Dr Stableford must be spinning in his coffin...

Does it bother you when people say/write stapleford instead of stableford?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 23344

Doesn’t really bother me. But incorrectly used apostrophes and poor punctation ... grrr!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My surname is spelt with 1 T and not 2, So about as often as I get annoyed with my name being misspelt.
My full name (forename + surname) only has 8 letters, but I am well used to a myriad of spellings. Fortunately won two comps one year which came with keepsakes - you guessed it, on presentation evening both wrong and different!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
what folks dont often realise is that people post from mobile devices and may have got it right but then been a victim of spellcheck and not noticed before clicking send!!!
Do you work in customer services? They always blame computer error???
But I always point out that someone told the computer what to do so surely it is human error??

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
what folks dont often realise is that people post from mobile devices and may have got it right but then been a victim of spellcheck and not noticed before clicking send!!!

We had one of the best and most puzzling autocorrects on a post on our golf whatsapp group yesterday evening. The phrase that was posted was “so we would have a chance of Wittgenstein comp”
Of course, I launched immediately into the mickey taking “You're a revelation and a constant surprise. I never knew you were into philosophy”. A couple of others joined in with posts such as “he went to school with Ludwig” and “could explain his funny accent”.
I eventually posted to say I couldn’t work out what he meant to post and he came back with “so we would have a chance of winning the comp”

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
That's a weak excuse. You can choose to proof read before hitting send, or you can choose to turn spell-check off altogether. It's not fair to shift responsibility onto a tool that is trying to help the user.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our handicap secretary calls it a stapleford. But then, he’s also a Liverpool fan. So he’s not got a lot going for him in life.

Lovely fella, though.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
That's a weak excuse. You can choose to proof read before hitting send, or you can choose to turn spell-check off altogether. It's not fair to shift responsibility onto a tool that is trying to help the user.

At the end of the day all I'm saying is that, before folks burst blood vessels....and I can already see some throbbing forehead veins amongst some posters...folks might just want to step back and consider that someone may not be the utter numpty that they are initially taken for....any number of issues might be at play that is preventing a person from getting it right...despite or in spite of whatever tool they may be using.

I know a number of people who would be delighted to just to be able to spell stapleford and get their message across....members of the word police all need to carry a mirror so they can be reminded each day that the world is not a perfect place.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I know a number of people who would be delighted to just to be able to spell stapleford and get their message across....members of the word police all need to carry a mirror so they can be reminded each day that the world is not a perfect place.

If I wanted a debate on the imperfections of society, I wouldn't choose the Golf Monthly Forum as the platform. It's safe to assume that the posts on here are light-hearted. Just to reassure you, nobody actually attacks anyone with a wedge just because they pronounce stableford incorrectly - the people who suggested that were just enjoying themselves. You might want to try holding up a mirror and see if you're smiling.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If I wanted a debate on the imperfections of society, I wouldn't choose the Golf Monthly Forum as the platform. It's safe to assume that the posts on here are light-hearted. Just to reassure you, nobody actually attacks anyone with a wedge just because they pronounce stableford incorrectly - the people who suggested that were just enjoying themselves. You might want to try holding up a mirror and see if you're smiling.

Many seem to do so though.

Nothing is safe on an internet forum....case in point....I met my wife on one!!!

I smile plenty thank you, including during this thread.

D

Deleted member 25172

I've actually never seen or heard anyone saying "Stapleford" before. Something I've never heard until I came to the UK is people saying "eXetera" instead of etcetera. Come to think of it, I've never heard an Englishman pronounce it correctly. Strange.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've actually never seen or heard anyone saying "Stapleford" before. Something I've never heard until I came to the UK is people saying "eXetera" instead of etcetera. Come to think of it, I've never heard an Englishman pronounce it correctly. Strange.

You could hear me saying it correctly - but then I'm Scottish and a Latin scholar.