Ebay

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Very odd to add 12 times. They must really have wanted it but couldn't make up their mind as to what their top bid must be. I left it alone, as you say their max bid must be quite high.

Could have been literally a penny more each time and using it as a tactic to put people off lol

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just checked and the auction has finished. You were all right, one person had put multiple bids in, increasing by £2 each time. The funny thing? They didn't win 😂😂😂😂

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I never bid on items with a reserve. Like Lord T, a couple of times, I've asked the seller what the reserve was and once I persuaded a seller to set the starting bid at the reserve price, which is much more sensible. It would make more sense if, as in a real auction, you didn't know the reserve until the auction ended.

Setting a start price as the reserve price also reduces listing fees

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dont use Hermes. In the last few weeks, I have used them to send 2 sets of golf clubs. First set - only the box arrived! Someone had opened the box and helped themselves. Second box - the 6 iron had gone. I had the insurance on the 2nd set, but they only offered £10 compensation.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Likewise, Hermes can sook my plumbs.

Much rather pay extra for peace of mind and no sticky fingers that Hermes appears to have serious issues with. They have lost/stolen 3 of my parcels and two of the three times they claim to have packaging but no product.

Parcelforce, TNT, or DPD are fast and reliable. Pay for what you get.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use Myhermes for all my eBay stuff as well, the local garage that is 200 yards from my door is a collection point. Usually only costs £4 odds with signature since if it's just a single club it's under the 1KG.

For drivers, I just use the wrench tool to take the head off, stick the screw back into the hole then bubble wrap it. Then I bubble wrap the shaft and cut down the cardboard box to be under 120CM (if required). Works a charm, sold 3 drivers like that.

You obviously check that the buyer has a wrench to put the head back on then or sell it with a wrench.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do this? Just put your max bid and e bay does the rest, or am I missing something?:confused:
I think Oldham92 covered it a few posts ago. By showing 12 bids it made me think that their max bid must be really high and so put me off. In reality it wasn't too daft and they were outbid in the end by someone else, still paying more than I would have so I don't feel bad. It is a pyschological trick. Daft and I couldn't be bothered with it but someone obviously could.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Oldham92 covered it a few posts ago. By showing 12 bids it made me think that their max bid must be really high and so put me off. In reality it wasn't too daft and they were outbid in the end by someone else, still paying more than I would have so I don't feel bad. It is a pyschological trick. Daft and I couldn't be bothered with it but someone obviously could.
If I like something I just put a bid in for what I think is the max I will pay.
If I win great if not no prob.
People try tricks on eBay but like any auction you must set your limit and not get drawn into a bidding war.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If I like something I just put a bid in for what I think is the max I will pay.
If I win great if not no prob.
People try tricks on eBay but like any auction you must set your limit and not get drawn into a bidding war.
Me too, because you sometimes beat the snipers who bid at the last minute, find that their bid isn't enough to win & don't have time to make another bid. That's worked for me a lot.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Me too, because you sometimes beat the snipers who bid at the last minute, find that their bid isn't enough to win & don't have time to make another bid. That's worked for me a lot.
Does Ebay allow sniping? I thought there are at least a couple of minutes after a bid, even if it was in the last second.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
No, once the time is up, it's up. It's entertaining watching the last few seconds of an auction & seeing someone's desperate efforts to top your high bid.
Then I must have bought elsewhere at some point.

These days, if I bid in an auction, I don’t watch the end anyway. Max bid is in, and it removes the bidding war from my side. Granted, I don’t win many auctions, but I also don’t overspend.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, once the time is up, it's up. It's entertaining watching the last few seconds of an auction & seeing someone's desperate efforts to top your high bid.

My fav was a bidding war on the last 30 seconds of a pair of shoes I was selling

The bid stood at £20 with a buy now of £25

The bidding war ended with someone paying £28?!

Some people really are stupid

But hey almost covered my fees