Drill to stop hip sway / sliding

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure how it's happened but I have got into the habit of swaying a bit and also a steeper swing plane. My ball flight is therefore now quite low and when it goes really wrong it seems like i'm hitting the ball into the ground almost.

Any one got any tips or drills. I know I'm doing it, it's just that I'm not sure what to work on to correct it!.

Cheers

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Plonk an umbrella in the ground next to your left hip (assuming you're right handed) and then take your swing. If you hit the unbrella you've swayed too far to the left, if you don't then you stay correctly behind the ball. Obviously don't over compensate too much and sway too far to the right as you'll cause yourself other problems.

DHM.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ronald Macdonald (tm.) can save your game!

Go and buy a coffee, and take a few of their wooden stirrers home with you.

Go to the range, stick one in your mouth aimed directly at the ball and practice turning with no sway at all. In reality you won't suddenly have zero pivot, but the thought of keeping the stick aimed at the ball and NOT moving your weight either way should sort you out.

Laugh if you will, but it works.

d_h_m - are you sure you haven't described the old umbrella/shaft drill looking "as if you were an onlooker"? Surely BM123 is talking about moving too much to the RIGHT (LATERAL SWAY on the backswing) not to the left?

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
d_h_m - are you sure you haven't described the old umbrella/shaft drill looking "as if you were an onlooker"? Surely BM123 is talking about moving too much to the RIGHT (LATERAL SWAY on the backswing) not to the left?

Nope, I picked this drill up from a GM magazine some years back. I'm assuming here that if he feels like he's driving the ball into the ground then his movement is too far to the left, and not the right.

DHM.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he feels like he's driving the ball into the ground, then YES, the weight is getting through to the left side too much/too early. This is different from swaying. Otherwise, agreed.

In the early Leadbetter video (The Swing) with "Bill the 14 h'cap" (how he played to 14 was a ******** joke, doubt 24 would have been possible!) David sets a shaft either side of Bill's feet (hips) and gets him to pivot in between the two shafts and this is a great visual reminder as well as a genuine "try it in the garder" drill.

This is the same as the GM article and is well recommended to anyone concerned about over doing things.

B

birdieman

Could just widen your stance a little and add a little knee flex - that'll will get you very grounded.
A little sway isn't always a bad thing - Curtis Strange won 2 US opens with a big sway.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Keep your right knee pointed in towards the ball slightly. Keep your right foot pointing straight, that'll help limit hip movement during the backswing.

You'll feel a better coil too

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just have as a swing thought 'stand still ya bugger'. I have also found 'stop f***ing shanking' works well too.

you can get over technical you know.