dubbin for shoes?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Question is, with dubbin, do you polish first then dubbin, just polish, dubbin first polish later once the dubbin has sunk in, or just polish. I only use dubbin once the shoes aren't waterproof anymore, as at that stage you can prolong the life of a pair, and get another season out of them.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
While we're talking about shoes and polish. I've never used dubbin before, what I have is black shoes for winter, which can be polished with normal shoe polish, I do this on a regular basis to build up a layer of polish. The problem comes with my summer shoes, I like to wear white shoes in the summer. What do people use to clean and maintain these? I have a nice pair of white Reelfits, but there starting to "yellow" after just one season, and I can't seem to get them clean. Is there any magical polish I can use without resorting to that horrible tipex type stuff that you paint on?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I also have this issue with white shoes, as mine are co-respondent wing tips, so if I use white polish I have the problems of keeping it away from the yellow or purple patent bits. I could use neutral but they never look clean.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guys, anyone with black leather shoes will not go wrong with Kiwi, Seriously I just coat all my black leather shores, walking boots, military boots golf shoes in the stuff.

Dubbing helps to soften the leather but polish will keep a good shoe in great conition.

Put it on the night before, let it soak in and take it off the next day. It will shine better (easier) too.

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
on the subject of shoes, I found recently that playing with old fashioned spikes is much better in winter, obviously better on hard frosty ground but even in the mushy stuff I get a much better grip/purchase on the ground.It's not only grip but also they don't pick a layer of claggy mud the same.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Also does anyone sell spikes as mine are about 25 years old and I would like a decent new pair?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Done the whole 'spike' thing recently. But for winter, those of us who have the 'Pro Stingers' think they're pretty good.

They're like traditional metal spikes, but with three extra plastic spikes around the metal one. I can confim that they don't clog up.

Available from all good outlets!!