Does going up point one matter to you ?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only matters since it means I’ve failed to meet the minimum of my scoring targets. Lipped out Saturday and missed buffer. Disappointed yes, devastated hardly. Already, more concerned with getting a cold beer by the time I’ve left the green.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
i don't like it but its one thing you risk in playing in a competition, I played in nearly 40 last season, an awful lot were on away courses. If 0.1 bothered me I would play in qualifiers at away courses.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I try my best to avoid a 0.1, and would only be concerned if I had a string of them. I never give up during a round - last year I needed two net eagles on the last two to buffer, was over the moon when I got them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It irritates but that's usually it. However the one that really irks is that one that tips you over to a 0.5 and up a shot. That one is annoying especially if the round was close to the buffer zone. I'm trying hard to get better and an odd 0.1 isn't too bad on it's own. It's when one becomes two, and two becomes three etc

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't like it but with a buffer of 1 shot it is inevitable. Playing opens it is difficult to play to handicap especially if SSS is less than par.

D

Deleted member 15717

Doesn’t bother me one bit. It’s only 0.1, and in the grand scheme of things it is such a tiny thing

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So before I start, if this has no interest in your game, step away from the topic, to whom it may concern, does the going up of point one bother you ??

Kinda off the back of my own weekend experience and the topic about someone not handing a card in (though I don't quite understand that topic haha)

I missed buffer on Saturday by bogeying the last, only the second time I've been outside buffer all season, devastated I was :whoo: so does it bother you when you go up point one ??

it depends, if a medal i am distraught but if only a stupid stableford, i don't care

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course - I want to win every competition I enter.

If I can't win, I want to at least get a cut.

If I can't get a cut, I want to at least buffer.

Getting 0.1 back is basically the worst measurable outcome.

This for me, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. This time last year I thought I wouldn't make it past Christmas. However, I would like to think that I can stay Cat 1 until I'm 65, which is still 9 years away.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Per thread title: Does it matter to me? Not personally, but it can change my playing handicap so it matters to me for working out my adjusted score/points in subsequent games

Per opening post: Does it bother me? A bit especially if it was due to poor decisions when I should know better or messing up on basic shot execution. Although I know I cant expect to shoot buffer every time I'd be less bothered if the .1's were due to conditions or environment rather than my own screw-ups

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
To those who have said it doesn't matter to them...

What drives you to improve? Some of you have bloody good handicaps for someone who doesn't care if you've gotten worse!

D

Deleted member 15717

To those who have said it doesn't matter to them...

What drives you to improve? Some of you have bloody good handicaps for someone who doesn't care if you've gotten worse!

Want to be the best we can...however, it’s the realisation that on some days, it just doesn’t happen. Every round of golf is the same - shoot the lowest score possible, but if I get 0.1 back, then it’s not the end of the world.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Not the end of the world for me. I want to be as low as I possibly can, but put more stock in how I managed the round rather than necessarily the score.

Have I been able to execute what I wanted to do, but the shots just didn't quite come off ? I have had days when I played pretty ropey golf and come in with 38 points and other days striped it and come in with 31, sometimes it just doesn't work out.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Nah. 0.1 is nothing. A run of point 1’s is different.

If it was just a 0.1, then generally no bother. As it is of late, read last 18 months, I've done nothing but 0.1 in pretty much every comp,dropping from 13.2 to 14.7. The way I'm playing at the moment, struggling to make mid 20 points wise in any rounds. The game is a shambles, and now really hurts to play in any form of comp as I can't just compete. You could give me another 10 shots right now and I still wouldn't play near handicap, so at the moment, yes it would bother me, and it would bother me way too much.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me it depends on how I go up 0.1. If its because I've been awful all day then I am gutted. If its because I've had some bad breaks or missed a putt on the last for example like yourself, then I'm not too bothered.

Its something I have had to get used to recently though.

On 22/11/15, my handicap was 27.7. First comp I entered in 2016 I was down to 21.7. Entered another comp 4 days later. Down to 19.7. I lost 8 shots in the space of 4 days and 2 competitions. In my opinion, that is a big ask for anyone and I'm not surprised I've had a lot of 0.1s back over the space of a year and now off 20.7.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd love to say that it doesn't bother me, and that I only play the game to have a craic with my mates.

Whilst the latter is true....In reality, 0.1 back does bothers me as work hard at my game, and, especially this past 2 years, have practiced quite a bit to try and get lower.