Does Rory need to change Caddy

Does Rory need to change caddy

• Total voters

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Very much split on GM

It’s a discussion that’s been had for a while

Rory has won a lot with Harry carrying his bag but no majors

Always been in the believe that Rory is very much his own person and the reason he didn’t win wasn’t down to the caddy

But maybe it is time to look at someone more experienced on the bag

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've voted yes, but I'm not sure need the right word. I just think it can't hurt at this point. A great caddie can't really help with missing three-footers under pressure. But it certainly could have helped him make a better club selection on the 16th and 18th tees.

Matsuyama won the Masters with a caddie who does very little besides carry the bag (well that's what we were told anyway). So it can be done, different players have different needs. I guess I'm on the fence really, but you didn't have a fence option so I voted yes on the basis that, he's won no majors in the 7 years he's had Harry on the bag, so he might as well try something else. Consensus seems to be that his game is up there with the very best, but when he falls it's a mental issue.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I mentioned this on twitter a few years back and quite a well followed sports writer hammered me for even suggesting it, said Harry is one of the most hardworking caddies on tour and he'd get another job the same day....so yeah get him fired.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've voted yes, but I'm not sure need the right word. I just think it can't hurt at this point. A great caddie can't really help with missing three-footers under pressure. But it certainly could have helped him make a better club selection on the 16th and 18th tees.

Matsuyama won the Masters with a caddie who does very little besides carry the bag (well that's what we were told anyway). So it can be done, different players have different needs. I guess I'm on the fence really, but you didn't have a fence option so I voted yes on the basis that, he's won no majors in the 7 years he's had Harry on the bag, so he might as well try something else. Consensus seems to be that his game is up there with the very best, but when he falls it's a mental issue.
I agree with this but actually voted No, on the grounds that it probably wasn't his caddies fault and it's not obvious that a caddie change is what is needed, though I agree a change of caddie may be a refresher that helps.

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site
Someone like Steve Williams?
Harry can also give him the club which puts the ball in the fairway bunker on the 72nd hole at Royal Lytham.

Are there any caddies around who are known “professional “ caddies, went to caddie college and never let the player hit a different club from what they’d advise?

D

Deleted member 29109

How did Rob Mac manage to win with has dad on the bag for just one week?

sjw

Visit site
Driver should have been NOWHERE NEAR Rory's hands on 18. It should've been snapped in half and buried in the native area.

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site
I've changed my view on this, and I've voted yes - as much as anything so he's got someone he can properly talk through decisions on the course. The Caddy can't make or miss the putts, but they can talk him into 8i on 15 and 3w on 18.
What makes you think Rory would listen to someone else?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Driver should have been NOWHERE NEAR Rory's hands on 18. It should've been snapped in half and buried in the native area.
He took 3 wood on 14 and put in the waste area so I think Driver against 3 Wood on the last was a 50-50, It was a difficult fairway to hit, get closer to the green and take your chance from there. Everyone uses hindsight as if Driver automatically puts you in a bad lie and 3 wood puts you in the middle of the fairway

sjw

Visit site
He took 3 wood on 14 and put in the waste area so I think Driver against 3 Wood on the last was a 50-50, It was a difficult fairway to hit, get closer to the green and take your chance from there. Everyone uses hindsight as if Driver automatically puts you in a bad lie and 3 wood puts you in the middle of the fairway
He hadn't hit driver on that hole all week, nor had he hit a cut that I can remember, on pretty much any hole. It's not just hindsight and Faldo and Radar were indeed questioning it before he hit