drivers

tigerwho

Visit site
hi im buying a new driver i would love to know i have no budget what is the best driver out consistency wise eg mainly hitting straight not worried about distance. thanks in advance.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi there Tiger, I've recently got myself a Ping G10 (£179)and it seems to be doing the trick for me just fine but I'm sure my fellow forumers will soon be recommending some others. (Probably Cobra L series something or other)
I would imagine a bit more information from yourself would be helpful to the guys to make a more informed recommendation.

Atticus.

tpred

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi tiger.welcome to the forum.

How long is a piece of string?
You need to give a few more details for anyone to be able to advise you.The best thing for you would be to go to your local pro and ask him about the various drivers available and he will give you advice.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
A_F is spot on really. A bit more info would be good in order to offer the best advice to you mate.

A_F is correct about some of us recommending Cobra, I rate theor stuff big-time although I have a TM Burner TP in my bag at the moment which is a weapon when hit well.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say the popular choices are (in the premium brands).

Ping G - 5 (old)/10 (new)
Cobra F speed
Callaway FT-3 (now old) or 460 or hyper x (new).

If you want to go cheaper

Benross / MD golf / Ben Sayers.

tigerwho

Visit site
i thought id post this already anyway try again im 17 off 15 ive been told i should be off 5-0 in 3 years time i have stiff shafts and i do draw the ball slightly

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
If you have stiff shafts and draw the ball slightly I would have a look at the Ping, The TM Burner that I have (it is so bloody long), the Cobra L4V (yellow), the Titleist 907 d1/d2 and the TM superquad just to name a few.

Best thing to do is to get down the range with a completely open mind and have a session trying various different drivers.

Just pick what works best for you at the end of the day regardless of brand. It doesn't matter what make is stamped on it as long as it does the job.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
G10 is a fantastic club I am hitting way more fairways than before and find it very forgiving.

Mate has a Mizuno MP-600, I would give that a try also.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tigerwho-i have tested the TM Burner Draw and can honestly say it is long and straight.

However you should test a number of different drivers to see what suits your game.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Going on a gut feeling here, tiger, are you a med to high handicapper? Id recommend something second hand and spend a little of the savings on a lesson or two on driving. A lot of people write off driving lessons as they arnt the most used clubs in the bag but I dont agree, missing fairways on long par 4s and par 5's leave you in danger of making a lot worse than par. Hit the fairways, get the pars. If and when you get a lesson or two, go to your local pro and try out as many drivers as possible, sometimes you are surprised by what manfacturer can make you happy. Personally I am referring to picking up an md wedge and falling for it, also back when I bought my Srixon driver, I loved it especially as I used to be a callaway driver fan.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just go somewhere with a lot of clubs and try the lot. If it suits you then that's the best. Don't forget to get the shafts checked - stiff on what you have now may not be stiff on another shaft.

BlackDot

Hacker
Visit site
This is spooky me and my friends have just returned from driving range after comparing clubs. Drivers on offer callaways, cobras, and Ping G10, the Ping lovely club but suits low handycappers, this was the general feeling amongst several different players of abilities between [****] hot and well........ [****] ( by own admission) I'd call it a players club!

Visit site
tiger i would recommend going to get custom fitted ,but make sure its a true custon fit i.e one with a launch monitor so your optimum launch angle and driver spin rates can be achieved.

As for which driver? i've not had much experiance trying them all out but there surley can only be a difference of 5-10 yards or so between the best manufacturers once they have been custom fitted. ;)

BlackDot

Hacker
Visit site
I'm just guessing here but i'm thinking your new to the game if that's correct then definatly king cobra it's without doubt the easiest club to use, lets suppose i'm wrong and you've been playing for a couple of years and your average drive is about oh i don't know 200 yrds and your handycap somewhere around 20 ish then try a callaway does'nt matter which one there all the same, easy to hit straight!. Or you could be a seasononed player having had the experience of numerous makers, and achieving low teens handycap and driving the ball 250yrds+ on a good day in which case it's got to be ping surely. Maybe however you are a top quality golfer regularly driving the ball beyond the 300 yrd marker and have a low single figure handycap in which case you will of course be using a titleist driver the hardest to hit but most rewarding by a mile................... My club by the way Callaway! despite the fact i should be using Titleist (why make the game harder?) ;)

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried a callway Fti square driver last night. they are supposed to be more consistent but less distance. the one i tried wasnt less distance... i carried it 260 into fog couldnt believe it, and the dispersion rate over the 8 odd shots i hit was no more than 20 yards which i thought was pretty good. this baby had an 11 degree loft and a regular flex shat so it launched into space before it came back down. Made me think about my set up.

Maybe if the Moon was behind me and not in front i wouldnt of hit it so well?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have tried most of them, and the answer is custom fit. If you ignore draw biased drivers as being rubbish as they try to correct swing faults that a lesson could fix then there can't be any difference in the heads at all.

Once the COR is limited, the volume is limited, the maximum dimensions are limited, the moment of inertia is limited, what difference can there be except styling.

Ok, some are more biased towards getting the ball airborne, which rules out Cobra heads for me, but in general there can't be that much difference in the head.

So it all comes down to shafts.

Answer: for the driver, the most important thing is get on a launch monitor and get the right shaft.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another vote for G10 here.

Just picked one up a fortnight ago and love it. Tried G10 / Hyper-X / L4V / MP-600 / Burner Draw and G10 suited me best.

But key word in that sentence is 'me'! Really best advice is to try as many as possible and pick which suits.

collins

Club Champion
Visit site
Another very satisfied G10 owner here! Bought mine earlier this wk after a couple of range tests and better still it goes further and more consistently than my TM860 burner which is banned anyway - and I got £20 trade in on!