Driving Irons

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Any body currently using one of the new breed of driving irons - TM P790UDI , Wilson Staff Model Utility , Honma TW-U , Titleist U500 or 510 , Ping G410 Crossover ?

I'm considering one for next season, and have £150 of vouchers from work which can be used at AG.

Just wondering if there are any recommendations, thanks in advance

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Hit the u500 against my 716 tmb 3 iron. Basically the same club. The 510 went a little higher but looks a bit ugly IMO. Not hit any of the rest

D

Deleted member 1147

I don’t want much offset, which makes me think the TM UDI may be the front runner

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'm hitting a Japanese Epon AF-901 that's excellent. Unfortunately, it's been replaced in their lineup with the AF-903 that is reported to be less forging.

My driving-iron overlaps lofts with my fairway wood, but I don't care. On a scary driving hole, I can slap an ugly line drive down the middle of the fairway and actually find my ball.
I don't try to hit it from the fairway, however, which results in the overlapping fairway wood.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Any body currently using one of the new breed of driving irons - TM P790UDI , Wilson Staff Model Utility , Honma TW-U , Titleist U500 or 510 , Ping G410 Crossover ?

I'm considering one for next season, and have £150 of vouchers from work which can be used at AG.

Just wondering if there are any recommendations, thanks in advance

I really wanted the Callaway Apex driving iron last year. When I tried it out, I wasn't hitting it so well, so tried the Ping Crossover, which was a huge improvement

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I fancy something for those dry days when the fairways are running, just to bunt a stinger down.
I sometimes find that when it’s running, tee shots with driver or FW woods can bounce off out of control.
Gonna use it about twice a year then...?
The Srixon ones always seem to do well in tests - might be worth a look.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the Ping G410 Crossover, that I swap from time to time with my hybrid. When going it has a nice flight, and gives more run than the hybrid. When behaving its a fairway finder.

Visit site
I put a Steelfiber fc115 S in my 3i to gain height and to try it out as an experiment, not only do I get the height but it flies. Anything from 230-250 depending on lie (tee/fairway) Had 270 once. So ended up reshafting my irons with steelfibers. I had a driving 2i which had a differing Steelfiber in but didn't get on with it, so I thought get the same 3i head put the same Steelfiber 115 half inch longer in and bend it to 17°. Just amazing, so I've got 2 3irons in my bag now. Heads are Wishon 575cb.

Dannyc

Visit site
I’ve just had the Wilson staff 2 iron after selling my callaway 2 iron
I absolutely love it it seems so easy to hit even when it comes off the toe it still gets out there can’t wait see it go on some dry fairways in the summer
Would defo recommend it
Golf online u can do basic custom fit before ordering

Bobby19

Visit site
Recently I’ve been having no joy whatsoever with my driver & have actually been using my 5 iron of the tee which goes remarkably well and has been saving me dropped shots.
Just wondering would a driving iron be a good purchase under these circumstances?

sunshine

Visit site
I have a Mizuno MP18 fli-hi, you can get them for about £100 now, or the newer MP20 for £150-ish.

Feels no different to my irons (also Mizuno), just love the soft feel off the forged face. I went for dynamic gold shaft to match my irons (although it's a lighter version). Basically it's just an extension of my iron set and it feels so comfortable.

It's not essential, but I'd recommend going for a driving iron that matches your irons (assuming you like your irons).

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In the summer I use my Ping G700 4-iron off of the tee on the shorter par 4s. It’s the Powerspec loft at 18.5 degrees, so has a similar loft to many designated driving irons. I wish that they made a 3-iron in this model.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm actually thinking about getting a driving iron for this year, or something like. I've never been able to hit a 3 wood that consistently, and there are a few holes at my course where you can't really afford to fade it much off the tee in summer as you'll run off into ditches on the right. I would need something forgiving though so probably a GAPR Mid, or maybe a Ping crossover.