Does this count as a stroke?

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So playing tonight with some lads from work, this happened

[video=youtube_share;ccUqqcV7uVM]http://youtu.be/ccUqqcV7uVM[/video]

Now, I believe if you swing and miss your tee shot it doesn't count as a stroke (doesn't Kevin Name do this often?), but what about this?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes that is a stroke.

Definition from the rules:
Rules of Golf 2012-15 said:
A "stroke" is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke.

His intention was to hit the ball. He just failed that to comedic effect but still a stroke. Can't re-tee either because the ball is now in play.

Hope you took the mick out of that one. Not only did he fail to get past the ladies tee. He failed to get past the tee markers!

Last edited:

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're trying to have a bit of a larf, aren't you?? :confused:

He addressed the ball, he swung at the ball, he hit the ball (just) - it was just a whiff.

Just what is it about making a stroke that you don't understand?

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was fairly sure it's a stroke, but I do remember Na not being charged a stroke when he whiffed. Found a video on the rules in that situation and, off the tee, it's about whether you intend to hit the ball, not whether you do hit it or not. It was a good excuse to share a funny moment too:thup:

[video=youtube_share;cGlbo7lLVkE]http://youtu.be/cGlbo7lLVkE[/video]

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was fairly sure it's a stroke, but I do remember Na not being charged a stroke when he whiffed. Found a video on the rules in that situation and, off the tee, it's about whether you intend to hit the ball, not whether you do hit it or not. It was a good excuse to share a funny moment too:thup:

[video=youtube_share;cGlbo7lLVkE]http://youtu.be/cGlbo7lLVkE[/video]

Voluntarily checked his swing. Very hard to do at times. I think there is a great one of tiger doing the same.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
[h=2]14/1.5[/h][h=4]Intent to Strike Ball Ceases During Downswing; Club Not Stopped But Path of Clubhead Altered to Avoid Striking Ball[/h]Q.A player begins his downswing with the intention of striking the ball but decides during the downswing not to strike the ball. The player is unable to stop the club before it reaches the ball, but he is able to swing intentionally over the top of the ball. Is the player deemed to have made a stroke?
A.No. The player is considered to have checked his downswing voluntarily by altering the path of his downswing and missing the ball even though the swing carried the clubhead beyond the ball.
If the player had not successfully checked his downswing (i.e., he had struck the ball), he is considered to have made a stroke.
Any doubt regarding the player's intent must be resolved against the player.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Years ago, I think it was Hale Irwin, went to tap in a tiny putt and missed over the top of the ball.
Cost him a Major if my dodgy memory serves me.

re OP, he did not even get it past his wooden tee!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I had an incident last week (first time in 20yrs) where the ball fell off the tee literally as I was 75% to the ball in my downswing and I just couldn't stop. I still managed to nobble the ball 100yds down the fairway and was fairly pleased (and surprised) that I'd managed to adjust and actually get some part of the club on the ball, it felt instinctive to still try and hit the ball even though it was suddenly on the floor.... but annoyed that I wasn't quick minded enough to able to adjust my swing AWAY from the ball and just swing over the empty tee peg. I think knowing the rule might have saved me but had I swung over the empty tee peg on purpose it would have been really hard to persuade my playing partner that I had intentionally missed the ball and not just made an air shot.

I've had balls fall off the tee peg before but not that late into my downswing! Frankly I'm still surprised I managed to hit it :p