Does. The driving range mark or damage woods

steviehex

Hacker
Visit site
I've go 2 great woods and don't want to damage them but yesterday the bloke next to me had some tape on the bottom of his.I was going to ask him but he wasn't having a good day judging by the amount of swearing he was quietly doing.should I tape mine as well?
Thanks

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've go 2 great woods and don't want to damage them but yesterday the bloke next to me had some tape on the bottom of his.I was going to ask him but he wasn't having a good day judging by the amount of swearing he was quietly doing.should I tape mine as well?
Thanks

sounds like he needed the tape over his mouth!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
depends on the mats and how well kept they are. ours get vacuumed every night so they are stone and grit free

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes. The sprung artificial 'turf' at my local range has ruined the paint on the bottom of my Ping fairway 'woods' and hybrids.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks

it's pretty normal that the soles of the clubs (exception being driver) will get wear marks on them - that's the case through shots at the golf course as grit/stone scratches etc through ground contact more so in summer and hard ground - this kinda normal wear is not goin to 'damage' them performance-wise

also with range matts you get the substance from the mat both dirt & 'nylon type' compound rubbing the soles - this kinda dull green/gray/black marks from range mats will for the large part clean off

not necessary to tape the soles up - plus you can't 'alter' clubs & play in comps

if there is a Pro shop at the range what they tend to do often times if someone wants to try out clubs before buying then sometimes they will tape up the soles & also sometimes the face to protect then if the try out doesn't lead to sale so they are getting put back up for sale - so maybes that was what was goin down with that

Last edited: