. There are some lovely courses inland from the more well known links courses in Angus. Alyth, Brechin and Kirriemuir spring to mind.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've played Edzell many times, usually September, when the greens may have been hollow tined.
Always a fabulous day out, with lots of varied holes. I did notice last September that the greens were unusually slow, but there may have been a good reason for that.
I played Forfar for the first time last year, and really enjoyed it. Our little group all agreed that we should visit it again. We were made very welcome, good food, good Pro Shop, great course. There are some lovely courses inland from the more well known links courses in Angus. Alyth, Brechin and Kirriemuir spring to mind.

Good to hear that thanks, looking forward to playing both courses.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Played a lot of courses this year, Edzell the best so far (and I have to say never played it in poor condition so not sure what went on above here?), absolutely stunning, although greens possibly just pipped by Kirriemuir.

Both Edzell and Forfar are superb tracks, Edzell the slightly harder of the two, Forfar the one with the more undulating links like fairways.