Dr Stableford must be spinning in his coffin...

Does it bother you when people say/write stapleford instead of stableford?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
You should tell Golf Empire, they state comps will typically be Stableford or Strokeplay.

Attachments

• 20201221_153848stablefordr.jpg
    20201221_153848stablefordr.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 4
D

Deleted member 15344

You should tell Golf Empire, they state comps will typically be Stableford or Strokeplay.
https://www.randa.org/Rog/2019/Rules/The-Rules-of-Golf/Rule-21

Overview of Stableford
Stableford is a form of stroke play where:
  • A player’s or side's score for a hole is based on points awarded by comparing the player’s or side's number of strokes (including strokes made and penalty strokes) on the hole to a fixed target score for the hole set by the Committee, and
  • The competition is won by the player or side who completes all rounds with the most points.
The normal Rules for stroke play in Rules 1-20 apply, as modified by these specific Rules. Rule 21.1 is written for:

There are two main formats in golf - strokeplay and matchplay

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.randa.org/Rog/2019/Rules/The-Rules-of-Golf/Rule-21

Overview of Stableford
Stableford is a form of stroke play where:
  • A player’s or side's score for a hole is based on points awarded by comparing the player’s or side's number of strokes (including strokes made and penalty strokes) on the hole to a fixed target score for the hole set by the Committee, and
  • The competition is won by the player or side who completes all rounds with the most points.
The normal Rules for stroke play in Rules 1-20 apply, as modified by these specific Rules. Rule 21.1 is written for:

There are two main formats in golf - strokeplay and matchplay
I know !, but you need to know what form/format the comp is being played before you start.

D

Deleted member 15344

I know !, but you need to know what form/format the comp is being played before you start.

I get where you are coming from - hence why I call it just Medal or Stableford- saves all the confusion

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get where you are coming from - hence why I call it just Medal or Stableford- saves all the confusion
Open comps are not advertised as medal.
EDIT , in Scotland we play very few Stableford comps [ 2 at most a year ] , we have Monthly strokeplay medals where obviously stableford is used for handicap purposes.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Folks seem to be mixing up format and scoring method when the two are separate and describe entirely different things. The Format is 'how you play' and scoring method is 'how you calculate results'

The format is Strokeplay, The method of scoring can be both medal &/or stableford. Using either scoring method doesn’t change the comp format... but I'm sure everyone knows that already

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Folks seem to be mixing up format and scoring method when the two are separate and describe entirely different things. The Format is 'how you play' and scoring method is 'how you calculate results'

The format is Strokeplay, The method of scoring can be both medal &/or stableford. Using either scoring method doesn’t change the comp format... but I'm sure everyone knows that already

Don't forget about Bogey - that will start another argument.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

IMO a lot of this confusion comes from the golf unions. I'd posted similar a bit back, as WHS could have been an opportunity to clarify and standardise.

https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/world-handicap-system-whs.104054/post-2252826