driving range sort of rant!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No poke at the OP :) but r was a middle-aged guy so may have been any or all of the following:

a) lonely
b) retired
c) unemployed
d) widowed
e) Have had a bad day and wanted to chew the fat.

Hardly the worst crime in the world to instigate a bit of chat if he'd not had much company that day..

I agree with you but I'm usually on a tight schedule if I'm practicing midweek either daytime on a day off or after work. I have a lot wrong with my game and to be honest want to be left to my own devices. If someone says hello I'll be sociable and reply but I'm not there to spend ages dissecting mine/his swing. If he wants to have a chat go into the clubhouse, grab a coffee and talk to the passing customers. I don't mean to be hard or stand offish but golf and particularly my practice time is valuable to me and I want to use it to drain what ever morsel or golfing respectability remains in my game

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree with you but I'm usually on a tight schedule if I'm practicing midweek either daytime on a day off or after work. I have a lot wrong with my game and to be honest want to be left to my own devices. If someone says hello I'll be sociable and reply but I'm not there to spend ages dissecting mine/his swing. If he wants to have a chat go into the clubhouse, grab a coffee and talk to the passing customers. I don't mean to be hard or stand offish but golf and particularly my practice time is valuable to me and I want to use it to drain what ever morsel or golfing respectability remains in my game
Perhaps if he saw your swing he might move a few bays down in case it is contagious. :D

Id put on a mad swing like Charley Barkley. I reckon I could clear a range doing this...

[video=youtube_share;s50K65PNeBU]http://youtu.be/s50K65PNeBU[/video]

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
The bit about being on the range is that i am usually there to practice something, i dont just go to the range to hit balls to pass an hour, i will have a single swing thought that i am trying to work on, if i hit 40 slices i dont really care because i am not focusing on anything else but getting 1 part to work and once i feel that part is starting to come then i will try to actually hit real shots. To get that feeling into the whole swing.
Why do people not ask are you working on something or are you just up for fun to get an idea of what you are actually doing. instead of trying to give advice because they bought a David Leadbetter VHS tape 20 years ago LOL.

If i see someone doing something wrong and i think i could offer helpful advice i will politely say do you know you are overswinging? or do you know you are not setting up square at address? are you trying to fade or draw the ball? something like that. Though usually on to people i know a bit first although 1 guy a stranger on Friday night was shanking and i politely said excuse me but do you mean to stand so close to the ball at address? it looks like you need to back off the ball a bit and he tried it and he started hitting them well after that and shook my hand before he left.

If he had been hitting reasonable shots i would never have spoken to him at all but my attention was drawn to him by the sighs and grunts from all the shanks and he was in the bay behind me too. The range was busy so i couldnt move elsewhere either hence the offer of advice.