Driver spin

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm always looking to increase my spin rate. My pairs partner is the opposite.

He uses a 10 degree driver with balls intended to lower the spin, I use a 12 with balls intended to raise the spin.

Horses for courses. I can't think we've ever discussed low/high spin driver heads.....

Maybe if we were pro....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm always looking to increase my spin rate. My pairs partner is the opposite.

He uses a 10 degree driver with balls intended to lower the spin, I use a 12 with balls intended to raise the spin.

Horses for courses. I can't think we've ever discussed low/high spin driver heads.....

Maybe if we were pro....

Good point Dave :thup:

I play a low spin driver, with a higher spinning ball (Pro V1) and get just what I'm looking for.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A golf ball can only spin on one axis, there is no such condition as a ball having both backspin and a separate side spin. Side spin is a result of the spin axis being tilted to one side.

Higher lofted clubs slice less because the difference between the clubface direction and swingpath direction gets smaller as the loft increases.

Modern golf balls, especially the more expensive multi core balls produce differing spin rates depending on the pressure being applied them. It's not correct that a ball like a Pro V 1 will always create high spin rates with any club, it will tend to create more sin when hit with lofted clubs though.