Duck hooking long clubs

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sadly my great season has hit a snide the last month.I have acquired a viscious occasional duck hook.At times the driver will duck hook so violently that it is almost a top- duck hook.Where the ball falls left immediately.Ive had my swing analyzed and was told it comes down to a poor pivot and massive inside out with a closed face.Ive tried loosening my grip and that doesn't help either.Unfortunately my body isn't as athletic as others and the word pivot is difficult for me to achieve.Im more hands and arms dominated.Had a nice controlled draw for almost the whole season.Now it went very bad- poorly.

Ive also run into issues with fats and thins with irons at times as well.And was told this all relates to my duck hook issues.

Any suggestions.? Very frustrated how a game can go sour so fast. The hook- draw is such a great shot to be able to control.A duck hook isn't fun

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A duck hook normally happens when the body stops turning and the arms, hands and clubhead overtake the body.
This often happens when there's trouble on the left if you are right handed.

To stop this happening, you have to keep turning your body through impact so the clubhead cant flip passed you.
HTH

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
A duck hook normally happens when the body stops turning and the arms, hands and clubhead overtake the body.

To stop this happening, you have to keep turning your body through impact so the clubhead cant flip passed you.
HTH
Agree .. but my body is in not the best physical of shape.a proper pivot by modern terminology is a real chore for me

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once a round I will often do this. Usually when I am a tad too far from the ball so I swing too wide and wild, coming round myself. Bob's explanation makes total sense for me. It is an arm problem. Think Monty, swing with your belly, not your arms. Get the Monty tempo :D

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

HTH

Another good explanation
Cheers bob

D

Deleted member 16999

Have a look at Garyinderry's thread, "lightbulb moment"

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Just to add.....I sometimes suffer the same problem and it seems to be caused by (as bob explained) the arms taking over. This results in the follow through being lower, my hands ending up level with my left shoulder. I find the cure is to have a simple swing thought to end up with my hands high and complete the swing. I forget about the rest of the swing and just concentrate on ending up in that position....works for me!

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Played great today. Only two snap hooks.I really felt like I stayed low thru the hit.Where a snap i feel like i come up and out of it

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with Bob

I'm working on trying to draw the ball and had a lesson this morning, my pro wants me to turn more on the through swing and has said that I can turn as quick as I like I still won't hook the ball. Certainly in my lesson today I didn't duck hook any and the odd worst hits were a straight push. I have moved the ball back quite away with the driver and have added more loft to my M2

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just got this back from pro who is out of town and looked at my swing video .

Strengthen everything about your grip and your feel through impact is rotate upper body. Have your right shoulder beat your hands and club head to the ball. Don't worry about shallowing shaft for a while with the way you have been practicing. We need path more left, face more closed and more shaft lean at impact.

pretty close to the premise I'm reading from
everyone here.And my body is in bad physical shape. so he always recommends upper body pivoting

French Bill

Visit site

HTH
This makes complete sense. I am a very old left hander with a stiff body who plays right handed and I tend to duck hook twice in a round off the tee and in both holes there is trouble on the left. I feel that it is also a mind thing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This makes complete sense. I am a very old left hander with a stiff body who plays right handed and I tend to duck hook twice in a round off the tee and in both holes there is trouble on the left. I feel that it is also a mind thing.
Make sure you check the post dates buddies - you've just bumped an 8 year old thread.