Driver Yips

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It seems I have a case of the driver yips (is that even a thing?).
Since about 8 years ago when I was diagnosed with a very strong grip and was advised to bring it back to neutral, I have periodically suffered from re-gripping the club at the top of the swing. I guess this is because the stronger grip feels natural to me and a neutral grip feels open and that I am going to slice the ball, so I re-grip stronger. This is an involuntary action and it happens despite me knowing it will wreck the shot.
Usually this happens when I haven’t played for a while or if I am playing particularly badly. Usually I just play through it and the problem goes away.
Just now though the issue has become more serious. I have been playing particularly badly since lockdown, pulling everything left which is my miss. The re-gripping started, adding to my woes but now I have times when I cannot take the club away to start the swing or if I can manage that, I freeze at the top. It’s a horrible feeling and I go for entire rounds without hitting a decent drive. This only happens with driver and 3 wood off the tee. In the past I have been a decent driver of the ball.
I was wondering if anyone else had suffered with this or even if anyone has a cure. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I am now at the point where I am seriously considering giving up the game I love.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try to keep your arms very connected to your chest as you take the club away, try not to have any independant arm action but take the club back initially by only turning your chest and shoulders. Try practising with a rolled towel held across your chest and gripped under both armpits.. A shortened backswing where the club shaft is just level with the ground may help with this.

Hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 25172

It seems I have a case of the driver yips (is that even a thing?).
Since about 8 years ago when I was diagnosed with a very strong grip and was advised to bring it back to neutral, I have periodically suffered from re-gripping the club at the top of the swing. I guess this is because the stronger grip feels natural to me and a neutral grip feels open and that I am going to slice the ball, so I re-grip stronger. This is an involuntary action and it happens despite me knowing it will wreck the shot.
Usually this happens when I haven’t played for a while or if I am playing particularly badly. Usually I just play through it and the problem goes away.
Just now though the issue has become more serious. I have been playing particularly badly since lockdown, pulling everything left which is my miss. The re-gripping started, adding to my woes but now I have times when I cannot take the club away to start the swing or if I can manage that, I freeze at the top. It’s a horrible feeling and I go for entire rounds without hitting a decent drive. This only happens with driver and 3 wood off the tee. In the past I have been a decent driver of the ball.
I was wondering if anyone else had suffered with this or even if anyone has a cure. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I am now at the point where I am seriously considering giving up the game I love.

Do you have the same issue with starting the swing if you’re on the driving range, or is it just “under pressure” when chasing a score on the course?

You’re obviously aware of the issue regarding the grip, so that you can address physically, so need to find the “trigger” to ease your mind.

Personally I tend to be able to change and/or let go of any triggers/routines from the course when I go to the range, but understand that may not be the case for everyone.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have the same issue with starting the swing if you’re on the driving range, or is it just “under pressure” when chasing a score on the course?

You’re obviously aware of the issue regarding the grip, so that you can address physically, so need to find the “trigger” to ease your mind.

Personally I tend to be able to change and/or let go of any triggers/routines from the course when I go to the range, but understand that may not be the case for everyone.
Until this week I only had the re-gripping problem on the course. Unfortunately though this week it has started on the range as well and worsened with the not being able to start the swing or freezing at the top (both on the range and the course).
The internet seems to suggest it’s caused by “fear of the outcome” which would make sense as it manifests itself when I am playing badly or when I haven’t played much, so I am surprised I am now experiencing it on the range as well.