Driver Advice?

SteveF

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Guys, another newbie firmly bitten by the bug this summer and looking for a little advice.

My drives are a bit weedy; I'm getting just shy of 200 yards and would like a little more. I'm currently using a 400cc 11.0 degree Cobra, it seems quite forgiving but I'm thinking that there might be another 20-30 yards to come from a different driver.

For the record, I did hit a couple 220 yards or so this evening at the range but with the following hurricane we have over here at the moment I think my mum could probably have hit 220 yards :D

Any advice on what I should be looking for driver wise? All advice appreciated.

kidda34

Visit site
personally Ping G15 is awsome. But really I would advice to get fitted correctly when you buy your new driver to get correct shaft, loft etc. Or at very least try a few drivers in various lofts and flex etc on the range (most club shops let you do this)

SteveF

Medal Winner
Visit site
Relatively easy to hit, forgiving? I tried a 9.5 degree Titleist a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get on with it.

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Relatively easy to hit, forgiving? I tried a 9.5 degree Titleist a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get on with it.

ive had no problems with it, im only changing as i need a stiff shaft. the nike driver has the wrench with it so could set it up to suit you. you can have it for £85 delivered.

SteveF

Medal Winner
Visit site
Our range is a fairly barren place, no demo stuff available. I am taking lessons though, I hear that completely.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're new to the game, you're probably capable of another 20-30 yards just from improving technique alone, even without a new club. Is your swing pretty settled or still changing? The reason I ask is that technique evolves quite rapidly in the early months and years. You don't want to be stuck with a whippy (too flexible) shaft if you end up with a faster swing speed in a few months time.

If you are having lessons, ask your pro for some advice on whether to buy now or wait for further swing changes before buying.

I'm certainly not trying to stop you buying a driver at some point, as the feeling of getting a new big dog is awesome! :D

Just don't want you to end up with something that won't suit your game in a few motnhs ;)

SteveF

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you're new to the game, you're probably capable of another 20-30 yards just from improving technique alone, even without a new club. Is your swing pretty settled or still changing? The reason I ask is that technique evolves quite rapidly in the early months and years. You don't want to be stuck with a whippy (too flexible) shaft if you end up with a faster swing speed in a few months time.

If you are having lessons, ask your pro for some advice on whether to buy now or wait for further swing changes before buying.

I'm certainly not trying to stop you buying a driver at some point, as the feeling of getting a new big dog is awesome! :D

Just don't want you to end up with something that won't suit your game in a few motnhs ;)

I think the swing is fairly settled now. I still duff a few but I'm fairly confident in my distances on the range.

I just bought a set of used Mizuno irons and they added at least 10 yards per club so my logic is that the same approach would work for a driver.

I hear what you are saying about technique adding yardage...

SteveF

Medal Winner
Visit site
Try before you buy, not in a shop out on the range so you can see the flight of the ball

Good advice I think. I just found 2 semi-local ranges online that look like they have decent facilities, I will contact them both tomorrow and see if they have any demo stuff I can try.