eBay

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have no problem if that's actually who they use! But I DO have a problem if the use someone else - without it being at my suggestion, as I have a very good relationship with my Hermes courier!

I've never once mentioned who the courier was so I'm surprised how many people are jumping on the Hermes bandwagon?

Is there history here or a proven record of failure??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've never once mentioned who the courier was so I'm surprised how many people are jumping on the Hermes bandwagon?

Is there history here or a proven record of failure??
Certainly not in my case in the last year! But there was certainly times in the past where the local hub was 'low performing'! All changed now - even during school hols, which happened to coincide with the poor-performing periods!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are ebay still actually using Hermes? I listed an item last night and the delivery option says 'Packlink' instead? Having Googled Packlink it seems to be an umbrella that uses a variety of delivery companies including DPD, FedEx and UPS: https://www.packlink.com/en-GB So it seems ebay has ditched Hermes??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are ebay still actually using Hermes? I listed an item last night and the delivery option says 'Packlink' instead? Having Googled Packlink it seems to be an umbrella that uses a variety of delivery companies including DPD, FedEx and UPS: https://www.packlink.com/en-GB So it seems ebay has ditched Hermes??

Packlink goes via myhermes according to some of the parcels I have received.

I just go to myhermes direct as it easy for me to drop the parcel off on my way to the club and to ensure it has gone with the correct method according to size and weight.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't remember if it was Hermes someone else but I had a package delivered once by him putting it inside the green wheely bin and leaving a note saying he'd done so. Lucky we weren't away and it wasn't bin day! :LOL:

I had this happen with Parcel Farce. I'd been working away from home and when I got back I found said card on my doorstep. Bin luckily was still outside and not been put out by my neighbors which we did for each other when we knew each other was away. I complained and they sent a manager out to me to get a written statement of complaint. Apparently the driver in question had form for this sort of thing and was on a final warning.

Only ever had one issue with Hermes. They never delivered a parcel (I was the sender) despite claiming and showing proof of delivery (an illegible scribble). They swore blind it had been delivered for about a fortnight until I put them out of their misery and told them that the item couldn't have been delivered because it had actually been returned to me about 4 days after it was posted. Other than that, my experience with Hermes has been extremely positive.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am not a big eBay user, but have just put a few things up for sale. Why is it that everytime I have used it to sell something (maybe a dozen times over 10 years!), and set it as an auction, I get a message from someone asking for a "buy it now" price. Surely if I wanted that, I'd have put an option on the item. I always decline, but they never bid. What are they up to?

Also item was listed, with the postage method and cost clearly explained. Winning bidder then complained about the postage cost. I only charged exactly what it cost me.

some sellers list as an auction with a low start price just to get interest or to avoid additional BIN fees, some buyers can’t be arsed to faff around, with both points sometimes a “ do you have a buy it now in mind “ Is best for both parties.

90% of my eBay deals have been done in this manor for quick easy deals so I personally do not see a problem unless your ad stated “” I don’t not have a buy it now, this is an auction “” bla bla bla

You do have a valid point on postage costs tho.

Springveldt

Visit site
Can't remember if it was Hermes someone else but I had a package delivered once by him putting it inside the green wheely bin and leaving a note saying he'd done so. Lucky we weren't away and it wasn't bin day! :LOL:
Amazon Logistics did the same to me when I bought 4 Echo's on Prime Day. £220 worth of electrics dumped in the wheelie bin.

The guy that does the Next deliveries (the missus is always ordering from them) carries around one of those little triangle meter keys and leaves the clothes in the gas meter if no one is in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Amazon Logistics did the same to me when I bought 4 Echo's on Prime Day. £220 worth of electrics dumped in the wheelie bin.

The guy that does the Next deliveries (the missus is always ordering from them) carries around one of those little triangle meter keys and leaves the clothes in the gas meter if no one is in.
My missus would not stand for that at all - our gas meter is full of spiders usually. She'd leave the clothes in there! Or get me to fetch them and do a full spider inspection before handing them over, most likely.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Update:

Item (not golf related) was listed, and I really clearly explained that it would be sent by Royal Mail 2nd class signed for, what the cost would be and that though i knew this wasn't the cheapest option, it was one I had found to be reliable.

During auction one person emails asking if I could use a cheaper courier. I explained why not, and they replied saying they understood.

A different person "won" the auction, then told me that the postage cost could be halved if I'd let them choose and arrange a courier. How they know I;m not sure, they haven't weighed the box, or measured its size. I said no, for the reason given above an described in the listing. 2 days now since the auction closed and I've heard nothing - no payment or anything. winning bid was about £40, postage was an additional £14, and the cheaper options would save no more than £5.

Rather frustrating.

I think the bidder is now ghosting me, and I'll have to go through the rigmarole again. Will I have to pay eBay fees twice?

Even if they do pay, I suspect I will send the stuff, and they'll then claim some issue with it, or leave me negative feedback. Not impressed.

U

User62651

Update:

Item (not golf related) was listed, and I really clearly explained that it would be sent by Royal Mail 2nd class signed for, what the cost would be and that though i knew this wasn't the cheapest option, it was one I had found to be reliable.

During auction one person emails asking if I could use a cheaper courier. I explained why not, and they replied saying they understood.

A different person "won" the auction, then told me that the postage cost could be halved if I'd let them choose and arrange a courier. How they know I;m not sure, they haven't weighed the box, or measured its size. I said no, for the reason given above an described in the listing. 2 days now since the auction closed and I've heard nothing - no payment or anything. winning bid was about £40, postage was an additional £14, and the cheaper options would save no more than £5.

Rather frustrating.

I think the bidder is now ghosting me, and I'll have to go through the rigmarole again. Will I have to pay eBay fees twice?

Even if they do pay, I suspect I will send the stuff, and they'll then claim some issue with it, or leave me negative feedback. Not impressed.

You wont pay fees twice if the auction is cancelled either mutually with buyer or when the time runs out to pay. I would be patient, if buyer remains unresponsive then try second chance offer if you had other bidders, all sellers get faff like this on Ebay sometimes, I just accept it's part of the system so don't get bothered by it when it happens. Quite often if you do relist you get more bids and you get more ££ second time, bit of karma.

I had a similar one recently, had GSP down for international postage of a book but buyer after winning wrangled for ages about regular postage being half the cost of GSP, I did in the end mutually cancel and relist book with Royal Mail postage, buyer in Spain appreciated it. I would always try and help a buyer where I can, you are taking their money after all and good seller feedback is key on ebay.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Early this year when I wanted a G25 4 wood, there was one up for £100 which was a little steep to me. I sent him an offer of £70, bit of a low-ball thinking he'd negotiate me up a bit or worst he could do is just decline, but to my surprise he accepted it outright! So it does work sometimes, can be worth testing the water.
Ironically I had this same 4 wood up for sale this week and it sold last night for 100 quid! I only started it at 65. Tidy 30 quid profit there. :LOL:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Update:

You just start the unpaid item process. The buyer gets a set time to pay and if they do not you get the fees back.

I had one last week refused to pay me just because I ended the auction early in his favour (how weird is that?).