East Sussex National - golf break

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all, first post coming up...

Looking to book up for our society's golf break for 2012. We're a small society from the Midlands - between 16 and 20 of go away each Summer for four or five days, in this country. Mixed ages (30- 70) and mixed handicaps (4- 24).

Last two years we've done Hampshire (Old Thorns, Blackmoor, Tylney park and Hayling Island) and Suffolk (Ufford, Woodbridge, Thorpeness and Felixstowe Ferries) both trips were superb so if anyone needs any help or feedback on those do let me know.

For next year I've identified Sussex as a possible destination. Like to stick to the South due to the fact we go at the end of June so better chance of better weather. Last two years have been perfect in that respect so will be heading South next year.

If I can get a good enough deal with East Sussex (struggling at the moment) that will be the base with a round probably on the West course. After that we have 3 other rounds/courses to sort out. Currently have these high on the wish-list:

Cooden Beach (for our coastal fix)
Crowborough Beacon
Ashdown Forest
Nevill GC
Willingdon
East Brighton

Nice to have a couple fairly close to base but don't mind travelling up to 40 minutes for a real gem.

Any thoughts on the above list and which would be the best three to approach first? Or are there any others worth considering?

Like to aim for green fees of no more than £40- £50 (hence no Rye) but will pay more if it'll definitely be worth it.

Finally, and apologies for rambling, but been based at the East Sussex and never having been down that neck of the woods, where close by might offer a smidgeon of nightlife? Not asking for clubs and dozens of pubs just somewhere there will be a bit of atmosphere. Lewes or Uckfield perhaps?

Thanks for any feedback from locals to the area or to those who may have frequented the area for golf.

Now back to trying to secure a good deal with ES hotel!

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello and welcome.

Can't speak of your other choices but I love playing Cooden Beach.

Im sure others with better knowledge will be along soon.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
A big yes from me for Cooden Beach and Crowborough.

We had a forum day at Cooden this summer. I really enjoyed the course (despite Smiffy cleaning up with 41 points!!) , not reallya links more of a parkland/links hybrid , but proper seaside golf, subject tothe wind etc.

Crowborough I played twice this summer. It was in great condition. It is a bittight in places and it can be frustrating looking for balls in the heather butit is a proper old fashioned golf course. You get a real sense of isolationplaying there. It's well worth a visit.

East Brighton is a decent enough course. Really exposed on the downs, I'veplayed it 3 times. Once in the summer, twice in the winter and the wind was abig factor each time. The greens were in great nick each time I played it &I'd definitely go back.

You could maybe add Piltdown to your list. I've not played it but I've heardgood things.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Afternoon all, first post coming up...

Finally, and apologies for rambling, but been based at the East Sussex and never having been down that neck of the woods, where close by might offer a smidgeon of nightlife? Not asking for clubs and dozens of pubs just somewhere there will be a bit of atmosphere. Lewes or Uckfield perhaps?

Thanks for any feedback from locals to the area or to those who may have frequented the area for golf.

Now back to trying to secure a good deal with ES hotel!

It's pretty quite down there. You could get amongst it and stay in Brighton !!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Can recommend Cooden Beach despite Smiffy cleaning up there, and East Brighton assuming it is not too windy! I see you played my course, Blackmoor on your Hampshire trip. We had a forum Meet there in June. Hope you enjoyed the course and hospitality.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Laughing Gravy

I live in East Sussex so know the area very well.

I too can recommend Cooden and Crowborough, but have a look at Piltdown GC (very olde worlde) - a nice course never usually very busy and well worth a visit.

If you are considering East Brighton, also have a look at the Dyke GC which is a very nice challenge with good views. Also, dont discount Worthing GC although that is in the opposite direction to all the others!

If you are looking for a bit of nightlife, don't bother with Lewes, can't really comment on Uckfield, guessing Brighton may be a bit too much? - Maybe consider Tunbridge Wells? Depends on what consitutes a night out for your society?

PM me if you need more details

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Crowborough will be great but could be slow. I left this year after 12 years as a member 'cos of pace of play. It is a greaat course, but it is just too slow for an enjoyable experience for me.

Royal Ashdown would be a great day out (where I am a member now) - also if you wanted to, you could play both courses in a day making a great 36 hole challange. The Old and The West are both worth a look as they are adjacent but so different.

I fully endorse the idea of Cooden, a great sea side course, the club will make you a most welcome visitor.

I would also suggest you try to play BOTH courses at E Sussex National. The West and the East, both are great courses and worth a look. Don't only play the West.

Have fun, I am sure wherever you play you will enjoy our county.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm an East Sussex boy too....well, born and bred in Tunbridge Wells but lived in Uckfield for 17 years and was a member at Crowborough Beacon for over 12.

East Sussex National is well worth playing. Two nice courses, (I personally prefer the East), but you won't go wrong whichever you play.

Cooden Beach is just down the road from me and I love it. I'd join there tomorrow if I could justify being a member at an expensive course, but because I tend to play a lot of different courses it's not worth me shelling out £900.00 a year to be a member anywhere. It's generally in good condition, June should see you catch it at it's best.

Crowborough Beacon is a lovely course, but tough. If you are having an "off" day, then take plenty of balls. Lots of wicked bounces, and plenty of heather and gorse to gobble up wayward balls. Quite a few holes with pretty long carries off the tee as well, so it's not a course suitable to high handicappers.

The Nevill in Tunbridge Wells in another nice course. Have played it loads of times. Parkland with a smattering of heather and gorse bushes, some tough holes. Not overly long, but some tricky driving holes, and it's all about placement around there. Again, usually in very good condition and a warm welcome awaits.

Another reasonable course in the area is Lamberhurst. A few holes where water comes into play and some tricky doglegs. Fairly gentle start and finish but it's the middle bit that does you in!

Have never enjoyed my visits to Piltdown. It's a nice course, similar in ways to Crowborough but without the long carries and wicked bounces. But I've always found it a bit snobby, the members I've come across tend to be quite stuck up. Has a lot of ex Crowborough members there who join when Crowborough gets too much for them as it's easier walking. But not one of my favourites.

As for nightlife, Crowborough and Lewes are pretty dire. Not a lot going on in either Town. If it were me, I would base myself nearer to Tunbridge Wells and venture into there in the evenings if you're looking for fillies. Davinci's in the high street is normally good for a session, and generally gets packed at the week-ends..
From Tunbridge Wells you would have about a 45 minute trip to East Sussex National, 1 hour to Cooden and about 15 minutes to either the Nevill or Lamberhurst. A trip to Forest Row to play Royal Ashdown would take you about 40 minutes. Crowborough is about 30 minutes or so from Tunbridge Wells with Piltdown being another 10 minutes further down the road.
If you want any more advice, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks to you all for the feedback. All appreciated and much to digest there. Cooden and Crowborough look certainties.

Smiffy - take your point about staying in TW but we do normally like staying somewhere that has a course on site and with East Sussex having decent courses that kind of swung it. That said if I can't sort a decent deal it could be curtains for that idea anyway. Where in TW would be decent to stay?

I should define our idea of nightlife I guess too. Just after somewhere where there's a choice of pubs and a bit of atmospshere but that's about it. No requirements for a clubbing scene or such like! If we do end up at East Sussex I suspect a few pf the party would be happy enough staying ehri each night but it would just be nice to have the option of a visit elsewhere.

Richart - Yes Blackmoor was splendid. Best course of the trip and best welcome of the lot. A hidden gem that may not remain that way for too long. We vowed to return at some point.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Out of interest...how much?

Sorry, missed replying to this one.

Got a good deal i think - £49 per person per night B&B. Based on 8 twin rooms, these are the Club rooms, so have balconies overlooking the courses. And the golf is £40 pp on the West course.

Original quote was around the £65 pp figure. Got lucky with the negotiating.

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
I'm a West Sussex native so can recommend a couple of courses the other way.....

Chartham Park....Used to work there so know it inside out. Great course in good condition (or was when I played it last summer), not too challenging but some tricky holes will keep you on your toes and lots of water to tempt you!

Ashdown Forest aka Royal Ashdown (Old Course) - Cracking course although haven't played it for a while now. Apparently the layout has changed a bit but I'm told it's for the good of the course. Definitely one of the best courses in the area and one I would make sure you include in your time down south. Someone might be able to say different though as I haven't played it for a few years.

Manning's Heath - Never played it myself but my uncle takes his society there every year and rates it very highly. He told me it was going down the pan a few years back but when I last spoke to him at Christmas he reckoned it was back to being a must play course nowadays. I'm dying to get down there myself, hopefully this summer if I get an invite to the society day.

All 3 of these courses can be reached from East Sussex national within 20-30 minutes.

spjd17

Visit site
I am from seaford in Sussex

Definately go for the west as ESN

seaford head is worth a go just for the views

Singing hills

Chartham park

Chart hills

Dale hill

are both in Kent but easy to get to from ESN

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Sounds like a very good price to me.

I also live in East Sussex and am a member at Crowborough, and don't think it has any more of a slow play problem than any other typical members' club on a weekend morning.

Royal Ashdown is very nice too, but if you're after a different feel among the three or four courses you end up playing, it won't really give you anything different to Crowborough.

You're very close to the South Downs there where there are a dozen or so courses perched on top in easy reach of ESN, the pick of which for me would be The Dyke or Seaford. I also like Lewes and Pyecombe which probably have the best views of all, but I know others aren't as keen on them.

Not a big fan of Cooden (and I am a big fan of seaside golf usually), nor Willingdon which is all a bit hemmed in for me. If you're up to travelling a little further for your seaside fix, I'd go for Littlehampton probably 50 mins away, which has much more of an authentic links feel to Cooden.

Horses for courses, of course...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you are staying at ESN, I don't see the point of playing anywhere but the other course! You may be able to negotiate an even better deal for both. If you eat at the resort, make sure you specify plenty of veg though! Was there for a 2 dayera few years ago and the 'vegetables' comprised half a dozen beansprouts! :angry:

Crowborough is really good but can be tough for a mixed society. Chartham Park in/near East Grinstead is a really good society course as is the West course of Royal Ashdown.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I don't know how many rounds you want to play or how long you're staying... if I could have any 4 rounds in the South East before I die it would be....

East Sussex West Course
East Sussex East Course
East Sussex West Course
East Sussex East Course

They are both exceptional and it's hard to fault them

If I had to mix it up a bit I'd have...

East Sussex West Course
East Sussex East Course
Worthing (Lower Course)
DaleHill (Woosnam course) You HAVE TO have a buggy but it's worth it.

I think most of the other courses mentioned, whilst OK, are mostly disappointing.

PS. I don't think East Sussex National will do deals (for the golf), as far as I'm aware you either pay the price or you don't play. Also the EAST course is where the pro tournaments are played so you can't miss that one! The West is lovely too of course, both tough if you choose the wrong tees! :D

Last edited: