Driver Slice

devonlad

Club Champion
Visit site
Dealing with a horrendous driver slice that I have corrected in the past by using a ridiculous setup that I need to get out of the habit of. I have checked my grip and made sure I am aleaning away from the target on address which has helped but it still inconsitent. I have been reading about slicing the ball and from what I have found 70% of the problem is due to the club face open and 30% down to swing technique. Does anyone have any tips like closing the club face at address or will this just promote more bad habits.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What does your ball flight look like does it start of straight then move right or does it start right and keeps on going right.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ask Bob to show his head over drill and that will cure everything (including the common cold)

Set up 2 headcovers as shown below and learn to hit the ball without hitting the headcovers

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW&index=33[/video]

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Set up 2 headcovers as shown below and learn to hit the ball without hitting the headcovers

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW&index=33[/video]

This is a great drill, it's helped me immensely.

Francisceo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had to bump this thread as i'm having the same issue: ball starts straight and then goes right.
How should i setup the head-covers - looks like a couple of inches right and left of ball - is that right? How does the drill help - looks like it encourages a more in to out swing - is that right?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes.
Place them about a foot behind and in front and a few inches either side as per video.
Start will small swings and build up and you'll either improve your swing path or get fed up picking up the head covers from the range.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Search hank Haney 5 minute slice fix on YouTube... I do a variation of this exercise. I do 3 swings almost like a baseball swing to get the feeling I'm getting the in to out swing, I also have a very slightly closed stance as if I'm trying to draw and seems to work for me.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Take a look at your wrist action in the downswing. I was starting off great from the top and about half way down my wrists were flicking out creating the out to in swing. Get the feeling for keeping the club behind you more in the downswing to get an in to out swing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Take a look at your wrist action in the downswing. I was starting off great from the top and about half way down my wrists were flicking out creating the out to in swing. Get the feeling for keeping the club behind you more in the downswing to get an in to out swing.

But remember that (for a rightee) the right wrist should end up (through/after release) above, or at least not below, the left one. If it ends up below the left one, then the result will almost certainly be a high slice. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Go to a driving range with your driver and hit some drives and purposely close shut you driver too much, get that feeling that your closing it too much, then perhaps you can start to try to find the middle ground.

i tried this once and it helped me out so there you go

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dealing with a horrendous driver slice that I have corrected in the past by using a ridiculous setup that I need to get out of the habit of. I have checked my grip and made sure I am aleaning away from the target on address which has helped but it still inconsitent. I have been reading about slicing the ball and from what I have found 70% of the problem is due to the club face open and 30% down to swing technique. Does anyone have any tips like closing the club face at address or will this just promote more bad habits.

If you are wondering what is going wrong then go to the range and use your phone to record a few swings. Make sure that you do this with a neutral setup, not trying to do any compensations for your slice. Then stick it up on here, in no time at all someone will reply with the exact cause of your problem.

Do not worry about putting your swing on here for scrutiny, there has been some horror shows in the past, including my own swing. But I got a great tip straight away that cured my problem and helped no end.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you are wondering what is going wrong then go to the range and use your phone to record a few swings. Make sure that you do this with a neutral setup, not trying to do any compensations for your slice. Then stick it up on here, in no time at all someone will reply with the exact cause of your problem.

Do not worry about putting your swing on here for scrutiny, there has been some horror shows in the past, including my own swing. But I got a great tip straight away that cured my problem and helped no end.

Couldn't agree more. The Coach PM'd me a tonne of messages, which massively helped including grip and posture. For me, the grip has been the biggest one. I now have a proven way of ensuring my grip is right and my clubface is where it needs to be, and the swing is starting to take care of itself. Particularly from the tee, and pitching. Next challenge is using my 5 and 6 well off the deck for my 2nd shot!

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is a great tip, pro I use has me using alignment sticks pointing at around one o clock o help me get the path better.

One other thing that helps me is getting to the top of the backswing and letting my hands fall rather that swinging from the top, I was comming over the top causing a low slice and this has helped me stop this, maybe worth a try maybe but I am in no way a pro.