Driver vs Putter

TigerBear

Visit site
I think it depends on the golfer.

Higher handicappers lose their shots in the trees, lower handicappers make up shots on the greens!

so true, as I have gotten better and the handicap going down, i've noticed that I can make more allowance for the odd horror tee shot. Pull it back with a solid 2nd shot or make up for it with a one putt.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
so true, as I have gotten better and the handicap going down, i've noticed that I can make more allowance for the odd horror tee shot. Pull it back with a solid 2nd shot or make up for it with a one putt.

This is the crux
What was it that got you better?
Driver in play or fewer putts

TigerBear

Visit site
This is the crux
What was it that got you better?
Driver in play or fewer putts

Overall, short game improvement. Worked very hard on pitching, chipping and putting. 100 yards in I'm very confident and also keeping the 3 putts completely off the card. I was horrific for chucking away strokes needlessly with 3 and even 4 putts.

Although off the tee I've found a bit of consistency (thanks largely to lessons), however being able to recover after a poor drive i.e. getting on the green or in a good position to get up and down with the second shot has also helped, quite considerably!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think a good chipping and putting day can mask a myriad of poor ball striking issues. As long as you can get the ball in play, and within 50-100 yards of the green then a good short game can really help a score. I hit it awfully yesterday but scrambled well and saved at least 5 shots

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It does amuse me when players refer to skilful shots as "scrambling". Should the playing of full-swing shots be called "bashing"?

"I was bashing it well today, but my skilful shots let me down a bit"

"Bashed it poorly today, but made up for it with some good skilful play."

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does amuse me when players refer to skilful shots as "scrambling". Should the playing of full-swing shots be called "bashing"?

"I was bashing it well today, but my skilful shots let me down a bit"

"Bashed it poorly today, but made up for it with some good skilful play."
I don't even know what scrambling means. My Hole19 app has a stat for 'scrambling %' but it's separate from the up-and-down %. No idea how it's calculated. On my last full round I had 16.7% scrambling. No idea.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't even know what scrambling means. My Hole19 app has a stat for 'scrambling %' but it's separate from the up-and-down %. No idea how it's calculated. On my last full round I had 16.7% scrambling. No idea.

Up & Down - The percentage of time a golfer was able to make an approach shot to the green and take one or no putts.

Scrambling - Tracking this particular statistic allows golfers to measure how often a bogey is avoided after missing the green with an approach shot

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I love this concept and embrace it fully.

Unfortunately during the season at my home course, when the grass is in full bloom, it can be difficult to embrace. Just miss the fairway, and you will be in a uniform 2 inch thick lush cut from where most will do well to advance it forward. Beyond that 2nd cut and you will be in the trees and will do well to not have to come out sideways or backwards for your second shot. Assuming it was a poor shot that put you in that position you will probably do well to get on the green in three, where you better hope you single putt for your bogey or worse.

If only I had hit it long and straight.