Driving distance

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I hit my driver between 220-230 yards. Obviously against the pros I am down by 100 yards but how does that compare. Do I need to work on it?

Thanks

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Hi all

I hit my driver between 220-230 yards. Obviously against the pros I am down by 100 yards but how does that compare. Do I need to work on it?

Thanks

Deoends where on the course it ends up.

id take 230 on the fairways all day long.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks

If the hole is only 240 then no. If it's 590 then yes. I drive on average 210 and that doesn't bother me. Sometimes if I am very lucky it will go straight, but usually I have an 8 iron back onto the fairway

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would love 230 on the fairway.

I am 190 in to the rough, 250 down the middle, 220 in the rough on the right, 280 out of bounds left

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Play off 21 so long way from singles digits but only took up the game properly a couple of years

Now looking at areas to improve which is why I asked

Putting, chipping and pitching are a must but wasn’t sure on the driving. Probably hit 50% fairways with 25% reasonable misses and 25% well if I get lucky I am on someone else’s fairway if not then it’s new balls please. Obviously consistency is needed but hoping that comes with playing more

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
220-230 is fine, probably average for most club golfers, maybe even slightly above average. As others have said it obviously more important that you find the fairway with them as well. 230 yards but a massive slice is no use to anybody.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be happy mate. Very respectable. Don't judge yourself against pro's, they play a different game. Particularly different over in America where the air is warmer, possibly thinner, so it travels further.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks

better to look at what kinda shape the game is in as a whole

- but generally if someone was hitting that distance

- & then regularly hitting fairways a good deal of the time (so you would need to actually check your stats to see out of 3 or 4 rounds how often you hit fairway when the driver was used)

then they should be capable (if the rest of the game was in decent shape also) of breaking 85 most of the time & also capable of breaking 80 some of the time on an average length club course

if that's not happening then there would be a bunch of other things that would need to be looked at before worrying about hitting the river any further - usually looking to swing to hit the ball better - center strike etc is a better thing to concentrate on & a bunch of lessons the best ways to find out what really needs to be addressed first off

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you look at your average tour pro their average driving distance is around 290, forget the big hitters. SO your about 60-70 yards shorter than an average tour player. A lot of club golfers don't actually hit it as far as they like to think they do. Look up online at tests that have been done where they ask them what they think their average drive is and then show them what it really measures at.

If you can get it out there 230 yards in play more often than not then your doing ok. So in reality you can hit any par 4 of 380 yards or shorter with a good drive and nothing more than a 6i I'm guessing. You will have enough distance to hit most holes in regulation without needing long irons and fairway woods. So I would say working on your wedge play and putting is what will give you the biggest return when trying to knock shots off.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My drive, when it hits is about 260, but when i miss i normally top it and go about 30 yards, so thats an obvious one to work on!

Posting a link to some random youtube video with some stats, i thought they were interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWhaT6fEJMw

Need to be careful putting such facts out. Your going to upset too many gofers if you spread this around.

Op - your probably a little above average. Time to not worry about this aspect of the game and move on with focusing on some other part. Nought wrong with that distance