Duffing short chips

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having a bit of an issue with hitting the ground behind the ball and duffing short pitch/chip shots at the moment. More so with my higher lofted wedges (52+). Any tips for improving?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was given a short lesson by a pro at a pro-am that has stuck with me and served me well for this type of shot.

Keep your arms in a V, don't break your wrists. Really concentrate on that V shape
Don't try to lift the ball, let the loft do the work

It is quite simplistic but very effective.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I misunderstood. I'll leave that to some proper people. I know what I do but there are people on here who can advise you better, more technical knowledge than my made up version :D

D

Deleted member 1147

You need to ensure you Keep your weight on the left hand side and don’t sway, just rotate the upper body.
I keep the ball middle of my stance and have the shaft straight upright, not much shaft lean at address, as you don’t want to come into the ball digging the club into the ground.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Having a bit of an issue with hitting the ground behind the ball and duffing short pitch/chip shots at the moment. More so with my higher lofted wedges (52+). Any tips for improving?

Try this drill.
Try and hit the ball under the shaft.
If you get it right, the ball will go over the shaft.
And don't deccelerate into the ball

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I see beginners I see them wristy the club back quickly then slowly try to scoop the ball up. Chipping is exactly the opposite of what you think it should be!

I’m going out with a total beginner in a few weeks for a social round at the par 3, I think I am going to send him Bobs vid in advance if he asks for any advice.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Im actually ok with that kind of shot, its more the 30-60 yard type where you need to have a bit of a swing at it

That's a pitch, not a chip. I can recommend Stan Utley's "Art of the Short Game" His method is basically, ball more forward in the stance than traditionally accepted, pivot back & through with the grip of the club not travelling that far. Break the wrists a bit on the backswing & let the clubhead pass the hands coming down to allow the bounce of the club to help the clubhead slide under the ball. Very effective when done properly.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That's a pitch, not a chip. I can recommend Stan Utley's "Art of the Short Game" His method is basically, ball more forward in the stance than traditionally accepted, pivot back & through with the grip of the club not travelling that far. Break the wrists a bit on the backswing & let the clubhead pass the hands coming down to allow the bounce of the club to help the clubhead slide under the ball. Very effective when done properly.

Would you play that shot off a tight lie say on a links course?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thank you.
The advantage of this technique is that it can be used with any club off good and bad lies. You can also change the flight and spin applied to the ball by changing the ball position

incatrekker

Visit site
Incredible. I watched 7 of Mr Utley’s videos before replying. Please don’t suggest anyone takes his advice particularly on bunker shots. It’s fundamentally flawed, as bobmac’s post shows.