Driving and technology

pingzing

Hacker
Visit site
After reading this months edition of GM,I was inspired to go and try a new driver out, as for the last few years I have been using a Cobra 440SZ.

My first impression of new drivers (I hadnt hit a 460 sized driver before) was the size of the head being far bigger than anything I had used before, and when I was lining up to hit the ball I knew I was going to pummel it straight down the fairway.

In the end after trying a few drivers, getting a few blisters and starting to love a new driver, I decided to buy a Cobra LDM, and I have already noticed a huge difference in my swing.

Basically what I am getting at is that in the space of only 3 or 4 years since I bought my 440SZ, technology has advanced significantly and now I only have to hit the ball at 75% of the speed I previously used to get the same results with my new driver. Is technology now creating less of a void between high handicappers like myself and players with a lower handicap, as it seems less skill is needed off the tee to get the ball to go where you want?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Now you are hitting at 70%, but wait till you try to crush it (and you will). Not so easy then though.

However:

In essence, yes. Ten years ago the driver was the preserve of good golfers and not for the likes of us. Massive increases in MOI have made them much more forgiving. (note all attempts to make a bigger cc have increased the MOI, even before todays odd shapes). New materials have enabled them to be built bigger, and lighter clubs can also be swung faster. Titqanium faces have also enabled a maximised spring effect, due to them being thinner. Offset faces, closed faces and heel weighting have attempted to solve the dreaded slice.

All this leads to why the RandA (etc) have frozen the MOI at 5200 somethings, the head volume at 460cc, the coefficient of restitution at .83 (ish) and I think the maximum size (X x Y x Z - I think the head has to fit into a box of these dimensions).

What is interesting is that all of these have been fixed in the last 3 years approx, ie: since your last driver change. I have also just upgraded to a 460cc driver from a 400cc model.

Obviously the funny shapes are new this year, supposedly make the clubs more forgiving. But these shouldn't make the clubs any longer (regardless of the adverts in the mags). The only thing now that can do that is shaft technology, a longer shaft, a closer matched product to your swing, or a faster, better, more powerful swing.

I wonder whether this is why there is a strong drive towards custom fit, since getting all this correct is now the only way to persuade people with a 1 year old driver to change, unless they like the new shapes.

Another interesting point, is that if all these variables are fixed, how are they going to pursuade us to shell out on a new driver in three years time. I mean, it won't be any longer, and it probably won't be more forgiving, giving the amount of limitation due to the new rules. We shall have to see, but the marketing will have to be pretty good.

Back to your original post, I have found that with a rubbish swing, my new driver is just as bad as any I have had before, and my longest ever drive was 20 years ago with a steel shafted persimmon faced wilson.

However, if you stood on the first tee 20 years ago, not many of your playing partners would have pulled out the driver very often, not until the Ping (persimmon faced, but everyone had one, can't remeber the name) came out.

Sadly, my handicap has not changed in 20 years, despite all the equipment advances, and so technically I must be a worse golfer now than I was before, given everything is now so easy to hit (drivers, fairways, hybrids, cavity back game improvers, wedges that spin from the rough, mallet headed inserted putters with grooved faces and alignment aids).

I actually think I am better, and have a much more rounded game, I putt better, and chip better, so where does that leave me, unless the game has got harder.

I certainly can't say that the game has got a lot easier.

Interesting that my new three wood (titleist 906F) has a small head on it, very remeniscent of clubs from years ago. It still goes further than some of my old drivers though.

Long answer, and not sure my ramble is going anywhere constructive...

B

birdieman

Pingzing, 460cc does not give you more distance, only more forgiveness.
Some of the longest drivers are smaller like 300cc.
I reckon it's a confidence thing you're seeing, you feel like you cant miss with the 460cc, you therefore relax and hey presto swing it better and longer. Everyone knows if you slow down, your timing will improve and you'll hit it longer.
Reality check- I've been through this 'fantacstic new driver feeling' several times....it will pass and your old faults will doubtless reappear in time, that's why we're sitting at work instead of on the PGA tour.