Driver vs Putter

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And no one one holes any putts over 10ft.
Getting better at amateur golf is about not making doubles, then bogies as you get into lower single figures.

The easiest way to do that is by getting better off the tee and approach shots.

I would say that my biggest improvement getting me from 16 to 6 was a big improvement in my short game ( I mean all parts from about 120 yards in). Pitching and chipping to the point where you either hole out or only single putt is a very big part of low score golf.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Look up Lou Stagner, his stats prove that no one hits it close as an average.
So good putting is the difference.
Lou Stagner is a huge advocate of the importance of driving and has had a well publicised effort to increase his driving length.
Although good drives don't always result in you getting close to the hole with the second, they do result in a lot fewer missed greens.
No one is suggesting that putting is not important, but the evidence suggests that good drivers tend to score lower as a result of their driving than good putters do as a result of their putting.
The whole game is clearly important but basically without a decent long game (driving and approach play) no one scores well.

D

Deleted member 1147

And no one one holes any putts over 10ft.
Getting better at amateur golf is about not making doubles, then bogies as you get into lower single figures.

The easiest way to do that is by getting better off the tee and approach shots.
Maybe at your level.
But for some of us low handicap players the way To improve is by holing more putts.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Look up Lou Stagner, his stats prove that no one hits it close as an average.
So good putting is the difference.

If your average first putt distance after an approach from say 140yds is 50ft and you can improve that to 25ft you will see a vast difference in your putting stats. Your putting skill will not have improved however.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Maybe at your level.
But for some of us low handicap players the way To improve is by holing more putts.

Yes, for some, during some rounds, putting is the key to lower scores.

But for most people, even the godly low single figure players. There are more gains to be had elsewhere.

John Evans 9

Visit site
Well this is one of those “it depends” questions.
For a high handicapper who gets into trouble off the tee, topping,wild slices,hooks or just too short to reach the fairway, then driving is all important. However good his putting he’ll never improve until he hits the fairways.
Really low handicappers generally have a pretty reliable long game and their better rounds coincide with fewer putts.
Most of us fall in the mid-range usually making mistakes on both tee and green.
So I think the most important part of the game for poor players is driving, and putting for good players.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll use the analogy thats been posted before.

If you played with a Rory, Tiger, DJ etc, and they took all your tee shots but you putted everything, would you score lower than if you took all the tee shots and they just putted for you. Think the answer is pretty obvious.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
If I had a bad putting day and 3 putted every green that is 18 shots thrown away. I can't ever imagine giving away 18 shots off the tee, even dropping down to a mid iron off the tee isn't going to lose me anywhere near 18 shots.

I don't think suggesting 3 putting 18 times in a round is a 'bad day putting' when your average 19 handicap golfer will 3 putt 3.5 times a round.

Whilst putting is important it's a function of what comes before it, so if players can hit longer and better drives then their approaches are likely to be closer which makes chipping easier or hitting more green more likely = fewer putts.

Edited for accuracy.

Last edited:

Funt1m3

Visit site
The challenge for most is putting just isn’t sexy. Difference between 36 and 30 putts is obviously huge, but doesn’t have the same impact in your (and everyone else’s) head as ace’ing the driver

It’s probably only when you get down to low handicapper that you prioritise

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The challenge for most is putting just isn’t sexy. Difference between 36 and 30 putts is obviously huge, but doesn’t have the same impact in your (and everyone else’s) head as ace’ing the driver

It’s probably only when you get down to low handicapper that you prioritise
Spot on matey.

I see plenty spending an hour on the range, but never a full hour on pitching, chipping and putting, where most of the improvements on scoring can be made.

This has made me realise why I am such a freak.
2 years learning to putt.
2 years on an 18-hole pitch and putt.
Then ventured on to a golf course.
Still only a nipper at the time, but I could chip and putt like a single figure h'cap golfer. Couldn't drive the ball more than 150 yards when I first broke 100.

Chipping and putting, I found, got more difficult when my eyes and hands got further away from the ball. But I had learned the importance factor.

D

Deleted member 1147

Spot on matey.

I see plenty spending an hour on the range, but never a full hour on pitching, chipping and putting, where most of the improvements on scoring can be made.

This has made me realise why I am such a freak.
2 years learning to putt.
2 years on an 18-hole pitch and putt.
Then ventured on to a golf course.
Still only a nipper at the time, but I could chip and putt like a single figure h'cap golfer. Couldn't drive the ball more than 150 yards when I first broke 100.

Chipping and putting, I found, got more difficult when my eyes and hands got further away from the ball. But I had learned the importance factor.
The difference you often see is between those who played a lot as kids, and those that started properly as adults.
Just the set up and comfort levels, stood over a chip, look different.

We used to have chipping competitions. You don’t see a few adults doing the same very often.