Drivers suitable for beginners

Bobby19

Visit site
Since taking the game up prior to Christmas I’ve slowly put together a decent set up including a cart bag, set of irons & a putter.

I’ve been mainly playing par 3 so no real need for a driver so far but am hoping to venture to a full course soon so my next purchase will be a driver.

Just wondering what drivers do you recommend for maximum forgiveness that would suit someone like myself?

My budget would be £200 max.

Thanks for any assistance/guidance in advance.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Yup. Ping g series of pretty much any number will do the business for you, but at that budget id get to your nearest American golf and sample their used range. Hit loads and buy the one you like best.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can highly recommend the cobra f7

2 years old now model wise but can pick up brand new online for like £170

Also echo the fact that you can’t go wrong with anything ping

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have to agree with the Ping G series (25/30/G/G400) superb forgiving drivers.

The 25/30/G can be picked up from between £70-140, the G400 a tad more as newer but under £200.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anything Ping as others have said. There are great sites like Affordable Golf and Golfbidder with some great second hand offers. With your budget you should find something decent for you

you on commission for these sites Homie? know your not an AG fan but seem to be plugging Golfbidder every other post lately

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
you on commission for these sites Homie? know your not an AG fan but seem to be plugging Golfbidder every other post lately
Not but e-bay I've found a lottery and at least Golfbidder (and I mentioned Affordable Golf too you know) offer a starting point in terms of stock and price. Add in their decent service and their 7 day money back offer and it's a decent set up. No-one is forcing anyone to look at the site and no I'm not on commission, just a happy customer

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not but e-bay I've found a lottery and at least Golfbidder (and I mentioned Affordable Golf too you know) offer a starting point in terms of stock and price. Add in their decent service and their 7 day money back offer and it's a decent set up. No-one is forcing anyone to look at the site and no I'm not on commission, just a happy customer

You can spend as much on advertisement as you want but can’t beat recommendation from a happy customer

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For £200 you can probably pick up new or ex-demo versions of nearly any manufacturers 2018 models. For a beginner, there is going to be little difference between the brands forgiving models, I would just see what's available and try it on the range before you buy.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you've only played irons up until now I'd look at a 3 wood rather than a driver, easier to get airborne when you're starting and cheaper too.

I'll also go against the grain and say there's no need to get forgiving clubs, they'll just make you lazy and not bother to improve your swing.

FAB90

Visit site
I only started playing in September and started with an old taylormade driver but got a new cobra f8 for my birthday last month and find it pretty easy to use. Saying that driver is the only club I can hit reasonably consistently

DD32

Visit site
Been playing properly for 6 months now. Brought a ping G30 off our pro after a two week trial with that and a few other drivers. Absolutely love it. Hit it consistently 80 yards further than my old driver and usually straighter.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I only started playing in September and started with an old taylormade driver but got a new cobra f8 for my birthday last month and find it pretty easy to use. Saying that driver is the only club I can hit reasonably consistently

It's the only club I can't hit anything but a shank with. Next round I play you can hit the driver shots for me and I'll take over from there 😂