Duffing short chips

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Incredible. I watched 7 of Mr Utley’s videos before replying. Please don’t suggest anyone takes his advice particularly on bunker shots. It’s fundamentally flawed, as bobmac’s post shows.

I'm a big Stan fan, it's a very simple method relying on primarily body pivot to regulate the shot.
A lot of current thinking follows similar principles.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Having a bit of an issue with hitting the ground behind the ball and duffing short pitch/chip shots at the moment. More so with my higher lofted wedges (52+). Any tips for improving?
Unless completely impractical, a less lofted club used with a putting action could replace many of those shots - at least up to 45 or so yards.
Those delicate shots with high-lofted clubs DO need practice - mainly to get the rhythm correct and to stop (bad) body/shoulder movement (keeping the body stable).

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Incredible. I watched 7 of Mr Utley’s videos before replying. Please don’t suggest anyone takes his advice particularly on bunker shots. It’s fundamentally flawed, as bobmac’s post shows.

What?! I use his bunker technique & it works great. You're talking about the man who holds the record for the fewest putts for 9 holes on the PGA tour, 7 to be exact. His 9 holes included two holed bunker shots. Not bad for a "fundamentally flawed" method.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Unless completely impractical, a less lofted club used with a putting action could replace many of those shots - at least up to 45 or so yards.
Those delicate shots with high-lofted clubs DO need practice - mainly to get the rhythm correct and to stop (bad) body/shoulder movement (keeping the body stable).

The OP is talking about a pitch, not a chip. The way of playing these two shots is completely different.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Among those he has coached, and who vouch for him in his book are:

Peter Jacobsen
Jay Haas
Darren Clarke
Paul McGinley
Graeme Mc.Dowell
Steward Cink

What are your qualifications?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Not a criticism MIB.

But if someone's desperately reaching out for help, would be great to discern expert advice from well meaning.

Probably. In reality, unless someone has posted a video of their swing it's only possible to give a general idea of what kind of fault might be causing the miss. I'm quite good at diagnosing faults, crap at putting them right!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Danny Maude approach works for me. There's actually a lot of pros that recommend the same approach; Monte Scheinblum being another, he says use the bounce, others say try and feel like the back of the wedge hits the ground, etc. Same as the Stan Utley approach if I've understood right.

It's a simple but effective technique I think.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not an expert but my unqualified advice would be to spend some time working out where the bottom of your swing is. Don’t put a ball down and pitch to different yardages mentally, just concentrate on where the club meets the ground. If you’re duffing you’re hitting the ground too early and the ball isn’t at the bottom of the arc. It can be a little past it, meaning you hit ball then ground - or both together - but not ground first. When you get used to making good contact you’ll stop thinking about contact and start thinking about where you’re landing it - at which point you’ll be a good pitcher ?? On the course a couple of practice swings feeling the club bottoming out does wonders for confidence, especially if you’re on an uneven lie.

Also, video yourself and make sure you’re not taking a very long backswing, which may be causing you to decelerate as you reach impact. Watch Bobs video for length. Finally a phrase the has always stuck with me is someone commented about Shane Lowrys pitching that he has lovely soft hands. Whenever I remember that my grip gets lighter and the results are invariably better as it flows more than if my forearms have become tight

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As you will see, there are lots of ways to chip and pitch a ball. Amazing really.
The best tip I had was to feel as if the clubhead weighs about 20kg. If it weighed that much you couldn’t move it away by using your hands so you move it using your body. This prevents the club going behind you which I am led to believe is the death move on chips and pitches.
On the through swing feel like you are hitting it with your right hip making sure your hands pass the ball before the clubhead. This will ensure you are turning. I would guess a lack of turn is the reason you maybe hitting them fat.