Driver vs Putter

D

Deleted member 23270

Depends what you consider ‘average’. I’d say it’s pretty rare. Handicap generally follows driving ability, especially the lower you get.
I used to play with a 3capper years ago, couldn't hit a fairway to save his life but probably taught Seve everything he knew about recovery shots. Pretty rare to be fair though.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the end of the day every part of the game is as important as the others..if one or two of them aren't working then you're not scoring well and if they all work then you shoot a PB.
There will be players at both ends of the spectrum and plenty in the middle.
Golf has so many variables..

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Basically, if you’re a hacker you probably need to improve your long game (driving, long irons etc).
If you’re a good/decent player, improving your putting will probably save more shots.
Not necessarily. The gains putting become much smaller the better you get.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I admit to not being a great putter for more reasons that I care to mention, but I maintain a decent handicap thanks to my driving, so for my driving is more important.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If you hit every green in reg and 2 putt all of them, your best way of improving is to home more putts.

and the easiest way to hole more putts is to hit your ball closer to hole with your approach shot....and the best way to do that is to drive your ball closer to the green.

D

Deleted member 1147

and the easiest way to hole more putts is to hit your ball closer to hole with your approach shot....and the best way to do that is to drive your ball closer to the green.
Look up Lou Stagner, his stats prove that no one hits it close as an average.
So good putting is the difference.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Look up Lou Stagner, his stats prove that no one hits it close as an average.
So good putting is the difference.
And no one one holes any putts over 10ft.
Getting better at amateur golf is about not making doubles, then bogies as you get into lower single figures.

The easiest way to do that is by getting better off the tee and approach shots.