Dr Stableford must be spinning in his coffin...

Does it bother you when people say/write stapleford instead of stableford?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NearHull

Visit site
Caecilius est in horto?
At the risk of taking this thread into areas the OP didn’t foresee. I’m afraid I had to use a Latin translator to understand your phrase as my failed Latin GCE knowledge was breached. The phrase wasn’t familiar to me. I think Latin may have been a bit much for me but I do recall another declining verb (in a past participal tense?)

Amabo
Amabis
Amabit
Amabunt
Amabatis
Amabant

Made a 12 year old snigger!

(Apologies for any inaccuracies- it was 46 years ago)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only took Latin for one year and the only thing I remember was the odd guy who sat in front of me. Something like Lemon or Lenin was his name.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had to do Latin at school for a year. Can't remember anything about it but our teacher was an eccentric (who got me playing cricket for the school old boys association and didn't mind buying me a beer after - imagine the reaction now!!!). Decent guy and a good teacher. There was a guy on the putting green this morning in the group who called it stapleford. I couldn't stop myself telling him. Must have been thinking about it on his first tee shot as it barely got past the ladies tee 20 yards in front. Ooops or should that be oh well

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Specific and pacific.. that is just hilarious don’t correct people who won’t be happy about being helped. But also don’t get wound up by it, there are far more important things in life ... like my golf swing!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Difference is you can NR at a hole in a Stableford comp and possibly still win the comp, NR at a hole in a stroke play comp, you're out of the comp. Big difference .

Not if the comp had been set up as Regular Strokeplay Maximum Score.

Now wait for the low handicappers to be up in arms over the very suggestion.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not if the comp had been set up as Regular Strokeplay Maximum Score.

Now wait for the low handicappers to be up in arms over the very suggestion.
Never came across maximum score comp yet, maybe next year, Most the open comps I've played were advertised as individual stroke play or Stableford.