Does The European Market Mean Nothing to Footjoy?

Mr Fastidious

Hacker
Visit site
I returned a faulty pair of shoes back to Footjoy 9 months ago for them to replace them with another pair that fell apart after another 9 months, now they say that as I have had the 2 pairs over 12 months they are no longer covered under warranty, the fact of the matter should be that there shoes fell apart after 9 months and not fit for purpose! and the really annoying bit is that the USA get 24 months warranty, WHY!

Is the European market not important to them? why are we treated differently?

Replaced the Footjoy's with Under Armour Spieth 2 shoes which come with a 24 month warranty and are lovely, thank you Under Armour.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had the same issue with Stuburt. 3 pairs failed but the third pair failed a couple of weeks after 12 months following purchasing the 1st pair. Even though I had only had the 3rd pair for a couple of months it didn't matter. Needless to say I have never bought a Stuburt product again and never will. No doubt you will be the same with FJ.

I wonder if the European market is deemed harsher in terms of weather in comparison to the US and so 12 months here is equivalent to 12 in the US?

Mr Fastidious

Hacker
Visit site
According to climate data for London, London averages 22.976 inches (583.6 millimeters) of precipitation per year. Compare that to precipitation in major U.S. cities and London doesn't even make the top 15 rainiest cities. Even New York City is rainier than London, with an average of 49.9 inches of rain per year. In fact, when it comes to cities, the six rainiest big cities in the United States average more than 50 inches per year and are:
  • New Orleans, Louisiana, the city with the most precipitation in the U.S., gets on average of 62.7 inches of rain per year.
  • Miami, Florida (yes, even sunny Miami gets more rain than London!)
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Jacksonville, Florida
  • Orlando, Florida (No one calls Orlando "Rainy Orlando", but it gets a lot more rain that London does.)
The rainiest place in the USA is Mt. Waialeale on Kauai in Hawaii, which gets approximately 460 inches (11,684 millimeters) of rain each year.

That's quite a bit more than London!

Maybe you're thinking, even if it doesn't get a high volume of rain, it still rains a little bit every day in London, doesn't it? Again, according to London climate data, the city averages approximately 106 rainy days per year. It may sound like a lot, but 106 days per year really isn't that many days when you think about how that leaves 259 dry days. So more than half of London's days are not rainy.
There are several cities in the USA that average rainy days way above London's 106 days. The cities with the most rainy days (rather than the highest volume of rain) are:
  • Rochester, New York and Buffalo, New York with 167 days each a year (or just 198 dry days), which is a little less than half of the year.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the same issue with Stuburt. 3 pairs failed but the third pair failed a couple of weeks after 12 months following purchasing the 1st pair. Even though I had only had the 3rd pair for a couple of months it didn't matter. Needless to say I have never bought a Stuburt product again and never will. No doubt you will be the same with FJ.

I wonder if the European market is deemed harsher in terms of weather in comparison to the US and so 12 months here is equivalent to 12 in the US?

Probably something to do with them parking their fat behinds in a buggy rather than walking. Not going to cause much wear to your shoes if you only walk on the greens and tee boxes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
According to climate data for London, London averages 22.976 inches (583.6 millimeters) of precipitation per year. Compare that to precipitation in major U.S. cities and London doesn't even make the top 15 rainiest cities. Even New York City is rainier than London, with an average of 49.9 inches of rain per year. In fact, when it comes to cities, the six rainiest big cities in the United States average more than 50 inches per year and are:
  • New Orleans, Louisiana, the city with the most precipitation in the U.S., gets on average of 62.7 inches of rain per year.
  • Miami, Florida (yes, even sunny Miami gets more rain than London!)
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • Memphis, Tennessee
  • Jacksonville, Florida
  • Orlando, Florida (No one calls Orlando "Rainy Orlando", but it gets a lot more rain that London does.)
The rainiest place in the USA is Mt. Waialeale on Kauai in Hawaii, which gets approximately 460 inches (11,684 millimeters) of rain each year.

That's quite a bit more than London!

Maybe you're thinking, even if it doesn't get a high volume of rain, it still rains a little bit every day in London, doesn't it? Again, according to London climate data, the city averages approximately 106 rainy days per year. It may sound like a lot, but 106 days per year really isn't that many days when you think about how that leaves 259 dry days. So more than half of London's days are not rainy.
There are several cities in the USA that average rainy days way above London's 106 days. The cities with the most rainy days (rather than the highest volume of rain) are:
  • Rochester, New York and Buffalo, New York with 167 days each a year (or just 198 dry days), which is a little less than half of the year.

Maybe that just supports the 24 months in US
More chance of being fair-weather players (from the ones I've met) so they only wear the shoes x times in 24 months compared to same number of wears in UK in 12 months

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is daft. If a product fails to last it's warranty, then the warranty should restart once you get the replacement pair. That's just basic common sense to me. If you need a replacement 10 months into a year's warranty, then you now have a new product with only 2 months warranty. Stupid.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There isn't a lot of golf played in wet conditions in America because rain is often accompanied by Thunder.

Pacific North West is pretty wet and I'm sure Footjoy on average, do worse there with footwear guarantees.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mr F, I think someone has picked up on this but for Florida for example, when it rains it bombs it down and during the summer it is joined with lightning, meaning no golf. It will have a greater rainfall than London but golfers will not be out in those conditions so the shoes are not being worn. I think we have longer spells of poor weather, although not as intense, and so just get on with playing, waterproofs on etc. I know that is a bit of a generalisation but you get the gist of what I am saying.

I also believe, as has been mentioned, that most people play in buggies over there so the shoes are not getting 5 miles of trudging through wet grass each round.

These things may come into the equation.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I returned a faulty pair of shoes back to Footjoy 9 months ago for them to replace them with another pair that fell apart after another 9 months, now they say that as I have had the 2 pairs over 12 months they are no longer covered under warranty, the fact of the matter should be that there shoes fell apart after 9 months and not fit for purpose! and the really annoying bit is that the USA get 24 months warranty, WHY!

Is the European market not important to them? why are we treated differently?

Replaced the Footjoy's with Under Armour Spieth 2 shoes which come with a 24 month warranty and are lovely, thank you Under Armour.

Maybe a little known fact but the warranty doesn't restart if you have something replaced after xx months. You only get the remainder of the original warranty period.

As to warranty period in the UK only being one year. Its what manufacturer's only have to comply with, but some do offer more, e.g. that warranty you received on the UA gear. Here in Spain I get a 2 year warranty on everything I buy - its the law here.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm a long term FJ fan but even I feel the quality of the product is dropping off and there are more brands out there that are producing equally as good if not better products. Is it a case of FJ lying on their laurels, trying to be too innovative, or simply cutting corners in terms of production. As for the warranty, isn't a one tear fairly standard. Pretty sure Adidas are the same but big thumbs up to UA for offering 24 months

Jimbop90

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you really think anyone would ever pay for another pair of shoes if manufacturers gave a fresh warranty on replacements? Too many chancers in the world for companies to work like that.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd never buy FJ shoes again after my Hydrolites fell apart after 6 months, then my pp's Hydroflex lasted around 3 months before returning them for another brand at the pro shop.
It's just not worth the risk spending lots of cash on shoes with the risk they're likely to fail well within a year.