Driver spin

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Something that's been playing on my mind for a while and I thought I'd throw this out to the forum to broarden my knowledge.

You see different brands and models of driver labelled as "High spin" or "Low spin"

Take the MP630 in my bag. That's marketed as a low spinning driver.

I thought, probably wrongly, that the idea of a driver was to keep spin to a minimum, so, why would you want a high spinning driver?

What kind of player would both types (High and low) help?

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usually high spin equals high flight and low spin equals low flight no? A player might generate very low spin with his swing and need some help getting the ball up into the air,so a higher spinning shaft/driver would help.

A

Alex1975

Usually high spin equals high flight and low spin equals low flight no? A player might generate very low spin with his swing and need some help getting the ball up into the air,so a higher spinning shaft/driver would help.

This^. I am told optimum is 2500 rpm. If you launch your driver high you will have good carry but no roll out, if you launch it too low it will roll but have no carry.

I personaly dont think this is a high/low handicap thing, its simply a how much spin does your swing create. I hit the ball highish with a driver bit not silly high so I have a mid launch shaft with a mid/low head, comes out with a lovely mid flight and good roll out.

I have had fittings in the past where the fitter could not get my spin down to an acceptable level with stock shafts.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Would this not also affect the left and right spin on the ball?

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would this not also affect the left and right spin on the ball?

Left/right spin is usually more to do with the swing I think.When driver/shaft makers talk about more or less spin they are usually talking about helping the ball climb or keeping it down.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Left/right spin is usually more to do with the swing I think.When driver/shaft makers talk about more or less spin they are usually talking about helping the ball climb or keeping it down.

This is what's throwing me.

I can't understand how they can affect the spin of one axis (Back spin) without it affecting the other (Left/Right spin). As the ball doesn't just spin backwards, depending on flight, surely the other spin must be affected to?

I understand the backspin gives it the height, and your swing path the spin (with a few other factors) so if you make one of these high spin, surely the other is affected too?

A

Alex1975

I can't understand how they can affect the spin of one axis (Back spin) without it affecting the other (Left/Right spin). As the ball doesn't just spin backwards, depending on flight, surely the other spin must be affected to?

I understand the backspin gives it the height, and your swing path the spin (with a few other factors) so if you make one of these high spin, surely the other is affected too?

I use my ball selection to address side spin issues. That may not really be answering your question... Umm If I think I have too much draw I tend not to use a Pro V, Ill use an NXT Tour, If I am feeling in control then I will the Pro V.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If indeed you are having issues with side spin,and you are up for changing your ball,then the Bridgestone E6 is designed to combat this issue specifically.The NXT Tour,as Alex mentioned,is also pretty straight,I use both and really like them.

A

Alex1975

If indeed you are having issues with side spin,and you are up for changing your ball,then the Bridgestone E6 is designed to combat this issue specifically.The NXT Tour,as Alex mentioned,is also pretty straight,I use both and really like them.

With of course the best thing to do being get a lesson or work on what you know is wrong.... :eek:

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With of course the best thing to do being get a lesson or work on what you know is wrong.... :eek:

I could not agree more,the best way to avoid excessive side spin is to hit the ball square from a neutral swing path! But we all know how hard that can be,eh? ;-)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm more than happy with my ball flight to be honest.

Following a minor change I have a controlable 10 yard fade and a nice penetrating flight. As evidenced by hitting 7 out of 8 fairways at the weekend with the big dog.

I was more interested in broardening my horizons, techniaclly, and this is something that has always played on my mind.

A

Alex1975

I'm more than happy with my ball flight to be honest.

Following a minor change I have a controlable 10 yard fade and a nice penetrating flight. As evidenced by hitting 7 out of 8 fairways at the weekend with the big dog.

I was more interested in broardening my horizons, techniaclly, and this is something that has always played on my mind.

Spin rate and launch angle are the 1st thing to look at. Spin rate about 2500 rpm and launch angle of about 12*(I think?). They then look at the drop angle(not sure what they call it but the angle that the ball drops out of the sky at). These are the things they will look at if you spend some time on a launch monitor. If you have great revs and launch angle but your ball is dropping out of the sky too steep then you are losing distance as you will have little to no roll.

I am whittering....

Bubba Watson
6.75* Driver
Driver Length - 44"
Clubhead Speed - 125 mph
Ball Speed - 194 mph
Ratio - 1.552 (incredible!)
Launch Angle - 15.5-17*
Spin Rate - 1865 rpm (super low!)
Carry Distance - 360 yards reported by Ping (Obscene!)
9* Upward Angle of Attack!!!

Tiger Woods
8.5* Driver
Clubhead Speed - 125
Ball Speed - 185 mph
Ratio - 1.48
Launch Angle - 11*
Spin Rate - 2200 rpm
Average Distance - 302 yards

Adam Scott
8.5* Driver
Clubhead Speed - 121 mph
Ball Speed - 170 mph
Ratio - 1.404
Launch Angle - 12*
Average Distance - 299 yards

Last edited:
A

Alex1975

"Ideal Numbers"

Ball SpeedLaunch AngleBack Spin (rpm's)
Carry Distance
170 mph11.5-15.5+*2000-2400289 yards
160 mph12-16+*2200-2650271 yards
150 mph13-16.5+*2300-2800252 yards
140 mph14-17+*2350-2950233 yards
130 mph14.5-17*2400-3100215 yards
120 mph15-17*2500-3300196 yards

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I can follow your logic - but it's flawed :)

The 'high spin' element of a head design is purely related to backspin, or spin in that axis if you prefer!

Any spin that you add/reduce to this from angle of attack (same axis) or in another axis, won't be affected per se by the 'high spin' mechanics - but if you use a high spin ball they will because that will accentuate all spin elements.

shafts affect the equation through their influence on the angle of attack of the club head in relation to the underlying angle of attack in your swing

loft will affect the backspin after all the above have had their influence, and will affect the impact of any other spin by dilution ie for any given set of the above, more loft will result in more backspin which will reduce the affect of any other spin elements introduced ie the net spin axix will remain closed to horizontal the higher the loft.

A

Alex1975

loft will affect the backspin after all the above have had their influence, and will affect the impact of any other spin by dilution ie for any given set of the above, more loft will result in more backspin which will reduce the affect of any other spin elements introduced ie the net spin axix will remain closed to horizontal the higher the loft.

So if you could play two equal or exact shots both with a slice, one with a 4 iron and the other with a PW the PW would slice less?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So if you could play two equal or exact shots both with a slice, one with a 4 iron and the other with a PW the PW would slice less?

if you could (and I can see all sorts of factors getting in the way :)) then yes.

the other problem is of course the definition of 'slice less' ! Not trying to be difficult but you have all sorts of problems with that definition too because it could be ratio distance traveled forwards or left/right, absolute distance etc.

easier to visualise 2 4 iron shots where one is swept and the other hit down through (it doesn't matter where the extra back spin component is derived from) and with both shots the club is traveling out to in on the same path etc. the one with the lower back spin will 'slice more' according to these new ball flight laws that everyone seems happy touting! the more back spin applied the closer to horizontal the final spin axis will be.