East Sussex National - golf break

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the additional replies all, I should have mentioned or thought I had earlier, all the other golf is now also booked. Sorted it in January. We're playing:

Tuesday: The Nevill (part of the party as it's warm up day)
Wednesday: Crowborough Beacon
Thursday: Cooden Beach
Friday: Chartham park
Saturday: East Sussex West

Went for this mix as they all had decent reviews and were well thought of on here and will give all the party an enjoyable trip thaty doesn't break the bank. All green fees being £40 with Cooden at £30 and Chartham £25.

May try and sneak a round on the East at the Sussex too if all is going well.

Golf at East Sussex was £40 for us which I think knocks a bit off the green fee visitor rates.

Cheers all!

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Golf at East Sussex was £40 for us which I think knocks a bit off the green fee visitor rates.

That is very interesting, I know the manager quite well and was trying to organise a forum get-together down there... he said he can't do deals on the golf... perhaps it's because you are staying.... I'm going to have some stern words.........he's supposed to be a 'friend' :confused:

:D:D

Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, is only £50/round anyway for 2012. I don't know if it's gone down but I also remember it being £65 and now it's only £60 for Fri & Sat's.

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hate to say it, but Singing Hills is not in the same league as some of the other courses mentioned.
I would be really cheesed off to travel a long way for a golf break and end up playing there.
Chartham Park is ok if you get it in good condition, I've always enjoyed playing there. Good honest to goodness golf course, what you see is what you get.
You'll enjoy the Nevill. One of the nicest parkland courses in Kent. If I lived close I'd be a member there no problem. Not as "snobby" as it once was. You'll be made welcome.
You've got a good choice of venues in your selection, but I'm puzzled that you aren't playing the East Course at East Sussex. I'd rather play there than travel to Chartham Park, even though I do enjoy it.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Tuesday: The Nevill (part of the party as it's warm up day)
Wednesday: Crowborough Beacon
Thursday: Cooden Beach
Friday: Chartham park
Saturday: East Sussex West

You know, if you're a group then it's about the banter and the stories more than anything.. with a mixed group of ages, h/caps etc you'll probably have a right laugh around any of the courses. Personally I'd not miss out on playing the East Course as I'd like to be able to tell people I played a really decent course whilst on my travels.... but that's just me.

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That is very interesting, I know the manager quite well and was trying to organise a forum get-together down there... he said he can't do deals on the golf... perhaps it's because you are staying.... I'm going to have some stern words.........he's supposed to be a 'friend' :confused:

:D:D

Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, is only £50/round anyway for 2012. I don't know if it's gone down but I also remember it being £65 and now it's only £60 for Fri & Sat's.

It is because we're staying there or so I was told. 8 twin rooms for 4 nights so a decent amount spent with them already. Also I mentioned how it was one of the lad's 40th's and one of the lad's 50th so they accommodated us on price too I reckon.

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hate to say it, but Singing Hills is not in the same league as some of the other courses mentioned.
I would be really cheesed off to travel a long way for a golf break and end up playing there.
Chartham Park is ok if you get it in good condition, I've always enjoyed playing there. Good honest to goodness golf course, what you see is what you get.
You'll enjoy the Nevill. One of the nicest parkland courses in Kent. If I lived close I'd be a member there no problem. Not as "snobby" as it once was. You'll be made welcome.
You've got a good choice of venues in your selection, but I'm puzzled that you aren't playing the East Course at East Sussex. I'd rather play there than travel to Chartham Park, even though I do enjoy it.

Smiffy - the chosen courses were mainly due to your feedback so cheers. We may have an odd number and a space for the Tuesday at the Nevill if you fancy it?

Fair point about the East at east Sussex. I chose Chartham as I thought it a little gentler and also half a dozen of the party are Clubhaus members so they get their golf for free at Chartham. Sticking the East on the agenda would have been another £40 for everyone not £25 and not free for the 6 Clubhaus members. Take your point though and it's also the Friday golf when we'd hope to be done a bit earlier and out for the evening. Done now though will leave it at that and if anyone wants to sneak a round (or 9 holes) on the East course, they can.

shagster

Head Pro
Visit site
instead of willingdon, try eastbourne downs.
on a good day no where better with miles of views.
greens are coming back to where they should be, but there is lots of choice around east sussex national, but crowbrough would be in there.

regards
shagster

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
I don't know how many rounds you want to play or how long you're staying... if I could have any 4 rounds in the South East before I die it would be....

East Sussex West Course
East Sussex East Course
East Sussex West Course
East Sussex East Course

They are both exceptional and it's hard to fault them

If I had to mix it up a bit I'd have...

East Sussex West Course
East Sussex East Course
Worthing (Lower Course)
DaleHill (Woosnam course) You HAVE TO have a buggy but it's worth it.

I think most of the other courses mentioned, whilst OK, are mostly disappointing. :D

Pretty hard to agree with this - especially the last bit.

Wouldn't have either ESN course in my top 5 in Sussex, and wouldn't say many of the others mentioned are in any way disappointing...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Wouldn't have either ESN course in my top 5 in Sussex, and wouldn't say many of the others mentioned are in any way disappointing...

That's fair enough - horses for courses, and all that.

I'd be interested to know what your top 5 would be though Jezz?

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
That's fair enough - horses for courses, and all that.

I'd be interested to know what your top 5 would be though Jezz?

Had a quick check back on my 'courses played' list, James, and would say these would be my 5 top Sussex courses (in no particular order)...

Crowborough Beacon
Royal Ashdown (Old)
West Sussex
Mannings Heath (Waterfall)
Rye

As you say, horses for courses and all that.

Have played both ESN courses many times and they're very enjoyable in the summer. I much prefer the West as I think it has a better variety of holes, and both are certainly much more forgiving off the tee than my home track!