dropping my left shoulder

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
help need guys.
my partner noticed today that I drop my left shoulder when playing a shot. he seems to think this is where I'm generating power on my drive (which he's impressed with) but it's causing chaos with irons off the grass, lots of tops.
I know I should turn into the ball but how do I make this happen?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you can keep your left arm straight on the practice area and stand a little more upright, this will give you an idea of how high you need to keep your shoulders in order to hit the ball, dont try this once then go onto the course though, itll be disasterous.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
this might be the answer brendy. I always used to swing from an upright position.
I had my pro do a fitting on my existing clubs - they weren't far out but to compensate I've started to swing the irons flatter so as to keep the clubhead parallel with the ground at impact. It may be this that is causing the problem.
thanks

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a problem with this for ages and still revert when under pressure. I just try to concentrate on turning my shoulders and staying upright. Might be worth a lesson to get sorted out before it's ingrained.

AliB

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just returned from my first lesson with a pro today and he said exactly the same thing about right shoulder ( I am left handed). The drill for this was to take the club back away from the ball straighter with more width. I was taking it back too much on the inside which caused me to get cramped for room and to compensate I was dipping my right shoulder. Checking the position half way back seems to keep me more upright and has eliminated a lot of my heavy shots.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw myself on video today - not a pretty sight! Not only am I dropping the shoulder and collapsing the right knee but the reverse pivot is back.

Instead of trying to sell me the new irons I went in for the salesman at directgolf booked me in for a lesson (at the intro price as well). He reckons there's lots of power there but it needs channelling properly.

So the irons are on hold for a month or two while I sort the swing.

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Viscount.... From what i have heard it is to do with the lower body too, i have joined a tuition site and am going to upload my swing but on the homepage the sample lesson talks about this problem and it says it is all about the right hip, this fella drops in height so it may be worth a look for you its called, directgolftuition, (heard about it on joinging the site, (think somebody from the site was spamming but i thought sod it ill give it a go!) i will let you know if it is any good anyway. Sample lesson on homepage should be of interest and might be worth a look for you anyway! lol all play well!!! :)