Ebay

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Bidding on some drivers.

Never normally use eBay.

Is there any way of finding out what the reserve is? Says not met on a couple of them but don't want to just keep increasing my bid until I see what the reserve is because I'd be committed to pay that highest bid then

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bidding on some drivers.

Never normally use eBay.

Is there any way of finding out what the reserve is? Says not met on a couple of them but don't want to just keep increasing my bid until I see what the reserve is because I'd be committed to pay that highest bid then
Just increase bid by £5 until it accepts the bid.
But you must have a limit you won’t go over, what you are prepared to pay.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I never bid on items with a reserve. Like Lord T, a couple of times, I've asked the seller what the reserve was and once I persuaded a seller to set the starting bid at the reserve price, which is much more sensible. It would make more sense if, as in a real auction, you didn't know the reserve until the auction ended.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Found the same item without a reserve, and very little interest so far. Ends in 3 days though so expecting a few bids between now and then

D

Deleted member 21258

I normally just ask the seller or just bid upto what I am willing to pay and if I don't win it then I don't mind.

Hope the new auction goes you why Oldham92, best of luck.

It can be a ploy by the seller too, put a big reserve on, it doesn't sell so they offer it to the highest bidder at their last bid price.

Never thought of that, that a cheeky way of doing things, especially with the esnipe setups that people use.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It can be a ploy by the seller too, put a big reserve on, it doesn't sell so they offer it to the highest bidder at their last bid price.
H'mm. I thought Ebay had knobbled that practice by 'anonymising' the bidder's handle. Have to say that I've bought using similar tactic - contacting the seller when the starting price (on a motor cycle) wasn't met.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bidding on some drivers.

Never normally use eBay.

The starting point is that ebay has a minimum reserve of £50. I often bid at £49.99 and then watch what happens.

The only other way is to ask the seller what the reserve is and some will tell you. I can never understand those that will not, it just means that a lot of people will be unlikely to bid on a point of issue.

My way of listing is to have a start price at my minimum acceptable price rather than a reserve.

D

Deleted member 21258

H'mm. I thought Ebay had knobbled that practice by 'anonymising' the bidder's handle. Have to say that I've bought using similar tactic - contacting the seller when the starting price (on a motor cycle) wasn't met.

I thought the anonymous is done for other people apart from the seller that can see the bidders name ?(I could be wrong tho as have not sold anything on ebay for quite a while.:oops:)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought the anonymous is done for other people apart from the seller that can see the bidders name ?(I could be wrong tho as have not sold anything on ebay for quite a while.:oops:)
Likewise, I've been a 'buyer only' for quite a while - but I'd have thought that it was more likely that Ebay would be 'done out of fees' (my memory of why that was brought in) through dodgy Seller activity.

However, having done some more digging, it seems your thought is the correct one!

Maybe there was more 'buyer collusion' than I thought likely. Or that it was a 'sop' to Sellers, who lost considerable 'power' when that was implemented - inability to leave (retaliatory) Negative (and neutral?) Feedback being the main one (again, from pretty ancient memory)!

Apologies for the dodgy wrong 'correction'!

Where Seller has declared auction as 'Private', different rules apply.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Bid on 2 and found out one is an XStiff when I want regular. Definitely need to hope I'm outbid 😂😂😂😂

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I have done. Can't see why he would do that though

If they feel that they will not get paid because you do not want item. It saves end of auction hassle.

Just had to go through the hassle because someone asked me after the auction had finished (wrong shaft flex).

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
If they feel that they will not get paid because you do not want item. It saves end of auction hassle.

Just had to go through the hassle because someone asked me after the auction had finished (wrong shaft flex).

I always thought it was a contract to buy if you won the auction. Is that not right?

Robin Hood

Visit site
I bought an electric lawnmower on EBay for £5 - brand new and boxed, best purchase ever.
I wondered why I had no feedback from the seller, and discovered he had declared that I hadn't turned up and was cancelling the sale - presumably to avoid paying the commission.
No skin of my nose, but a bit naughty of him.