Does your halfway house do food like this?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I`m over in Japan finishing off our vacation. Yesterday I got to meet up with an old friend of mine to go off and play golf for the day. He`d arranged to take me to Takarazuka Kogen Golf Club in Hyogo. Out early doors as I was meeting his friend at a station about an hour away at 07:00 to be picked up and transferred to the golf club. I had no idea who I was meeting or what he looked like, but I`m sure it wasn`t too difficult for him to spot the 6' 2" Englishman waiting outside the station...........

We were chatting away during the car ride, turns out my new friend went to school in Milton Keynes for 3 years, about 20 years ago...... he was a student of my friend, who used to be a teacher at the Japanese school in MK, hence the tie in. Anyways, about 30 mins to the Golf Club. Unfortunately, it was persisting down with rain in a bad way, unlike today - blazing sunshine and 20 degrees.......but never mind.

It turns out that my new friend is the president of a drugstore chain, similar to Boots here in Japan, and the day was on him. I was given a little gift of waterproofs, since I`d foolishly neglected to bring any from the UK.... a set of rental clubs - the irons were good Tourstage (Bridgestone) with newish grips, but the driver and fiarway woods were all circa 1960....... but not complaining.

After coffee, we all adjourned to the buggy being kitted out by our caddy san, and off to the first tee. The course was great, up in the mountains, lots of raised tees down over drops to fairway/ greens. The caddy san was immense......a little old girl who had your yardage down to the pin for every shot that each of us played. After every shot I`d turn around and she was there to take my club and clean it (as she was for every player), often ready with the next club depending how close to the green we were. Info around the greens was extremely detailed, and she had the line of every putt without having to step behind the ball to see it - she knew the course like the back of her hand, very impressive. If you were eying up your next shot, she`d be standing beside you with the right club, or she`d be there to clean your ball, dry you rgrips, she`d be over the OB fence retrieving wayward balls, I can`t give her enough credit or praise, she was truly a blessing on a wet nasty day (weather wise).

By the second hole, I was only using the 3 wood, the driver was too wayward, but my companions all offered me their clubs to use.......just use any one, it`s only friendly golf. My friend the teacher, now competes in long drive competitions here, and offered me his driver first............bloomin `eck, a "Flying Cat" driver, 6.5 degrees, with a 5X stiff shaft.........my power fade truly was a power fade.........I think my ball came down somewhere near Hiroshima.....

One of the others offered me his Taylormade R9, 10.5 regular shaft which I fortunately smashed right down the middle. Stuck with the Taylormades after that and had a good round with them. My companions all wiped out the Flying Cat lunacy as a try out shot due to the extreme configuration of the club...... Seems my friend has a number of these, going from Stiff, to XS, 2X, 3X, 4X up to 6X, he decided only the 5X today, taking a bit off for the rain. Whilst I`ll admit that he can certainly hammer the skin off the ball, accuracy was a little wild, and he did end up playing a lot of provisionals.......

As is the norm in Japan, you break for lunch after 9 holes. First we had to strip off our waterproofs, hats and gloves, which were all put into a hot air locker to dry out whilst we ate. Into the restaurant for lunch and beer.....not my preferred halfway routine....but when in Rome and such...... A really nice tonkatsu washed down with Asahi beer and then back to the buggies. Our gear extracted from the drying locker was all fresh and dry, off to start again.

A couple of silly games lined up on the back nine. One hole where we can only speak Japanese, any English word spoken was a 100yen fine (80p), each time you spoke an English word, the fine increased by a 100yen, so if you spoke 3 English words you were in the hole for 600yen etc. The pot would go to nearest the pin. Same game a couple of holes later, this time we could only speak English, the fines were the same and again teh pot to nearest the hole.

The rain was really hammering down on the back 9, we were teh only 4 ball out there, everyone else had gone in, but we were having such a fun time it didn`t seem to matter. By the time we were round to 16, there was a lot of standing water on the fairways, and you would have been swept away with the current if you stood in the drain.....

After we came off the 18th, it was in to get changed, but a dip in the Japanese hot baths was first. Suitably warmed up, our very wet gear was still in need of drying time so we went back into the restaurant for a coffee.

Suitably sorted, we ventured back to town for a trip to a local restaurant where we had an absolutely magnificent dinner and a shed load of beer to flush it down. Despite the rain it was an absolutely amazing day, Japanese hospitality is one of the best in the world.

A few pics from the day here

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great story and some even better pics!

The food looked fantastic too wouldn't fancy a lunch halfway round though sounded and looked a bit too filling for me. Plus, once I had the beer I'd be looking to have a power nap ;)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Excellent write up and some great pics mate , nice one , is that bridge to the next tee mad high ? seems a great experience , hope ya tipped the caddy well or brought her home with you ha

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
love the write up and pics, my heart goes out to the bag lady san having to caddy for FOUR BLOKES! in the rain as well, tell me you gave her a BIG tip?

How come the Japanese seem to always have dark hair, must be the fish and Kelp

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
With food like that I'd need them to do me a hammock as well for a quick snooze.
Pictures are great, that one of the fairway in the distance looks like my worst nightmare :) lol

Japan is definitely on my "world tour of golf before I pop the clogs" list and this only serves to highlight why.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks great, how much would it normally be for a round there? I believe japan is very expensive.

We can't even have Bacon at our club with a breakfast, as it is semi-Jewish golf club!!!!

T

thecraw

The caddy looks as they she's dressed for a nuclear fall out dressed in that blue suit and hood!

Had a wee chuckle at you sitting there with your v- neck jumper, no collar and the three Japanese men in shirt and jacket. You'd get thrown out some clubs here dressed like that ya scruff!!!

:cheers:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Had a wee chuckle at you sitting there with your v- neck jumper, no collar and the three Japanese men in shirt and jacket. You'd get thrown out some clubs here dressed like that ya scruff!!!

:cheers:

Difficult one, I genuinely didn`t pack for rain, just didn`t enter my head before I left. played in the only collared shirt I had, expected to be wearing it at the end, but, was soaked to the skin wet........Judging by some of the stuff I see them wearing on the courses, I`m tame by comparison.

If anyone wants to see other pics from the trip, not golf related, you`re welcome to check out these links for some other interesting stuff.

Akiyoshi
Hagi

Random stuff

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Looks great, how much would it normally be for a round there? I believe japan is very expensive.

I didn`t ask..... and it is.....especially with the exchange rate at the moment....stupid expensive. We have just come back from our last family dinner before leaving. Usually it`s my treat as a thankyou, but my brother inlaw is working away from home in China and was back in for a couple of days to catch up with us as it`s a once a year trip. He insisted on picking up the tab, which was a huge relief when I saw the bill for 280 squid sitting on the table......

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
awesome pics Bryan, particularly the others posted. Would love to visit Japan, just a shame I hate fish :(

(the steak looked damn fine though ;) )

a few years till the kids are adults and I am going to do plenty of travelling