Who hits the practice ground before playing - and for how long?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I started this thread because I did a session on the practice ground yesterday and took on board the fact that it takes a while to get going. Which means I've put into my mind that playing without warming up is a bad idea.

And sure enough, I played today (without a warmup) and blobbed the first two holes. So that session yesterday has done more harm than good. This damn game plays evil tricks with your head!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hour and 3 quarters.
50 mins on the range, stretches, warm up, hit half wedges , full wedges, then 7i, 4i, Driver then back to wedges, go pick balls up. Not bothered about direction or accuracy, I'm just getting swinging, then pick balls up then head to do chipping for 20-25min, then remaining time is speed putting to fringes then hole out 3 footers in a circle going anti clockwise. Both these drills are with one ball only.

How confused would you be if you went clockwise? Or one direction then the other? :whistle:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its interesting that some people treat competitions differently to friendly games.

So warming up for 30mins for a friendly, but for an hour for comps (Homer being an example, based on what has been said here).

I would be certain that this would impact competition performance as you are putting more pressure on yourself, breaking the 'norm'? I used to do it in our club champs. get their extra early, build up my expectations and then - bang - i've started poorly....

I now mainly warm up in the nets, i get the feeling of the hitting the centre of the clubface rather than worrying where its going. Otherwise i'm worried about the bloke/hook etc i was hitting on the range.

Daveh922

Visit site
Very interesting as I had a similar experience to this two weeks ago - I can honestly say the majority of my bad rounds are due to whatever is going on in my head and right now its having a negative impact on my game due to this one reason. I'm sure it will fade over time right enough :whistle:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hour and 3 quarters.
50 mins on the range, stretches, warm up, hit half wedges , full wedges, then 7i, 4i, Driver then back to wedges, go pick balls up. Not bothered about direction or accuracy, I'm just getting swinging, then pick balls up then head to do chipping for 20-25min, then remaining time is speed putting to fringes then hole out 3 footers in a circle going anti clockwise. Both these drills are with one ball only.

I love this, makes me think of the other ongoing thread about people who can't even spare the time for a quick cuppa after their round :D

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Life is too short to rock up and hour or so before a round and hit balls on the range. 30/35 mins before. Hit a few in the net to get the arms moving. Then some short chips and pitches, then some putting for 10 mins or so. Then wander over to the tee and rock on.
No point spending an hour on the range if you find you aren't striking it well and it demoralises you

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love this, makes me think of the other ongoing thread about people who can't even spare the time for a quick cuppa after their round :D

And I have/make time for a cuppa after the round to as I'm not on a time limit unlike most.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Life is too short to rock up and hour or so before a round and hit balls on the range. 30/35 mins before. Hit a few in the net to get the arms moving. Then some short chips and pitches, then some putting for 10 mins or so. Then wander over to the tee and rock on.
No point spending an hour on the range if you find you aren't striking it well and it demoralises you

depends on your ability and mentality.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We have a copse of trees down the left hand side of our first hole, interspersed with heather and ferns.
I will spend a couple of minutes stumbling through those turning bits and pieces over with my pitching wedge searching for balls and getting my eyes acclimatised to the different textures.
I find this saves time during the round.

S

Snelly

We have a copse of trees down the left hand side of our first hole, interspersed with heather and ferns.
I will spend a couple of minutes stumbling through those turning bits and pieces over with my pitching wedge searching for balls and getting my eyes acclimatised to the different textures.

:D:D:D

Quality.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

:rofl:

Love it!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its interesting that some people treat competitions differently to friendly games.

So warming up for 30mins for a friendly, but for an hour for comps (Homer being an example, based on what has been said here).

I would be certain that this would impact competition performance as you are putting more pressure on yourself, breaking the 'norm'?
I used to do it in our club champs. get their extra early, build up my expectations and then - bang - i've started poorly....

I now mainly warm up in the nets, i get the feeling of the hitting the centre of the clubface rather than worrying where its going. Otherwise i'm worried about the bloke/hook etc i was hitting on the range.

Agreed 100%. Ideally I'll hit 20 balls on the range before every round of golf, regardless of whether it's a comp or not. The main focus for this is to warm up and ease out any aches and pains! First few shots I tend to find are ropey on a "this might hurt" basis and then I'm into the swing of things. Finish up with whatever club I'm hitting off the first tee. I will do some putting on away courses and sometimes on our course if time allows. Fact is though our putting green is quicker than the ones on the course so I can end up lagging the first few out there. Recently have been putting beforehand, only uphill putts and making sure I get a few feet past.

sportsbob

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Try and hit 50 or so balls in the range prior, starting with wedges and then building up to the driver so that I am ready for the first tee shot. A few putts though putting green tends to be a lot quicker than course greens and then onto the first tee where I inevitably lose my ball into the driving range running along side the first.