Driver and fairwoods holding me back.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As above

I guess if am honest with myself this has been the case for a few seasons for me.

I laser my irons for the most part and have a solid short game.( You need to hitting out from trees and rough almost every hole lol)

But when your hitting two fairways at best with the woods you have issues

I go to range and get it sorted for maybe a round at best then back to square one again and again. Issue basically is Hooking/pulling.

I look over my driver at address and see the face closed same with fairway wood. I just feel like its going left even before I hit. I fight it in my head on every drive.. I try to open the face at address before I hit it even which is a recipe for disaster.

I currently play off 8 and the odd day my driver/fairway wood works I shoot high 30s low 40s with ease.

I don't know if buying a driver that sits a little neutral/open at address is the answer or not ?

Be interesting to know if any of you guys have this issue before or even get what I mean in saying this lol

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly I would go with the comments about the grip and ask if you use grips with a ridged back. I cannot use these as they always close the club face for me.

A simple way to check if the club face is square/open or closed is to take your grip on the club then, ensuring you do not change it, bring the club up straight in front of you to face height where it is much easier to see the club face angle.

The other simple possibilities is that the grips are too thin or that the shaft is too soft for your swing.

CountLippe

Visit site
I play off a similar handicap to you and had this exact problem. I've sort of solved it by keeping the weight a bit more towards my right heel at address and slowing transition.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Try and weaken the grip.

Thats what I fine myself trying to do. Turning it in my hand so that it sits square but it only works 50% of the time as I like to sit the club behind the ball.

But when I do this the face is close. Looking at the specs i think they are 2degrees closed at address must be some sort anti slice built into the club.. tho it's coming very off putting

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm wary of giving advice on this but the visual thought might help. I had a couple of lessons recently and the pro is wanting me to aim down the right side of the fairway, hit through 1 o'clock. To get this he put an alignment stick down pointing to 2 o'clock to exaggerate the point. He then put another stock vertically in front of me, getting me to aim to the right of it. It is remarkable how effective this was. I took a stick out on the course with me last week, put it down for every tee shot and iron. The difference was marked. Nothing went left, i either went dead straight or in the inside right channel, hope you are old enough to get that one :D.

This might be a major change to what you do, at which point ignore it because you need a proper person to show you something major. If it is just a tweak, a thought to hold on to, then it may be worth a go.

Springveldt

Visit site
I play off a similar handicap to you and had this exact problem. I've sort of solved it by keeping the weight a bit more towards my right heel at address and slowing transition.
And this is why we love golf. I'm around the same handicap and my miss is the big pull left/hook. I seem to have "fixed" it for now and it was by actually opening my hips at address (which seemed like madness at the time), narrowing my stance a touch and keeping more weight on my left side. I think I sway off the ball with my driver and don't get back in time so the arms/hands out race everything and pull it left.

CountLippe

Visit site
And this is why we love golf. I'm around the same handicap and my miss is the big pull left/hook. I seem to have "fixed" it for now and it was by actually opening my hips at address (which seemed like madness at the time), narrowing my stance a touch and keeping more weight on my left side. I think I sway off the ball with my driver and don't get back in time so the arms/hands out race everything and pull it left.
Lol. Just goes to show.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My driver always looks open .
Maybe it’s an eyesight thing.
I come down to fast and leave the head behind result open face.
When my timing is good I hit it well .
Have you tried your mates drivers ?
It could be that simple that it dosnt suit you!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
My driver sits like the one on left and I think that's my issue. It's all in my head lol
It’s not the club....
I won’t dispute it may aim left when you put it down by the ball but that’s not causing the hook.
Hover the club at address, then you have zero excuse of it aiming left

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you got a fairly high lofted driver?

Yeah it's 10.5

I stand there at address and all I see is a club face pointing left

So I aim right? Then I think am aiming right and danger down the right. I need to aim down the middle. So I aim down the middle.

Then I end up feeling like am fighting it pulling left.

Doesn't happen every drive ? but am trying to make the point of the issue. With as you put it toe it. It's seems very off putting to me. And wonder how the rest of yous with drivers that sit this way deal with it.

Edit: you think if I de loft it that with square up the face at address