Does going up point one matter to you ?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Want to be the best we can...however, it’s the realisation that on some days, it just doesn’t happen. Every round of golf is the same - shoot the lowest score possible, but if I get 0.1 back, then it’s not the end of the world.

Have to say it matters not one bit to me
It’s a game, a hobby, Chance to meet up with mates

But the above post sums it up pretty well

I’d guess we all start out at the 1st with hope....
Just that to some, like myself, if it’s not to be your day, then getting 0.1 back is no real issue
Wouldn’t lose any sleep over it that’s for sure

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends on how your game is, for me I'm normally hit and miss except for Sept17 - May 18 where I had an unbelievable solid period and shot over my handicap twice the rest just cuts all be it winter comps. 0.1 hurts bad especially when your hitting it well and can't see the light at the end. I've calmed down my expectations since June and leaving with the outcome that getting lower than ever 3.4 or below is a distant memory again well until the next burst of golfing energy arrives.

Unretired from cricket due to poor performance on the golf course, never thought that would happen again at 45. chin up grind on

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If i miss buffer by a mile then i wont like it but i will accept it.

When i miss by a shot or two then it stings a little as there would be the odd bit of good golf in there.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

When i miss by a shot or two then it stings a little as there would be the odd bit of good golf in there.

Know exactly what you mean. Missed buffer by 1 Sunday and that stung, two lapses of concentration in the baking heat cost me a decent medal score. Yes 0.1 is annoying but it's usually the manner in which it is earned that bothers me the most!

And then I reflect and realise I've not played much golf lately and should be more than happy with the 0.2 cut Saturday, it's just such a small gain for a lot of good golf and a couple of aberrations!

D

Deleted member 16999

Know exactly what you mean. Missed buffer by 1 Sunday and that stung, two lapses of concentration in the baking heat cost me a decent medal score. Yes 0.1 is annoying but it's usually the manner in which it is earned that bothers me the most!

^^ This for me ^^

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Another thought to bear in mind if those .1's are hurting. If the first time you touch a golf club is the Saturday morning of the comp., be realistic about your chances of playing great.

No one ever got good at this game by playing less. I have stopped entering winter comps. as I was not having any chance to play or practice during the week, first swing of the week was the pre-shot swing in a comp. That kind of prep is unlikely to result in a great outcome.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

This was me on Saturday, I knew I needed to par the last to make buffer but the game is over 18 holes so the bogey on the last wasn't the only one.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
To those who have said it doesn't matter to them...

What drives you to improve? Some of you have bloody good handicaps for someone who doesn't care if you've gotten worse!

I don’t have any particular drive to improve tbh

I play purely for enjoyment, Golf doesn’t really matter to me in the grand scheme of things so 0.1’s certainly don’t.

Doesn’t mean I don’t want to play well every time but I don’t practice so erratic golf is inevitable

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only when my exact is x.4.

I played for nearly 20 years with my handicap varying between a low of 5.4 and a high of 6.4.

It was only when the 6.4 became 6.5, 6.6, 6.7 and so on it started to bother me

Good thought that. I don't mind going up 0.1s - but however long a run of 0.1s might be I want to feel that I will be able to stop them and turn things around. If I don't feel that, and they continue - then it might matter to me...

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
0.1 bugs me if I've been close to buffer, if I've been terrible then it doesn't annoy me quite so much. Missed buffer by one at the weekend which is frustrating, especially with two stupid double bogeys on the card.

In the cold light of day I'm only playing once every couple of weeks at the moment - 7 qualifiers all season - due to work and a young family, so I shouldn't have any expectations of doing well. When put like that 3 x 0.1s back and four buffers from the seven comps isn't too bad really and I'm hopeful that if I can get a run of games in then there could be a cut on the way.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To those who have said it doesn't matter to them...

What drives you to improve? Some of you have bloody good handicaps for someone who doesn't care if you've gotten worse!

For me it is a simple acceptance that I am never going to be as good as I once was. Age and injuries have seen to that.